Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Finally did it.

I have been thinking about it since we got this Big Sky with the level floor (no more killer step inside the door). On the 2003, we had the three metal steps then one step up into the rig and one more on the inside. Well, the flat floor has the three metal steps, but the rise is 10"+ rather than a comfortable 7" rise.

So out with the tools to build a 42" X 42" platform with 7" rise steps. The porch is 35" tall, so that leaves a small step up from the porch into the rig. It weighs a metaphorical ton, but will only be used at the home base when we are parked for awhile. It is assembled with deck screws, so it could be disassembled and moved should we find the need to change our home base.

These pictures of the Stairs and Porch are not with the porch in position because I need to finish sanding it and painting it. I am painting the treads with a not-skid paint and the remainder in the same color exterior latex.

For me, cutting the stringers right is a bit of a chore. So I went on line. Finding a program that would do all the calculations, I purchased it for $13. It worked! As you can see, my stringers came out even and the treads are level. All I had to do was put in the measurements as asked and the program calculated the layout. Now I can do it like a pro. Got to love a well designed program.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Very nice. I do suggest a rail on the edge that touches the slide. At least from the side farthest from the door to the edge of the slide. My reasoning: the door opens and blocks your path down the steps until it is closed or opened all the way. If someone backs up to get away from the door they could step off that opening.
Again Very professional looking.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Nice job!

Can you fold it up and take it with you?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Good thinking Stiles and nice job. I never realized these Montanas are so high.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Good looking work Stiles. I envision doing that when we finally settle down in the Monty. I lived in a mobile home many years ago and built a 4' by 8' deck similar to yours. Not sure I could do as good a job as you did. Again, nice work!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Very nice job Stiles, you have past the test you ARE a professional, thanks for the tip.

Phil: At our seasonal park (May-Sept.end) the park allowed us to build a deck on to our rig last year. We built an 8' x 16' that just fits nicely under the awning at 28" off the ground. BEST idea and BEST money we ever spent. We now practically live out there during good weather and just pull away and leave it there during the off season. It's an additional 128 square feet of the great rving experience.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote