Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
California State Parks.

We are planning a summer trip to California, Oregon, and Washington. 2 questions--are California State Parks open?? and will a 38 foot Montana fit in a State Park??

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Tim here is a tag for information for you on california State Parke I hope it helps.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tim
To answer your questions, Yes, Not many. A lot of the parks are day use only, the camping ones are usually limited to 14 or fewer days and many have a 28' length. We took this in to consideration when we purchased our 2nd 5er as our 1st one fit but we decided there other parks to use. The better ones seem to be in the mountains and in the north. Also a lot of them do not have hookups or at least full hookups. I know there are a few good ones so maybe someone who has used one they like will pop in here. Enjoy your trip.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Tim, what areas in California are you thinking of visiting?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Our plans are to hit the National Parks--Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite--then Lake Tahoe and then the Redwoods along the coast. Our general plan is to start from Sedona, Az and head to California. We are very flexible at this time. We expect to leave Sedona around the 3rd week in July. No specific schedule. After California we are heading to Oregon and then Washington.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
If your going to hit the Oregon coast state parks in Oregon I would suggest you make your reservations as soon as you can (as in last December).
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We took hwy 101 north thru CA/OR and WA. Could not find a CA state park that we could fit into. Loved Oregon, but you have to make your reservations way ahead. We were told that they are so popular that many are made as soon as reservation opens. We stayed in many but on weekdays and only found a couple Oregon state parks that we could stay for the weekend. They are very popular.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Tim and Susan,

With the scooter on the backside of our 2980RL, we are 36+ feet. We have yet to find a state park in any state that we could not get a fit as long as the campsite is available. Some of our favorite parks are the ones that post shorter length limits. Provided there is a turn radius, we can usually get into any site posted over 22'.

As campground hosts, we know that the people who make those recommendations don't live in RV's....we ignore them and try our best to make good judgments to fit our needs. Yes, we have been skunked, but it is rare.

In Oregon, for the state parks near major roads (101), we recommend you make reservations, but try not to trap yourself into a schedule that makes flexibility impossible. There can be other options. Lots of times you will want to change the number of days you spend in any given place, especially parks on the coast. If you are near major metro areas, you need reservations, if not...don't waste your time. Our favorites are not near cities and we do not need or use reservations.

In Washington State, we only camp on National Forest or BLM land, MOC members homes, or our campground club parks.

Take your computer and do your research, you'll be surprised at how many different opportunities there are on the west coast....and don't forget, if you are in a place we have been in, we would be happy to help.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There will be a bunch of us at the Rally in Kerrville with lots of experience with State campgrounds in CA, OR and WA. Let's talk there!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Carl---That is exactly what I plan to do! I may even make it a scheduled event! Just kidding--but I have already talked to Imp and I will also find all the other CA, OR, and WA travelers that I can. See you at the RALLY!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
One word of advice..don't haul the rig into yosemite. There are several full hook up rv parks at either end of the park with about an hour drive into the valley. You could take it in there and park in day parking or Curry Village parking, but forget about getting any type of space to fit, let alone being able to make any turns in the campground. The trees have grown in to much to allow for much manuvering. I took my 30' living quarters horse trailer into the park last October and got lucky enough to get a spot in North Pines to park it one night, but everything else about the trip was a nightmare. Look up Yosemite Lakes RV park, I believe it is the closest coming out of Oakdale to the park entrance and your right in the trees.
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm glad this thread resurfaced.

Tim,
I'm out in front of you if you haven't left yet. I'm at Buckhorn RV in Kerrville, Fort Stockton tomorrow, then Las Cruces (Hacienda) for a few days and on westward. We don't have a planned route. We are gong to wing it, for good or bad. Hope I don't end up in a Wally-world parking lot, but if so, so be it.

Now, if you tell me that you are leaving now, I'll delay for a couple days so I can get your report. I know you would do a better job at reporting than I will.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote