Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Stupid Norcold Fridge Is Toast

Sitting here in Yuma Az and our fridge went out, had a tech come out and we seen yellow puddle under the back coil...... Not Kool 1 year 8 months old and bit the bullet.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 2,802
M.O.C. #12947
Don't give up hope, the cooling unit can be replaced for much less than the entire fridge. Our first cooling unit replacement was covered by our extended warranty, less a copay and a couple other minor charges. If you have an extended warranty, you should be good. Our second replacement, maybe six months after the first replacement, the unit was covered by Norcold, but they don't pay for labor for the replacement. When the second cooling unit was installed, I installed the ARP protection device, and we are still good with that cooling unit. Our first failure was a plugged system, probably caused form crystal buildup in the tubing. Our second failure was from a leak. I hope they told you to NOT turn the fridge on for any reason, because the ammonia in the system is extremely flammable. Both of these failures happened in 2015.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Montana Master
 
AZ Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oro Valley
Posts: 1,828
M.O.C. #20477
A $100 dorm fridge can keep you going till you get it fixed.
__________________
Zack and Donna plus Millie
2018 Montana 3160RL
2012 F-250
"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Full Timer In Naples, Florida
Posts: 896
M.O.C. #15731
Original went bad after 1 year, replaced with extended warranty with a articold cooling unit. works fine over 4 years now 24/7. Full timers here.
__________________
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 921
M.O.C. #14547
This one of the Amish cooling unit sellers:https://rvcoolingunit.com/1200LR-Nor...sh-P13259.aspx


They are about 1000- to 1200 bucks vs 3-4000+ for a new one (that too will die )
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
A $100 dorm fridge can keep you going till you get it fixed.
I brought one with us and Iím glad I did.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Don't give up hope, the cooling unit can be replaced for much less than the entire fridge. Our first cooling unit replacement was covered by our extended warranty, less a copay and a couple other minor charges. If you have an extended warranty, you should be good. Our second replacement, maybe six months after the first replacement, the unit was covered by Norcold, but they don't pay for labor for the replacement. When the second cooling unit was installed, I installed the ARP protection device, and we are still good with that cooling unit. Our first failure was a plugged system, probably caused form crystal buildup in the tubing. Our second failure was from a leak. I hope they told you to NOT turn the fridge on for any reason, because the ammonia in the system is extremely flammable. Both of these failures happened in 2015.
Thanks, I did have the good Sam extended warranty, the tech said to go ahead and call Norcold and find out weíre an athorized Dealer in the area we will be staying in Ca.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,755
M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
This one of the Amish cooling unit sellers:https://rvcoolingunit.com/1200LR-Nor...sh-P13259.aspx


They are about 1000- to 1200 bucks vs 3-4000+ for a new one (that too will die )
Our cooling units failed in both our 06 3400 and this 13 3402. We are long timers and the units are never off except for defrosting/cleaning. We replaced them with the above mentioned Amish units and never another problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 4,004
M.O.C. #4831
You said you have a 1 & 1/2 year old RV. As I understand it, Norcold warranties the refer for 3 years. It would seem they would be a good place to start.

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/.../Gas-Absorption-Refrigerator-3yr.pdf
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
You said you have a 1 & 1/2 year old RV. As I understand it, Norcold warranties the refer for 3 years. It would seem they would be a good place to start


https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/.../Gas-Absorption-Refrigerator-3yr.pdf
My Norcold warranty says 1yr

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...1&d=1544822158
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0769A48F-6E58-4B2B-B80A-F40FB5F0388E.jpg (289.6 KB, 14 views)
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Oldblue
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 13
M.O.C. #18879
Been there , done that over the course of 2 RV's. Finally when this one went out, I researched and decided to just put in a residential unit since we really don't boon dock any more and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it 5 years ago! We had the 4 door Norcold in our Montana and found a french door Samsung that fit perfectly in that spot. Good luck.
Oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 4,004
M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
My Norcold warranty says 1yr
Damn that sucks. It seems Thetford changed the warranty after 2009. Google shows 3 years but if you dig into the Thetford web site, the current warranty (well hidden) has been reduced to 1 year.
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
Last2Die
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Menifee
Posts: 539
M.O.C. #22986
guess im glad I got the extended warranty. the dang fridge in my 3920 I bet is expensive !!! its huge ! good luck. where in California ? Theres a CW near me, well 2 actually
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kville
Posts: 2,777
M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblue View Post
Been there , done that over the course of 2 RV's. Finally when this one went out, I researched and decided to just put in a residential unit since we really don't boon dock any more and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it 5 years ago! We had the 4 door Norcold in our Montana and found a french door Samsung that fit perfectly in that spot. Good luck.
Agree. Get rid of the "Never Cold" and put in a residential.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Damn that sucks. It seems Thetford changed the warranty after 2009. Google shows 3 years but if you dig into the Thetford web site, the current warranty (well hidden) has been reduced to 1 year.

I called Norcold just to make sure and itís 1yr, they said it was around that 2009 when they changed.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #16
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
guess im glad I got the extended warranty. the dang fridge in my 3920 I bet is expensive !!! its huge ! good luck. where in California ? Theres a CW near me, well 2 actually
Iím super glad I did, I was on the fence but I had this feeling I would have issues with the fridge.

We will be in San Dimas.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #17
Last2Die
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Menifee
Posts: 539
M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Iím super glad I did, I was on the fence but I had this feeling I would have issues with the fridge.

We will be in San Dimas.
You are north of me. Not sure whatís up there. But Iím sure you will find something. As soon as I looked for a replacement cost for the fridge I bought the extended warranty. It will cover my washer and dryer too. Just in case.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
darrylwt
Montana Fan
 
darrylwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 159
M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Sitting here in Yuma Az and our fridge went out, had a tech come out and we seen yellow puddle under the back coil...... Not Kool 1 year 8 months old and bit the bullet.
I have a 2019 new Montana and my refrigerator didn't work from the getgo and has been at the dealer for 3 weeks to be replaced what a piece of crap, new trailer and can't even use it. I was going to get a Residential Refer but everyone told me not to do it now I wish I would have.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 19,755
M.O.C. #2839
Note..It is nearly always if not always, the cooling unit that fails and once you replace it with a quality Amish unit you will most likely not have another issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #20
DadsHemi
Montana Fan
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 319
M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylwt View Post
I have a 2019 new Montana and my refrigerator didn't work from the getgo and has been at the dealer for 3 weeks to be replaced what a piece of crap, new trailer and can't even use it. I was going to get a Residential Refer but everyone told me not to do it now I wish I would have.
Sense I purchased extended warranty Iíll just were it out.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin
4x4 4:10 Gears Lariame
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×