Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Walmart

We are having a horrible time getting our prescriptions refilled at Walmarts.When we get back home we are going to see if we can use another source of refills.Can't use mail order because we're not in one place long enough.We're limited to were we can go because of insurance coverage.

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, you didn't say what kind of problems you are having with them.

You can have your prescription transferred to a different pharmacy if you choose. For example, when in one town without a Walmart we took the prescription bottle to a Walgreen's. They just contacted Walmart in the other city and did the transfer. And vice-versa. We had the Rx within an hour or so.

We've been using Walmarts (and other pharmacies) to fill our prescriptions on the road for five years. If your prescription includes a controlled substance you'll have to call your doctor and have them fax or call a prescription to the pharmacy of your choice. That's because some states limit the transfer of prescriptions for those substances. That's a state law thing, not a pharmacy problem. In this situation, just call the doctor and have them call in a new prescription.

If your prescription has run out of authorized renewals, sometimes the pharmacy will contact the doctor's office for a renewal. If not, just call the doctor and have them send the pharmacy a new prescription. We've done this numerous times.

If the problem is with the pharmacy screwing up the prescription, then I guess you address that with that particular pharmacy.

If you have a different problem and would like to post it here we will see if we can help. It may not be something we can help with but maybe someone here can help.

Good luck. Being able to get your prescriptions filled is important when traveling. In our case we also have to make sure the pharmacy is signed up with our insurance carrier.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We have used mail order for four years now. We have the drugs shipped to our mail service and then have the service send them General Delivery to a place we will be.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have also transferred Wal-Mart prescriptions to Walgreens and vice-versa. We've never had a problem with Wal-Mart or Walgreens. Normally, we use mail order through Express Scripts but find that Wal-Mart and/or Walgreens are much handier and the cost isn't that much different.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Gary, you didn't say what kind of problems you are having with them.

You can have your prescription transferred to a different pharmacy if you choose. For example, when in one town without a Walmart we took the prescription bottle to a Walgreen's. They just contacted Walmart in the other city and did the transfer. And vice-versa. We had the Rx within an hour or so.

--snip--
We did this in Fl this winter. However to make it easy keep the latest prescription bottle so the next pharmacy know who to contact and has the current prescription number.
The Fl bottle was too hard to open so Ann put the meds in the old bottle and through away the latest bottle. We got it corrected thanks to our local pharmacy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I have 3 prescriptions every month that I get refilled at Walmart in OR. This past trip I had them refilled in San Antonio TX and Bullhead City AZ. The only problem was in AZ needed the DR. to authorize a new prescription, one of the 3 ran out.
That took an extra day, but we planned on that. That was the only problem we had. All locations were Walmart. And yes I brought in the old bottles.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
We talked to the pharmacy (Wal-mart) here in Del Rio today. He said all they need is the Prescription number and the store number where the original was filled. Both numbers are on the label. They will also take written scrip from out of state here in Texas. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm fortunate in that my prescriptions are for 90 days. I also can get a "maintenance," refill. I tell them how long I will be gone for and they give me the meds for that period of time. If you are full timing, then that is as described above.

I did this with Maxor Pharmacies, but now it is VA and VA prescriptions, so I have been told, cannot be filled by other pharmacies.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Generally were're told there is no more refills because they don't call the walmart were the original prescription is.The number on the last bottle will say no more refills.We have gotten to the point that when we go to a new walmart we give them the phone number to call for verification Orlando Fl.we dropped of 5 refills at 11.00 a.m.and came back at 7.00 p.m. and was told all of them weren't ready because she didn't have time to call it in,these refills are timed to the day.We were camping at Disney world (wilderness)so our time was limited and we didn't plan on two trips to walmart.We are in Kentucky now went to walmart for refills and one hand written prescription and the one prescription was for pain and because it was a narcotic we were informed because we don't live in Kentucky and our Dr.isn't from Kentucky it's a state law they can't fill it.When we got back to the campground we called c.v.s.and said bring it in there is no such law and they filled it and were very pleasant was nice being treated nicely and cautious(not lied to)at c.v.s.
We even emailed walmart about two months ago about how unsatisfied we were with walmarts pharmacy and got no response from them.
GOODBY WALMART
Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds like you've had some issues with Walmart. I have no answers for you on that.

If you take the bottle to them and it says there is at least one remaining refill, then generally they have it for us within an hour. If the bottle says no more refills, then some of them will call the doctor for you but most want you to do that. No big deal. We call and talk to a nurse and give her the information and the phone number to fax the Rx. She talks to the doctor and they take care of it.

You mentioned having this timed to the day. Check with your insurance company as to how long you have to wait to do a refill. Ours is 2/3 of the prescription period. For example, if our Rx is for a 30 day supply, we can go in for the refill when 20 or 21 days have elapsed since the prior fill of the Rx. For a 90 day prescription, we have to wait 60 days. This allows us to get refills before we hit the road or wait until we reach the next destination. I would be surprised if your insurance doesn't have a similar policy. You might call them and ask.

As John said, it's very important to give them the last bottle for that prescription if you are doing a refill and not a new prescription. That gives them the prescription number, the filling pharmacy, the phone number, all needed to transfer the prescription.

Good luck. I hope you can get this straightened out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
My wife uses WalMart all the time but I hate them, they are rude, slow and for the most part don't seem to care about their jobs or the customers. I have most of my meds through Walgreens. If there isn't a Walgreens in the area I will go to CVS and they are always very helpful and get the scripts transfered rapidly and the same day. I will only go to Wally world as a last resort.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Hey exnavydiver you must of went to the same walmarts I went to,while waiting for my refills saw other people having problems and walmarts attitude is they don't seem to care and they are rude.For the people not having problems with walmart good,out of two years of snowbirding I only had one good refill experience and that was Crawfordsville Fl.I will be home soon (Western NY)and will be changing all of my prescription over to other Pharmacy's
Do you still dive?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The staff of chain drug stores are trained to have you wait and roam the drugstore for 30 min. after you hand them your scipt.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gary, that is the best thing to do. You have lost confidence in WalMart, so why stick with a source of agitation. That's what I would do. For those of us who have had good experiences, we go back to a place where we get satisfactory service, and we should. If I come to a point where that changes, bye-bye WalMart.

Today, we went to a Sam's Club Pharmacy where we had never been with a new prescription. Dianna said, "We haven't been here before. Do I need to fill out paperwork?" Pharmacist said, "Ok, have you ever been to a WalMart?" Answer, "Yes." "Then you are in the computer. She pulled up our name, check identifying information and 15 minutes later, she had a filled prescription. That was the best service we have ever had at a Walton owned company. Usually the wait is 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the density of the population in that area.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We used to use Walmart, but quit after we went to CVS and had the same prescription that cost me $20.00; filled for $1.25. We travel between Illinois and Florida and have never had a problem getting prescriptions filled. We transfer the prescriptions between the pharmacies and have had no problems.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We use RXSolutions for our drug insurance/medicare services. Three month supply by mail and we can change where it is sent depending on where we are located. Simple and no worry about dealing with a hard building pharmacy.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #17
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We primarily use our prescription drug service, but they too have their restrictions on shipping. We have them mailed to a relative who in turn mails it to us when we reach a location that we plan to stay a week. As for Walmart I did not have a good experience either. We have 2 of our medications filled outside of our drug plan because it is cheaper and less hassle to do so. I get a script from our PCP for 400 tablets for (generic) and went to WM they refused to give us the entire order so I went to Cosco. No problem they filled them. We also get multiple scripts from our PCP just in case something happens to our mail order. We get 30 day scripts and 90 day scripts and have only had to use once when the mail order was lost in delivery to our home only to show up 2 months later!

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
I too, said goodby to WalMart pharmacies. I now use Walgreens and have control at my computer! I can order the refills online and have them filled at a pharmacy anywhere near where we are. I don't use mail order except when I expect to be at the stick house.

It's worth the two week wait to get your password for the online services.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have been using Walmart, almost exclusively, for my meds. I have had all of my military meds xfered to Wally. DW gets hers thru VA at our mail service then they ship to us. I have found Wally's to be hit and miss with competent employees. They will tell me one thing when I drop off and when I pick up it is a different story. I do like the transferrability of the scripts, but that is about all. CVS is not as wide spread and I'm not sure Walgreens is either. Seems like you can always find a Walmart though. I chalk it up to "Life on the Road". Don't take controlled meds anymore so that is not a problem. I did have a problem with them when I was taking a prescription sleep med.

Lisa, are Walgreens as wide spread as Walmart?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've used Wal-Mart almost exclusively over the past several years, even before we full timed. Presently, we are using Walgreens because it's directly in our path of travel going to and from grocery stores, doctors and hospital. In fact we just had a prescription for Reglan transferred from Wal-Mart in Deming, NM to the Walgreens here in Rancho Mirage, CA. There was no problem. I don't understand why there are some that have so many problems with Wal-Mart pharmacies. But as Stiles said, if you don't like them, move on (my paraphrase).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote