Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #41
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Patty and Al!

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave, I had the same problem of having to wait when I was scheduled for back surgery. Had to wait 24 days. At that time I couldn't even walk using a walker. Pain in my legs kept me from sleeping, sitting, standing, walking, you name it. Most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. But the surgery was successful as will be yours. The rehab will be a breeze, once you get started.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My pain isn't that bad yet, Orv, although it is quite painful every time I move. I've gone through several rehabs with my several shoulder surgeries. I'm pretty good at staying with it.

I will keep the pressure on the office. I will swing in and visit that office every chance I get. I will get to know the nurses and staff. I will do everything I can to accelerate the process.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ouch, Dave, I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm sure it will be painful but if going through that pain results in eventually the pain is gone, then that's a good thing. I wish you well and will keep you in our prayers. I'm sure you'll be conscientous about the rehab but don't rush it. Be sure to do it right so you are as healthy as possible when it's all done. Please let us know as this progresses.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #45
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. People that I have talked to who had this done said it was the best thing and they are totally pain free now.

Wonder if that appointment nurse likes flowers...

See... this is where I get in trouble. A Court psychologist once labeled me as "manipulative" during a bloody custody battle about 16 yrs ago (I did win custody of my three children). I was stunned.

I just thought I was exceptionally good at "people skills". Is that a bad thing?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #46
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, calling (nicely) and stopping in to visit the gals in the office has been fruitful. I have been rescheduled for a July 1 consult instead of July 22. This is great news. I will update on a surgery date ASAP...
Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #47
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
This is good news. Don't forget to take the flowers for your July 1st consult!!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Update:

I was able to get in on a cancellation and see the shoulder surgeon for a consult on 7/1. He set me up for an EMG (electrodes-nerves) for the next day to check the numbness in my lower arm. This is like a taser jolt, only they drag it out over 45 min while poking you with needles. Fun.

Their preliminary thought was that it was my elbow, not my shoulder, that was causing this. I am not sure on this.

On 7/10, I went in for a CAT Scan. First they had to do a blood draw, then they took me into an operating room and a Dr and a nurse laid me on the operating table and they prepped my shoulder for a dye injection - just like they would have prepped for a surgical procedure - into the joint under an x-ray machine. The only guy missing was the anesthesiologist.

They also attempted to pull any fluid out of the joint to see if there was an infection. They couldn't pull any fluid, which was a good sign.

Then they took me into the CAT scan room and ran the machine over me a few times.

Fun day. Shoulder ached pretty good yesterday, but seems a lot better today.

I am now waiting for the Doc to review the results and then call me in for an appointment. His next regular opening was Aug 21st. This, of course, won't work for either of us - too far away - so he will rearrange his schedule to review the results with me within a few days - probably next week or the following week at the latest.

His main concern and focus right now is the post op complications that I suffered from some of my earlier 4 (3 rt/1 lf) rotator cuff surgeries. I had some sort of infection (sterile) develop. For a rotator cuff surgery that is not good, but for a joint replacement surgery it is devastating, as they may have to re-do the joint replacement.

He even talked about maybe going in arthro and taking a small tissue sample and a small sample of the sutures from the previous operation to check for a certain type of bacteria that the other doctors missed.

He is aware of my timeline and he mentioned that if time becomes an issue, he has a friend in Tampa who is one of the best in the world - along with this guy - who could possibly do the replacement down there after we return to FL in Oct. Don't really want to do this as I really don't want to drive all the way to FL in pain...

I pulled into Walmart in Gaylord last Wed and I saw a Montana sitting in the parking lot. The guy was just getting in. So I naturally drove over and found out it was Roger (Bear Hunter). He had just had a shoulder replacement recently and he said it was much easier than the rotator cuff surgeries. Smaller incision and much easier post op. He said he was only unable to drive for two weeks. His wife said that the Dr told him 4 weeks, though. He was very happy with the results.

Everyone I have talked to has been very pleased with their shoulder replacement. This is good. They all say the pain goes away within a few days. I have lived with this pain (last 6 mos have been the worst) since I separated it back in a college FB game. I am now 56.

So that's were I stand right now. Anxious to get this done.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #49
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
We're keeping you in our prayers. Having been there, done that, I know what you're going through and what the recuperation period is going to be like. Don't overdo it, but DO it! With your previous experiences, I'm sure you're readily aware of the benefits of a little pain during rehab.

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv. I realize that we don't want to re-do this. We will follow the Dr's orders.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #51
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Good luck dave as you need it and after this many you deserve it , i will be thinking of you all the way as my left is still mush as doc says so he said don't let it freeze or its a replacement .. the left was easy compared to my rt ,, that was hell on wheels as they say sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, John. No mush for me.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great to hear that you are making progress.I know how much you want that problem to go away. Besides I can make a list of all the things that you can help lazy ole me with while in Florida this winter.. No more "I can't raise my arms that high. The mouse will also be happy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #54
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great, Rich! I have a list of things that you can help me with when we get down there, too. That is, if Aram and cust service can't get to them at the Rally...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #55
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dave,

I hope they can get this set up for you soon. We will keep you in our prayers.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Lamar! Still waiting to hear. I will probably give them until Wed and then either call or stop in.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #57
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Dave, so sorry to hear of your future surgery. I understand the anxiouity (sp) as I also had to wait several months to get surgery on my left shoulder, a muscle that was torn completely in two. Hope to see you next week, maybe horseshoes or bowling? Shotput maybe.
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #58
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcar827

Hope to see you next week, maybe horseshoes or bowling? Shotput maybe.
Jim
Maybe a little softball or basketball, too? Now all we have to do, Jim, is find someone who we can watch do that stuff... Maybe the wives?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #59
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hi Dave I hope to see you at millcreek in mackwauna in late aug or so but then at goshen for sure we will have the new 3465sa then so are looking foward to that ,,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #60
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
John, I am waiting to see about the surgery date. Would love to go to Mill Creek this year, but everything is on hold until I get that date from the Doc.