Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Alignment problem

After getting back from Key West I did a thorough inspection of the Mountaineer I discovered a 1/4" inside tire wear on the awning side.(both tires) I returned the unit a week before the one year warranty to the dealer. They called Keystone to have approval to fix it and a rep there said it was normal wear!! After the dealer called me back I told them it was unexceptable. They called again, and again the rep said there was nothing they could do. We have the Dexter axels and all the air pressure was correct. The dealer said it was definetly out of alignment. So now one of the owners of the dealership is getting involved and going to call Keystone. I had a 32ft. Citation TT for almost 2 years and put a lot of miles on it and never had one problem!! nothing!!Never had to bring it in for warranty work. I`ve had this Mountaineer 1yr. and had problems with the bedroom slide, interior mouldings coming loose, a crack under the bedroom slide on the exterior wall, big leak on the entertainment slide, light fixtures above the dining table falling off, exterior moulding around living room dinette slide needed to be replaced, stove ignitor needed to be replaced, now the alignment problem and I don`t remember hitting any big potholes!! The Dealer has been great but I`ll never buy another Keystone product again. When I`ve had enough of this unit I`ll sell her and buy another Citation, but a 5th wheel. I must have gotten the lemon out of the orange barrel!! If the dealer cannot get action I will call the rep personally. The unit has been sitting at the dealers for over 2 weeks now! I hope I get to use it this year hahaha, If I get no satisfaction anyone know of any good alignment places in the Detroit area, and roughly how much I`m looking at to do an alignment. In Canada a friend told me they paid close to $400 to have it done in Windsor Ont. across from Detroit. I`ll take it over to the U.S. side if its a better price, it might be worth it. Thx Mark

mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had both axles aligned in Elkhart, IN, for a total cost of $150. Axles can be knocked out of alignment several ways. Potholes is just one. Mismatched tires on the same axle is another. Original misalignment is another. There are probably other reasons.

I agree with you that tire wear is unacceptable. If I were you I'd call Keystone direct and politely discuss it with them if you are positive you did not cause the misalignment. (574) 535-2100 and ask for customer service.

I can understand how, after a year, something like alignment that can be caused by so many things might cause a mfr to question whether it's a warranty item or whether the owner caused the problem. On the other hand, how can we tell there's a problem until we've put enough miles on the rig to see the tire wear? I'd suggest you call Keystone personally and discuss it. You sure have had more than your share of problems.

Good luck. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
odfwcliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #3946
WEll, seems that my 6000# axles on my 1999 3255RL turned out to be 5200# units! And Keystone is refusing to replace them with the propper 6000# units!!!! The nose sticker says 6000# axles, and the GVWR is 14,220!! Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone else bothered to check the axle tags on their unit when alignment is in question? Anyone else with a 3255RL PLEASE CONTACT ME!!! Keystone tells me that that tag MUST BE IN ERROR!!! I THINK NOT!! What does your tag say? On the nose and on the axles? Take a crawl under and see!
odfwcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
On my Mountaineer 328rls it says 5200#. I had the alignment checked out at a local truck repair depot and it was fine. The tires definately needed balancing. Its too bad Keystone don`t balance the tires at the factory, or Tacoma should do it. The cost wouldn`t be that much, could you imagine if the Big 3 didn`t balance their tires before they left the factory?? We`d be buying new tires every couple months!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 AM   #5
odfwcliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #3946
The GVWR of My 3255RL is 14,220, and if you subtract the hitch weight of 2,245, you get 11,975 to sit on the axles! Divide that by 2, and you get 5,987.5, just a bit TOO MUCH for the 5,200# axles! And Keystone is refusing to right the problem! I will be talking to Lippert about this problem either today or tomorrow! Hopefully I won;t have to take it further to get it corrected, but I will if I have to!
odfwcliff is offline   Reply With Quote