Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Flu Shots

It is time to start thinking about flu shots. What do those on the road with medicare do about getting one? We have always been in Bastrop before, but this time we are travelling.

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
You could try a walk in clinic. We're not traveling, but I hate to pay on office visit to get a flu shot, so I always go to the clinics. This year it was in a Meijers store. Also check with Drug stores in the area you're in, Walgreens usually does flu shot clinics. Good luck, Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Myrna,

We're not traveling, but ditto the above. Just got our flu shot today - Senior Center in town was having clinic there. The local grocery is having one Thursday, and Bi-Mart (variety) is having a clinic Wednesday. Hopefully you'll come across one of these type clinics along your way. Safe travels.

Karen
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used Costco's the last couple of years.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
When you use someplace like Costco or a pharmacy, do you pay up front and submit to medicare? or do they do the submitting?
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
All we have ever done is show our card and sign a permission slip. They take care of the billing.

Helen
Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
One of the benefits of being a Canadian...Flu shots and Pneumonia shots are free.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Just a thought: We used to get a flu shot every year loyally. We never thought a thing about not getting it. However, we did notice that each year we got the flu! My niece is a medical doctor who does not recommend the flu shots because of some of the ramifications that can arise from the ingredients in the serum. Instead, she recommends proper eating with additional food supplements and vitamins to keep your immune system up. Accordingly, for the last three years we have not gotten a flu shot and we have not gotten the flu! Made a believer out of me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Orv, I don't want to contradict your niece's good advice, but it can be very dangerous for some people who have health issues to skip the flu shot. I'm glad your plan worked out well for you folks. The flu symptoms that you experience after the shot show that your body is responding to the flu serum and building up your immunities. In the past, I have found that if I take a couple of anti-inflammatory pills such as Tylenol or Advil or your choice at the time of the injection, it works to cut down on the reaction. Won't work for everyone that way but it works for me. IMHO
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
With the supplements I take, my immune system is at it's best.
Haven't been sick for a year now.
Have never had a flu shot and never will.
Just my thinking on the subject.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Haven't had a flu shot, NOR the flu since 1986. Take your vitamins, supplements and eat a well balanced diet and stay healthy. Oh yeah, stay away from people with known flu symptoms and wash your hands alot. My wife and I carry a portable disinfectant hand wash we use before and after eating and any other time we think we need it. As always, to each his own....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I got to go along with Judy on this one. I have gotten a free flu shoot from the VA every year for the past 12 years with no side effects and no flu in 12 years.
You can take your chances, if you wish, by not getting a flu shot but as a senior citizen I flat out would not take that chance. As we get older our immune systems are no longer as effective as they once were.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup... Flu shots for us. I don't want to know the down side of not taking them as long as they have workedfor us for the past three years....

Helen
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
We clean the shopping cart handles before we use them. These things are the worse. People that never wash their hands use them. You ever see how many kids sit in them and drool all over the push bar that you hang onto. You are right wash hands and be careful of folks that are sick or sneezing and take your supplements.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

One of the benefits of being a Canadian...Flu shots and Pneumonia shots are free.
We live in Anchorage, Alaska and our flu shots are free too, being on Medicare and AARP United Healthcare. I just called the Dr. and walked in and got my shot today.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
DW got a free flu shot today at Walmart, I get mine for free at the VA. The VA puts a little something extra in their flu shots for all wild veterans.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #17
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We got our flu shots Monday. Was in bed all day yesterday. Rarely does it make me sick. This year, I was sick. But it only lasted one day.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
A person can't get the flu from a flu vaccine (injection). It's made from dead viruses. But a person can get low-grade body aches, a low-grade fever, redness, swelling and soreness at the injection site from a flu shot.

Of course, getting a flu shot won't keep you from getting the flu either. There are a couple thousand strains of flu out there and the flu shot only deals with the top three or four nastiest viruses that the CDC estimates might be coming around.

I've gotten a flu vaccine every year for over 20 years and only had a bit of a problem with the first one. I always get my vaccinations in my dominant arm (right arm) so I don't baby the arm and not use it like I would the left. Using the arm helps keep it from getting any side effects as does rubbing the injection site briskly for a few minutes after receiving the vaccine.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
dannykaren
Established Member

M.O.C. #7076
You could call a home health agency. At this time of year they should come to you or tell you where they'll be giving them. They will bill Medicare.
dannykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #20
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Just got our flu shots at Minute Clinic. They do bill insurance and give shots all day every day. Took all of five minutes.
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote