Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
Yoganut

M.O.C. #7414
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

PIN WEIGHT, pin weight, pin weight, pin weight, PIN WEIGHT..... That is how much weight is on the rear axle of your truck and is it within spec's... How well the truck pulls has NOTHING to do with how much weight is on the rear axle of your truck. How well you can pull up hill and over dale has NOTHING to do with how much weight is on the rear axle of your truck. How comfortable the camper feels behind you has NOTHING to do with the weight on the rear axle of your truck.....There is a spec for every truck..find out what it is ..then do what you feel is best.

Yoganut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Wrench!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Well, what do ya know...good to see you again!

You see...people do pay attention.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Yoganut

M.O.C. #7414
I missed you guys. How do you like my new handle?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hi, Don! New persona. Same Don, I hope. Good to hear from you!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #26
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Pull and tow what you feel comfortable doing in end it's you that has to deal with any issues that may or may not arise. From a technical side of it several things come into play. Lord forbid that you have an accident and your at fault or not at fault. if first you are over weight from what the posted sticker on your truck calls for then you are in violation and can be held responsible. if you are over weight and not tagged for enough weight to handle the whole load truck and trailer then your at fault and can be ticketed as well. If you have accident and either are involved your insurance company can and will more than likely not be help responsible or liable due to your negligence, read fine print on your insurance policy, they can get out of just about anything if they want to and if you give them an out they will take it. In that case your own your own dollar. Just my 2 cents worth, again it's up to the risk the individual is willing to take.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #27
Yoganut

M.O.C. #7414
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Hi, Don! New persona. Same Don, I hope. Good to hear from you!
Hi Dave, same old Don, still crazy and still smiling. I hope life is treating Cheryl and You well. Take care and keep smiling.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think anyone can legitimately disagree that the 3400 will probably put you over the rating on payload and possibly other ratings. What you have to do is to take a hard look at the situation and then decide for yourself.

I can't speak to the Chevy but I can tell you that on both the Ford and the Dodge the only difference between the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton single rear wheel is the leaf springs in the rear. Many of us who have towed the 3400 and other heavyweights with 3/4 ton trucks have added airbags to make up the spring difference. That does not change the numbers on the stickers. Nothing changes that. It only changes the capability of the truck's suspension.

You have to look at other factors as well. Axle rating. Tire ratings. If you are over axle ratings you risk damage to the axle. If you are over tire ratings you risk blowing a tire.

Some will argue that blowing a tire is a safety issue. And it can be. I've had blowouts both on the Montana and on truck and never experienced any control issues. That may not always be the case. But tires can blow even when under ratings.

Look at the frame. The Dodge and Ford frames are very heavy. Fully boxed. I don't know about the GM. Something to check. I think it's probably fine but don't know that for sure.

I ran our Ford over the axle rating for many, many thousands of miles and saw no problems. That's not a guarantee for you. I got 70k miles from the OEM tires and they were still wearing flat and had another 5k to 7k miles remaining. No problems with those tires whatsoever.

Bottom line is to look at the ratings for each component on your truck and decide for yourself whether it is safe or not. Many 1 ton single rear wheel trucks, including mine, will be over the payload rating, also.

The other issue is liability. Check with both your attorney and your insurance agent, as I did. In the United States those ratings hold no legal meaning. You will NOT be in violation of any laws if you are over the payload rating. If you have an accident, your insurance will still pay (mine will). However, if someone decides the cause of the accident is that you were over the payload, you will likely find yourself involved in a lawsuit. You may lose or you may not. At that point your insurance company may decide to drop you. If you are in Canada, I understand the legal issues are different there and you may in fact be in violation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 AM   #29
Yoganut

M.O.C. #7414
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Pull and tow what you feel comfortable doing in end it's you that has to deal with any issues that may or may not arise. From a technical side of it several things come into play. Lord forbid that you have an accident and your at fault or not at fault. if first you are over weight from what the posted sticker on your truck calls for then you are in violation and can be held responsible. if you are over weight and not tagged for enough weight to handle the whole load truck and trailer then your at fault and can be ticketed as well. If you have accident and either are involved your insurance company can and will more than likely not be help responsible or liable due to your negligence, read fine print on your insurance policy, they can get out of just about anything if they want to and if you give them an out they will take it. In that case your own your own dollar. Just my 2 cents worth, again it's up to the risk the individual is willing to take.
Good post and something like I would have written as Wrenchtraveller.
Now as Yoganut, if I heard a brother was planning on pulling his Big Sky with his power wheel chair, I will smile calmly and wish him well.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hey Don nice to see you back over here...Try to control yourself as I always do????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote