Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sealand 210 toilet fill without flush

At the Rally Dave (EXNAVYDIVER) and I were parked side by side. Dave showed me how to clean the black tank in addition to the black flush. He fills his bowl up to the bottom of the lip and then lets all the water flush down into the tank. He had used his back flush and the water was clear until that large amount of water hit. It broke more stuff loose.

While discussing this another member said, "I do not know how to fill the bowl." I didn't either until I "stubbed" or stumbled on it.

You put your toe under the flush lever instead of on it and lift up. Lifting up on the lever activates the water valve without opening the flush ball. It is best to do it with shoes on.

Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
John, the older toilets don't have that fancy dancy lift thingy going on, we have to hold the pedal down part way while the toilet fills.

Our toilet, when bowl is full, holds about 1/2 gallon, for whatever that tidbit of information is.

BTW, we have been doing Dave's trick for years, we call it the "power flush"
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Why just a couple of months ago at the lake, our dear friends who just bought a 3485 were complaining that they had to fill the john with a bucket to flush it, and that they liked the two levers on the old Montana better.

She left the conversation a Happy Camper after a little demo. The only reason I knew to lift up is I replaced the john in our old 2003 with a new SeaLand from Camping World that actually had directions in the box.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Whoa!!! What a deal that is. Learn something new every day.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks gang! Next time I have the water hooked up to the Monty and the blacktank is full and flushing I'm remember this thread and give it a try! Who says "you can't teach old dogs new tricks!!"
P.S. Carol-- you're right "some of us don't have those "fancy smancy" toilets!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
What am I missing? Why not simply hold the pedal down and let the black tank fill? Is there a reason to fill the bowl then flush, and continue to repeat the process until the black tank is full? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I was one of those that just learned this Flushing Trick. Lorraine knew about it all along but for whatever reason never shared this info with me. She also related that our 2004 2955, with a different toilet, had the same feature.
I believe that during normal usage the $*&% begins to stack up in the tank below the toilet. More so for the rigs that sit for longer periods of time in one location. I think Steve and Vicki can attest to this accumulation as it did happen to them sometime ago. When filling the bowl and dumping a greater amount of water into this area the force very effectively breaks up this accumulation. This is just my theory and as I just learned about this "full bowl" trick and have not had the need to dump, I have not had the opportunity to carry it out.

Andy, I don't think they are saying "fill the black tank" using this method. If my above theory is correct than the less water in the tank the better. Even a tank half full would just cushion the force of the incoming water.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
They way Dave and John explained it to me and it worked great was to dump and flush the black tank as usual. Then, when the water starts running clear, keep the valve open and, with the water running through the flush port, fill and dump the comode bowl. The flush is immediately visible. Do this a few times until the water runs clear even after the flush.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
I thin I understand.

Thanks
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Exactly Jim, after we had the black tank replaced last March the tech at CW showed me how the power flush worked with a tank they had cut the top off of. The water from the flushing system makes a "V" through the tank gunk while it is running. When the water runs clear in the hose elbow (clear) there is still a fair amount of gunk left where the flush spray doesn't reach the areas to the right and left of the base of the "V". When you fill the toilet and drop it in all at once the big splash breaks up most of the gunk. Subsequent flushes finish the job, in our case about three additional flushes do the job. On our SOB we didn't have a flush system for the black tank so we used a "Johnny Chock" a round tube about 2 inches in diameter with a lip on the top. You would step on the pedal and drop it into the hole and it kept the hole open and let the water running. The worst that could happen with this system if you forgot what you were doing is a flooded trailer and not an exploded black tank (don't ask how I know this). "I was told" and that's my story and I am sticking to it... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Okay, how to delicately share another tip.....Hmmmm, prior to making a solid deposit in the commode, I add water to the bowl using this fill feature to wet the sides of the bowl. Immediately after the deposit and before completing the paper work I flush the solid from the bowl and then complete the task. This method greatly reduces the "marks" left on the side of the bowl and minimizes the odors released in the room. This helps keep things "presentable". works for me - if it helps you out great but feel free to ignore it also. The Potty Police will not pull you over for non-compliance.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
What I also do to shake things up is ocassionally take a 5 gal pail with about 3 to 4 gallons of water to the commode and while the rince is on dump the pail of water in,this seems to brake things up also.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote