Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A battery learning experience

We recently had our first experience attempting to overnight at Wally World. We parked, dropped the front jacks for stability, ran out the slides and turned on some lights. The lights were dimmer than usual, but we thought that was because we were running on battery power only. Within five minutes the lights dimmed even more, so we decided to fire up the built in generator. We got one groan out of the generator and nothing more. Dead battery! By this time we were sitting in darkness. We started the truck figuring that we could charge up the battery. After a half hour we could only get a dim glow when we turned on an inside light. Not wanting to leave the truck run all night we called our son, two hours away, and asked if he would be willing to bring over his portable generator to jump the Big Sky so we could start our own generator. Having done that our generator ran for the rest of the night with no further incident.

The next day we had our electrical system checked out. The result was simple. We asked the battery to do more than it was designed to do and we drained it. The single battery that came with the Big Sky could provide enough power to start the generator and not much more. There was additional room in the battery compartment, so we chose to add two additional batteries. I'm sure that's overkill, but now with three batteries we have enough power to do what we need to do to set up and start the generator.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Something else you may check.

The Chevrolet trucks are delivered with the 12 v house power lead to the trailer connector disconnected. The new owner has to request the dealer to hook it up.

I don’t know anything about the Ford trucks but you should have been able to operate your lights from the Ford batteries.

Last but not least I carry a set of the longest heavy duty jumper cables that I can find in the trailer. I used them once to retract the slides when our battery went bad. The battery normally will support the trailer for one night but that time it didn’t. I replaced the battery with the same make and type and haven’t had any further problems.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Agree with Phil P. Your single battery should have handled your lighting needs. Check your trucks plug/fuse to see if you are getting a charge to your rig.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I think my main problem was from overuse of the battery before using the lights. I drove all day with the refrigerator running, then ran out the slides and jacks. Turning on the lights was the final straw to kill an already drained battery. The lights did come back when I plugged in the truck and the battery did start to charge, but it was drained so low that it would have taken hours to come back. Jumper cables are on my list of must have things to buy.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Jumper cables are on my list of must have things to buy.
Hind-sight is 20/20, but weren't you in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart? If it was a 24 hour one, seems like the simple solution would have been to purchase a set of jumper cables and use them to start the generator via a jump from the truck? The multiple batteries are a necessity in my view. We have to run the fridge overnight at the mini-storage before departing and a single battery configuration has not worked for us at all.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Bingo, Obviously you have mistaken me for someone who can think on his feet.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
About like one trip we were making and I thought the battery was dead, stopped at a Walmart in the wee hours of the morning, bought a battery, and the brand-new battery wouldn't work either?? It helps when the battery disconnect is not turned on!!! Returned battery, replaced the existing one, turned battery disconnect off, and went upon my merry, embarassed way!!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Bingo, you're not the only one of us who has an embarrassing battery disconnect story. We currently have two deep cycle batteries and there plenty good for an overnight stay at Wally World. What we do for a backup is that I carry one of the jump start batteries in the truck. That way I can jump the truck if need be or can jump the Monty and close the slides. Haven't had to jump the truck yet, but have had to jump the Monty due to operator error.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:

There was additional room in the battery compartment, so we chose to add two additional batteries.
Were you able to vent all three batteries? Sorry...first thought that popped into my head
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
With a good set of jumper cables should have been able to jumper from the TV battery to get the genny started.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you ran the fridge all day while driving, the battery should have stayed charged since the truck would be recharging the battery via the properly wired hitch wiring. Your Ford does not have the Chevy/GMC fuse issue and the truck should have been recharging the single battery.

While I'm surprised your Big Sky came with only one battery this all still should have worked for what you did. Operating the slides and landing legs should NOT have drained your battery enough not be able to start the generator. I guess next time if you are mostly level, then start the generator first, THEN operate the the slides and legs. Or keep the rig connected to the TV and the Ford running to provide some extra juice.

I'm guessing you should still check the TV connector to ensure you are getting 12v out of it and the battery is getting recharged while connected. It's pin 4 in the 7 pin wiring (pin 4 on the truck is opposite pin 4 on the trailer end). If you need help with this please ask.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
-snip-

The next day we had our electrical system checked out. The result was simple. We asked the battery to do more than it was designed to do and we drained it. The single battery that came with the Big Sky could provide enough power to start the generator and not much more. There was additional room in the battery compartment, so we chose to add two additional batteries. I'm sure that's overkill, but now with three batteries we have enough power to do what we need to do to set up and start the generator.
Don and Bonnie,
I agree your battery should have survived the usage you described. The refrigerator only uses the 12vdc for the circuit board control and the propane for providing the heat exchange function of these refrigerators.

You mentioned putting more in. I would be suspicious of the original battery being bad and recommend having it checked with a load test. If it is bad it will take the new batteries down with it and drain them a lot faster than expected.

If you have three batteries I would consider running the rv on two batteries and isolating the third one for just starting the generator. You can put a recarging diode system used by fisherman to charge their trolling batteries. It will keep the generator battery charged yet prevent if from providing power to the charging system/other batteries and is always ready to start the generator. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
There is a 12 volt power source on your 7 pin. In standard configuration, it is only hot with the key on, but the fuse and relay that are necessary to energize the circuit must be in place for it to work.

The trucks are delivered without them installed. If you bought the truck new, there should have been a plastic bag in the driver door pocket containing a fuse and a relay. They have to be installed in the fuse and relay box to power the 7 pin plug. Look at the diagram under box cover for correlating fuse and relay positions. If the spots are empty, you will have to install them.

If you do not have the necessary fuse and/or relay, check with your local Ford dealership for what is needed, but you can most likely pick them up at a auto parts store for a lot cheaper.

If you want constant power (with the key off) you can remove the relay and put a short jumper in its place, you still must have the fuse in place.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Thanks all for the input. I'm not quite sure what to say about the charging circuit. I took the truck and trailer to a mechanic that I've dealt with for several years. He works on both vehicles and RV's and trailers. I've never had cause to dispute his work. He checked the truck circuit first and pronounced it ok. By the time I got to him, the generator had been running for several hours and the battery was fully charged. He unhooked the battery and put his meters on it and said that he saw no unusual drain. I guess he could have missed something, so I'm going to have everything rechecked. I have an appointment next week to have a one year checkup on the Big Sky at the dealer I bought it from.

There was sufficient room in the battery well of the trailer for all three to fit without modification. All three are in proper battery boxes and all three are properly vented. Flymutt thanks for the concern. John, I like your idea. I'm going to work to get that done.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don,
If you really want to know what is happening with your batteries I suggest you look at the Bogart Trimetric 2525. Once your battery is fully charged and it is programmed it will tell you your battery usage and charge/functioning status. I have one now since I do boondocking. If you go with more than one battery I feel you would like to know its true status similar to how full are your holding tanks.

Safe travel.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
John, Where do you mount the readout? We haven't boondocked much in the year that we've been full timing, but I can see that changing in the near future as we hopefully work our way through the west next year.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Don,
There are two version of Bogart displays for the 2025. RV model is an outlet box that mounts on the wall with about a 1 inch box and the meter mounts on the lip. The non rv model is flush mount. I did not know this at the time or would have gone with the flush mount. So first you have to determine where you want to mount it.
Mine is on the wall just before going up stairs into the bedroom. I like the flush mount look better if you can install it that way. It does have a non LED light mode where no information is displayed. I bring this up if you mount it where it could be viewed from the bed room. In the off mode it will not be flashing disturbing anyone trying to sleep. I do want mine in a place where it can be easily viewed multiple times.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

About like one trip we were making and I thought the battery was dead, stopped at a Walmart in the wee hours of the morning, bought a battery, and the brand-new battery wouldn't work either?? It helps when the battery disconnect is not turned on!!! Returned battery, replaced the existing one, turned battery disconnect off, and went upon my merry, embarassed way!!!
Bingo
I think forgetting to flip the battery disconnect switch is part of the price we pay in our eternal quest for RV enlightenment
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

What makes me think your truck isn’t supporting the trailer is the fact that you started the truck and couldn’t get the lights to work. When our battery failed the truck would light the lights and keep the refrigerator working on gas but didn’t provide enough power to run the hydraulic pump to close the slides.

When I started the truck the lights came on almost immediately.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote