Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Bed replacement

We have been in our 2007 3400RL for 4 months now. We have had to have several minor things repaired (kitchen faucet, bed frame, dinette window shade replaced (twice)). The bed appears to be starting to self-destruct. I remember reading earlier about some owners that replaced their bed. I know the Tempurpedic type won't fit. We are seriously considering the Sleep Number Bed. We have talked to several other RV'ers in other brands of trailers who have replaced their beds with the Sleep Number. Have any Montana owners done this? If so, did you buy the model that CW sells? We have been told by one RV'er that she used to work for the Sleep Number bed company and that the company makes several grades of the bed, with the CW model being on the low end. Another question: how did you hook the bed up to 110 AC? Is there a way to get AC power to the wall at the head of the bed? Thanks for any help and/or advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi drjjj

Go up to search up on the top of this page. Type in Mattress, and go to search by date, "in the last year" and you will find some past posting on this. Look under Ozz's name as he put a plug in around the bed I think.

Good luck, more will be along soon.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have horrible luck with the search feature so I will type in what we have done. We went to Sams Club and bought a Soma Tempra bed that is a dense foam mattress that will go over your regular bed. On top of that I put a Serta pillow top mattress cover that also gives extra cushion as well as material between you and the foam. I have back problems and have trouble sleeping on beds. I must say that this is as comfortable as our expensive pillow top bed that we have in our home.

Give the Search engine a try and see what else comes up. Our costs was around $150 to upgrade the bed. When it comes to my sleep I will spend what ever it takes, so far this has worked well for us.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the Select Comfort 5000. It is a great mattress and is the middle model. The one from CW is the noisier model and thinner mattress but a lot of people use them. Our model Tana had the full size queen so that is what we got in the Select Comfort but if you have the shorter size now you will have to replace it with the special one they make for RV's. Go online and see the different models. We have an outlet right by the bed in our monty. We sure do love our Select Comfort.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Several folks have installed the air beds from http://www.Bearbeds.com. We have one in our stickhouse and have been happy with it. We have a 2" Foam Topper on the OEM mattress in the coach. If we get to fulltime/longtime we will put in a bearbed. We found the Bearbeds to be less expensive and the pumps are housed inside the mattress. The downside is the remotes do not have numbers so you adjust to feel.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
We purchased a Sleep Number bed last April at CW during The Rally at Daytona Beach and have been very pleased. We bought the Short queen size to replace the same size mattress. We are both only 5'1" and don't need the extra length of a king. I also put a duplex receptcle on either side of the platform for the pump,reading light,and electric blanket. The pump fits perfectly on the small raised area on the wife's side of the floor.
Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
drjjj, we have had a bearbed for 4 years now, it is a good bed, we have had a couple of issues with 2 bladders that got holes in the same place. The company replaced them, while under a year warranty, but make you pay shipping. We looked at the comfort select, but the air compressors being built in on the bearbed was the seller. The cost difference is worth the difference too.
They also made a short queen that fit in our unit.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
rvfirefighter
did your oem mattress have the rounded corners on the end and did bearbeds make it to fit?. We have the king bed. Also what do you think caused the bladder to leak in same place?. We are looking at purchasing one of these. Would you reccomend even with problem?
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
pud2, Our oem mattress did not have rounded corners and the short queen fit with no modifications. I feel the leaks were a manufacturing problem, being they were in the same place and no damage had caused them.
I would reccomend them because of the price, the way the compressors fit inside the mattress, and everything else seems fine.
I feel you would be satisfied.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We too have the bear bed and no problems to date.Our OEM was a standard 60X80 Queen and the Bear bed was a standard 60X 80 queen so no problem with fit. The sell point was the compressors are internal to the mattress and of course the price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote