Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Thanks for the info and recommendations, everyone. I think that I will order the B&W goosneck and Companion hitch tomorrow A.M.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #22
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Great choice. I have had mine for four months now going out about every weekend. Very easy the hitch and unhitch.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I ordered the B&W Turnoverball and Companion 5er hitch from Tweety's (in Texas) this morning, and he said it might be at my door in Oregon tomorrow, or on Wednesday for sure!? I guess they have a warehouse or supplier in Portland, so that is good news.

Next is the adventure of the install.

Got quotes that were all over the map. Camping World in Troutdale bid it 8hrs @ $104/hr. I asked the gal, "$832 for install only?!!", three times just to make sure we were on the same page. That is just plain insane!!

Next, I drove to the CW in Wilsonville, because the CW in Troutdale was out of stock on something else that I was wanting to get on the last day it was on sale. I inquired about installing it there and was quoted 2 hrs @ $80/hr, "but it may take longer", bid.

I then called B&W in Kansas, and was informed by their installer, that it takes him an hour to do the install. He gave me 4 phone numbers for local installers, and the best bid was $200, the worst $275.

I guess that I will give it a shot myself. I can't see it taking me over 3-4 hours, an hour of that, jack-jaw time with my buddy before we even get our hands dirty. He has a mag-base drill to make the 4" hole in the bed, which eliminates the danger of twisting my arms off with a handheld drill. The rest of the install is just nuts, bolts, and a torque wrench. Mustn't forget the "Job well done" beers, after the successful endeavor, while we stand around admiring our manly handiwork. I suppose that will add considerable time to the bottom line though!

"What could possibly go wrong?", he said (with the slightest quivering of trepidation in his voice).
Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
KTManiac, good choice on the B&W system. It took 1 hour to install my system and they also installed the in-bed 7 blade electric connector. I elected to have the experts installed our B&W. My cost including tax 9.5% sales tax was $1,107.00. Perfect install and everything works. We are in Gulf Shores as of yesterday, hooking and unhooking is very easy and fast. The B&W is the safest hitch as for being hooked we have owned if the pin is in your hooked. I suggest you make sure of your measurements and cut the holes. If you install the Gooseneck safety chain connectors you will have to drill extra holes (4) and in most States if you pull a Gooseneck you will be required to have the safety chains. I use a Teflon lube plate and it elimnates the use of grease on 5th wheel hitch. Good Luck. GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
If that price included both hitches with install, in bed harness, and sales tax, you got a heck of a deal. I also got quotes for the same process. $1,800 - $2,100, ...and we don't have sales tax! Crazy, huh?!

We planned on swinging through TN on our way back home from picking up the 5er in IN, to visit relatives. We could have flip-flopped our route, and had a better deal with less hassle, if I would have known about your deal. Oh well, it's all an adventure, n'est-ce pas?

Edit: Wow! It's 10am here and my hitches just showed up. Less than 24hr delivery, that's impressive! Now, for the fun part.....

Will have a report for you after the week-end is over.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Interesting to note how much people say their rig "squats" down when the 5'er settles onto it. I must have done something right when I ordered our 1 ton GMC, SRW. When we lower the 3400 onto the hitch, the truck drops 1 inch max. And yes, I didn't believe my eyes....so I got the tape out and did it again. 1 inch. Regarding the hitch and the pull test, I do the "bump" every time when hooked up, with the landing gear just off the ground a bit. Our Reese also has a sliding handle that is very clear to see, and if the jaws aren't closed completely, I can't get the lock through the hole. I also visually check the jaws as well.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #27
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I installed the B&W myself in June. Took me a couple of hours with a little help from my neigbor. I am handy but no mechanic. I also installed the electric connector in bed. Got everything from Tweety's too. I did have to loosen the bed of the F350 to get the hitch installed. That really was no big deal though. I think you will be very happy with the B&W and it feels good to do it yourself sometimes.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
iowaone,

That is good news to hear, thanks!