Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Tire Pressure

We are baffled...Instructed to air tires when cold, but as you get down the road truck alerts you to tire pressure. Tires are too full because we went from 50degrees and drizzle to 85 degrees and sun. How do you guys handle this problem? Towing with 2500HDChevy and tires says to air to 80lb cold. If this is happening on the truck it also is happening on the rig. Also how often do you guys change your fuel filter. Is this something best done by a professional? Iknow a lot you drive this truck because it gets the job done... Truck has 11,000 miles and says we have 47%fuel filter life left. Should we go by the truck computer.....or ???? Thanks Guys

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Tire pressure is done as you describe...cold inflate to 80psi. They will increase when driven in various conditions and speeds and that change is not intended for you to deflate them but to drive safely (within the recommenations)...tire I think says 65mph max?

Regarding your filter...I do my own changes as described in the owners manual or IF I know I got hit with bad fuel. No clue how that Chevy computer manages its predication or if its reliable. I'm sure you'll get others giving you recommendations so you can make an informed decision.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dandt,

As Noneck indicates you should check and air your tires while cold. I air mine to 80 psi. I do not have a tire monitor so I just check mine manually. I have a temp checking device that I use while traveling. I just look for big differences in temp.

Doesn't your tire monitor have a way to set the alert pounds or temp? If it does then just set it a bit higher.

I change or have changed the fuel filter about every 30k. I carry an extra with me.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis-- I think dandt is talking about his monitor in his Chevy. I have the same monitor in mine and it tells you your tire pressure for each tire on the truck or TV. I run mine a little lower than recommended since I'm not fulltiming and not towing the Monte all the time.

dandt-- I have my fuel filter changed about every other to every third oil change by the dealer. I was told by the mechanics at the dealer that the fuel filter can go to 25% on the readout or even less but I don't trust that. I have 28000+ on mine now and have changed the fuel filter twice. I had the basic or original oil and filter changed as recommended by the manual and had the fuel filter changed then also just incase there was some stuff in the lines or tank that shouldn't have been there when I took pocession. It was free so why not! Since then I have my oil changed every 6-7000 miles even though the shop puts 3000 on the little sticker on the windshield. Diesels can go longer than gas engines for oil changes but as soon as you have the oil changed and drive it home-- the oil looks like it's old and dirty already (just the way diesels are).
This is my humble opinion anyway!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rondo,

So you're talking about a built in tire monitor? A tire monitor is a tire monitor isn't it? Is there an adjusting device on it?

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dandt, when your fuel filter becomes dirty and fuel is not flowing to the rail at the proper pressure, the truck will go into what is called a LIMP MODE. You will know this because your truck will not go over 2,000 rpm. I change mine when the computer tells me. I carry a spare with me because I have pumped bad fuel before causing it to go into the LIMP MODE. It is not hard to change.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I change oil and filters as GMC recommends.

Tires are always checked when cold not when hot. Tire pressure is always adjusted when tires are cold not when hot.
Tire monitors monitor tire pressure but than again so does the old manual tire gauge. If you started out with properly inflated tires, Pay no attention to either monitor or gauge when it says the tire is over inflated when hot and NEVER decrease the pressure in a hot tire. IF the monitor or gauge says you have lost pressure hot or cold than take corrective action.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The tire pressures placed on the tires by the manufacturers are the optimum pressures (cold) for full loads and this pressure takes into consideration the heat and pressure build-up that occurs during travel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dennis--NOPE!! Just a readout of each tire. the front comes up on one screen and the backs on the next after you push the button!! Sorry about answering you this late but I've been out at the farm putting up hay!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Just for info, you will get about 1% of tire pressure change for every 5 degrees of temperature change.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the pressure pro tire monitoring system. We learned a lot at the fall rally at a seminar done by Goodyear tire. There are a lot of myths out there..How's this. Goodyear says.....pressure your tires as per the manufacturers recommendations for best performance??? Who wants to hear that//// We pressure the 3400 tires to 80psi cold as recommended and we normally see 85/88 on the road.. have never seen over 90.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thanks for all the imput. This forum rocks for any information needed on Tow Vehicles or Montanas.
We love the full-timing lifestyle...
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
There 'new' monitors give us a view into stuff we never saw before (i.e. the rise in pressure as a tire heats up). This now gives you the capability to know if you have a bearing or brake heating things up before damage is done (much the same as using an infra-red reader immediately after stopping). However, we do need to learn what is 'normal' for our rigs as each will be different given the loads and, more importantly, current weather conditions. My wife's car has been giving her a low tire warning the past two days -- yet when we check pressures at lunch they are correct (37 degrees at 6:30 this morning, 70 at lunch). No adjustment available so I'll air them all up this Saturday while cool and hope that will take car of it until the end of the month when sub-freezing temps are possible. Guess I'd better check the trailer then as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote