Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Bert, this looks like a great price, but I don't see where it says it works on a 30 amp system. The hard wire 50 amp listed here does say specifically that it works with 30 amp power. You are saying that yours does and that they should have included that info in that paragraph?

And do you use that locking clasp. We had a guy a couple sites down with a high end Class A that had a real nice new 50 amp surge protector plugged into his CG pedestal w/o the clasp. Made me wonder how many of those "walk away"?
Dave...yes it does work on 30 amp service. I called and asked before I ordered...plus the instructions say the same thing. With 50 amp service, both line lights are lit; with 30 amp, just one is lit. I did buy the locking clasp, it locks the surge guard to the power cord. However, I also chain and lock the surge guard to the power post, then cover the whole post with an old white tire cover I have. One camper asked me about the cover...told him it was to insure the electical connection stayed dry. Guess he believed me.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's funny, Bert! I like your idea of chaining the power cord. Seems like a lot of money hanging off of peoples' RV's electrical outlets. Don't think alot of people do enough to protect them.

Thanks for the idea, Bert.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I purchased one of the locking devices from CW for both my surge protectors, depending on which one I use. It locks the cable to the surge protector; then using the same padlock and bicycle cable, I lock the entire setup to my rig, either around a slide bar, or axle, depending on where I put the surge protector.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Great information on locking the Surge Guard & Power Cord to the rig. I just ordered the 50 Amp portable along with the locking clasp from rvpartsoutlet.com for about $315 including shipping. A few weeks back, I had a surge that took out a number of the little surge protectors scattered about Monty and the microwave (not surge protected because of the special 20 amp plug). It turns out that the CG 50 Amp outlet (bakelite type composite matl) had cracks running between the 2 120V lines, probably from the heat and Florida sun. A slight jar of the power cord would cause a sizzling sound and arching and occasional power outages inside the rig. This was exciting to say the least until I finally figured out the culprit. So... to make a long story short, the surge protectors/surge guard are worth every penny in my opinion.

I plan to still use the the mini surge protectors at various outlets inside the rig until I gain confidence in the Power Cord Surge Guard. Their failures saved all of the electronic equipment that they were attached to. I'm a believer!

Also does anyone know where you can purchase a 20 amp surge protector for the microwave? Mine has the funny plug with one prong turned sideways. I have 2 electrical parts places searching, but nothing found yet. The Apollo microwave is pretty finnicky about wandering power surges, so I want to give it as much protection as possible.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Jim,
I believe that if you have a surge protector at the input of your rig (between the CG power pedestal and your rig) you wouldn't need a separate surge protector for your microwave. We don't use anything but the one surge protector and it serves us well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 50amp surg protector came into play again on this trip home .This time in Lake Lanier Island C.G. It again would nor allow power into the camper..same Error code as before open ground.. ran it to the pedestal next door and all was ok.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #27
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Orv,
Thanks for your input. Maybe thats all that I will need. Good to hear from someone with the experience. My microwave says "thanks" as well!

Rich,
Sounds like the Surge Guard saved you from damage to the Monty! Thanks for your input.

Jim

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote