Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, Ford does not consider the low voltage to the brakes at idle to be a problem. They do have a bulletin to that effect. A dealer showed it to me. I think it's also on dieselmann's web page. I thought they were going to replace mine after I described the difficulty it will cause to pop the slider but (long story) I could not stick around to get it replaced where we were at the time and now that we're in a different location they decided the upgrade would be on me to the tune of over $300. Technically they're correct, there is not a safety issue involved. But they did change this after 3/23/05 so I pointed out they must have felt it's a problem. But no dice. So I'll live with it. It only affects my popping the slider and I've only had to do that 4 times in nearly ten years. You have the long bed so I personally don't think you'll have much luck convincing them it is a problem. They (customer satisfaction team) did say if the dealer will certify there is a problem then they will replace it under warranty. Maybe you have an in with the dealer. I don't.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase a short bed?

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think you are right Steve.Ford will says "it is working as designed" therefore no problem even though it is a possible safety issue and they corrected it later. I think The TBC works OK as as.I have had several different brands and I like the way this one works best.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gyro..for the safety bulletin check out www.cvsa.org
Old 07-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #25
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Don't see any search function, there. Does one have to sign up to see more?

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 01:56 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gyro go to www.cvsa.org home page look under cvsa resource center click on inspection bulletin
Old 07-25-2005, 04:54 AM   #27
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

That did it! I just printed the bulletin out. Thanks.

I just made an appointment at Town & Country for next Monday morning, to poke around the Monty's brake wiring.

Do you recommend any nice RV parks in the area? Preferably with Wi-Fi, if possible.

We've got the various directories, and Kim's good at finding nice spots, in case you can't think of any.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The only one that we know of in Clyde , Ohio is the leafy oaks campground just off state rt 20 as is Town and Country RV. 1-888-680-7060 or 419-639-2887. Haven't been there for awhile but is WAS nice..The are many Rv parks in that area as you are near Sandusky and cedar point. In the guide books that would be NW ohio area.

By the way Town and Country is where we will be buying our 3295 Montana.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #29
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Thanks for the tips on camping sites. As long as we're within an hour's ride, we'll be fine. I have an 11AM appointment.

Can you believe how hot it is, today? We were going to go try out a couple of the dog parks, around here, but thought our dogs might be better off inside with the A/C running. After the folks finish fishing at one of the ponds in this park, we may let the dogs take a dip. Too bad they can't go into the water where people can. I'd go with 'em!

When I called T&C, I let them know that a customer I know on an Internet forum told me that they're good people. When I get there, I'll let 'em know that I'll report my experience when it's all done. Might help make sure they go over everything.

Speaking of which, I now think I know why I got a call from the southern Ohio Ford dealer a day after I had my oil changed, making like they were doing a "Customer Satisfaction Survey." (I often get those mailed to me, weeks after a servicing.) Last evening I noticed a ding in my hood. Near the middle of the hood, a BUMP! It seems someone, (and that dealer was the only place where my hood's been up, other than when I checked fluids,) must have left something under the hood, and tried to close it. There's a black mark under the hood where something hard struck it. It's nowhere where anything could have flown up from the road, or off the engine.

I'll try to get it hammered out at a body shop. Should take a few minutes. A spot of touch-up paint will cover the small crack it left in the finish, I'm guessing.

But I'll be with the T&C guys, checking the guts of this trailer's wheels out, and asking questions as things arise.

Take Care,
Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are a bunch of nice campgrounds within a hour of Clyde,If you have the time look for one around Sandusky or port Clinton and do some Lake Erie touring.The folks I have talked to at T&C are Bill..don't remember his last name and Tim Lawrence. The address is 909 W. Person HWY which is state rt 20.. Let us know what they do or find with your brakes. I would have a talk with that Ford dealer about the hood damage.If you are coming across on the Ohio TPK you will pass within 1/2 mile of the house at mile marker 151.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #31
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I map-quested the T&C location, so we're good on that.

Thanks for helping me name drop, too! Never hurts.

I'll definitely be letting everyone know how this turns out. I have high hopes for a fix.

As far as that Ford dealer goes? Well, I'll drop them a line to mention that the damage was noted, and that the speedy follow-up phone call was strange. As long as I can get it smoothed out, I won't be picking on them too much. I just want them to know I noticed. Even if not the day after.

We might be on the Ohio Turnpike. Not sure yet. But if you get a chance, we'll be at the T&C shop at 11AM, Monday! It would be nice to get a face-to-face.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I'm going to look at the web site and see if they have a 3295 or 3670 on the lot..If so may run up.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #33
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Well I just had my day of reckoning, went to dealer with trailer to be checked out for the braking system? They said they found no problem except there was only 2 volts on the plug tester when check and needs 10 to 12 volts? Made sense to me so off two the Ford dealer for the third time. Worked with the mechanic while he went over the manual and test computer when we got to the voltage test, guess what it stated a reading of 1 to 2 volts was the correct reading. So we hooked up a meter and went for a ride and when system was green brake voltage was working fine, but as the fault came on the brake voltage was diconected. The next step in the book to have trailer checked out by dealer. Went back to dealer with information. At first when I called the service rep said they would check the wheels but if they didn't find a problem I would have to pay for the service. Well by the time I got there (1/2 hour trip} I was fuming. Itold them I wasn't going to pay them for checking out the problem and if they didn't want to check it out put it writing and I'll call Keystone and get it checked out somewhere else. By know it was the aftenoon shift and the service rep said there was no problem they will check it out. We went out and did some comparisons from my truck to my trailer and a new monty and the problem was quite clear and they kept the trailer to find the problem tomorrow, and assured me it will get fixed!
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:07 AM   #34
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bill,

Let's both knock on wood.

I'm hoping they find a problem in my Monty, too.

The more posts I read on this, the more it just feels like there's where the trouble is likely to be.

I'll be posting my experience, as well, after next Monday.

Good Luck!
Steve
Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 AM   #35
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
They called a little while ago and said they found a bad wire in the left rear tire, the clip was tight but the wire was rubing and bare! It must be from the magnet, because they are installing a new magnet and will show me the bad one when I pick it up. It will be great to have my brakes back!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:15 AM   #36
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bill-
Glad that they found your problem, same as mine except on rear tire on door side of the coach. You're gonna be suprised how much better the brakes will be.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I read last night that the low voltage situation on the early controllers is only when using the manual lever. Apparently using the brake pedal it sends a decent voltage, as it should. As someone else said, this controller is the best I've ever used. Unfortunately, with a shortbed when I want to pop the slider I always used the manual lever to hold the trailer still. Can't use the brake pedal when I want the truck to move forward while the trailer stays put. The newer controller solves this but I have the older one. I haven't yet convinced Ford this is a problem for me. I guess I could do as the slider manual says and block the wheels of the trailer but that's a hit and miss situation. This truck tends to just pull the Montana up and over the blocks.

Gyro, I missed your earlier question about why we got the shortbed. One reason is past experience with long wheelbase told me maneuverability in parking lots would be better with the shortbed, especially since this is a crew cab. Vicki also prefers driving something not tooooo long. Now that I've experienced the super new frontend the longbed crewcab maneuverability issue is probably far less an issue than it was. This is on the 4x4 only, though. The other reason was when we bought in October I found it difficult to find a 2005 equipped the way we want it and with the colors, etc., we wanted. Dealers were having a hard time keeping them in stock. When I found one and it was a shortbed I snapped it up.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #38
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Having had to maneuver a lot to get into even semi-large slots in parking lots, I hear ya! Not all stores have "pull-thrus."

We would have wanted an entirely white truck, (without the bronze trim,) if we had our absolute druthers with all the other items we wanted on it. The graphics would have been easier to place on it, with more selection of position.

Plus, I imagine your truck's just a few pounds lighter than ours, so you can pull more! That can't be bad.

Steve
Old 07-27-2005, 04:57 AM   #39
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
I missspoke it was the right rear wheel.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I'm glad they got it fixed for you. I've not noticed any brake problems but it's probably time for me to crawl under and examine the wiring again before we head out of here next month.

Steve, I hear ya but I sure like the bronze below the white. But I don't have the graphics or maybe I'd feel different. Your graphics look nice.