Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
How to extend a single slide-need help

Hello all,
It has been some looooong time since we have been on the site. I wish it was because of RV'ing but truthfully we have been doing home remodel. Anyway, we are nearly done so hopefully back in the 5ver soon with plenty of new stories forthcoming.
We have an 06 -2955. Sometimes we find it an inconvenience when stopped at a rest area [for a quick lunch] that we have to extend 1st the bedroom slide and then the living area slide. I checked the drive motor/fluid reservoir/distribution valve and there are absolutely no valve knobs to cut off one slide or the other [though I have seen this setup on other Montys]. So my question; is there any information out there that can provide technical instruction so I can modify my system? My goal is to have the option of extending only the slide I desire from inside the trailer with a switch or valve without reinventing the wheel! I am quite experienced with electrical and hydraulics and mechanical modifications, but I wanted to check with you all before making unnecessary modifications [when maybe someone else solved this situation].
Thanks so much for any help.
Jim and Kathy in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If your rig is like mine, you go into the from bay there is a box with knobs on it matching the number of slides you have. They should be labeled "Main", "Bedroom", and "opposing" or "kitchen". turn off the slides you don't want to move and leave open the one you want. When you are ready to move all the slides, then open the ones you closed.

Usually this box sits atop the hydraulic fluid reservoir. You can move one, two, or all three or four at the same time.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The valve block was an option. Our 2003 didn't have it, but we ordered it on our 2007.

To retrofit the valve block in now would be quite a chore, as you would need to run new hydraulic lines to each piston and connect to a new valve block. Without the valves, the hoses are just run in a loop, one piston to the next, and then home to the pump.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
You might try finding a valve to put in line on the hose going to the bedroom slide. Just a thought. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just a thought, but could you extend all the slides, then retract them and the LR slide will stay out?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Just a thought, but could you extend all the slides, then retract them and the LR slide will stay out?
I have the same unit. The answer to your question is yes, but I believe that wasn't his intent with his question. He wanted to eliminate extending the other slide at all. It has been correctly answered above, as these came without the control box referred to.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Short of seeing the whole diagram - I don't believe you can put a valve in-line. If the hoses are run in a loop (through one piston or ram and out to the next piston or ram), then any valve would stop the function of the pump and no slides would move.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Towards the end of the second page of his link will get you to a previous post of mine. If indeed you have no distribution manifold up front, you will have to separate the cylinders from one another.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=slide,control
Your end product will be somewhat different than mine, but as you stated, you were looking for ideas. I'm basically using 12 volt blocking valves to isolate each slide as needed. Even if you have to drop the pan to run hydraulic lines, with your indicated experience, you'll understand it's really not hard. One thing to note. The slide pump is bidirectional ... one direction to extend ... the other to retract ... a 3 position valve will not accomplish your needs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote