Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #1
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Noisy neighbors, Any suggestions?

I full time in my 5er for work. Many of my neighbors do the same. Lately the park (which I really like compared to others in the area) has been getting a bunch of the "stay outside and play music" type of crowd. Has anybody had an experience in a park which heads down this path? It seems like the park may be attracting the same element. I'm worried it may turn downhill further. The owner is pretty receptive to my concerns and has addressed them but still it seems as though the mgr.s continue to allow this type to set up camp here. Other than move I'm not sure what I can do. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears!

P.S. I work really strange hours. I have to go to bed around 7 PM and get up at 3 AM so I know I won't have the best chances of others understanding my situation.

stungjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Moving tends to be the best option. IMHO outside stereo's are an invention RV's would be better off without.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I would get like minded neighbors together and inform the manager to fix it or we are moving.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I've worked off shifts before but never while living in an RV where you can hear everything. Part of working such shifts is realizing the rest of the world seems to conform to more traditional hours. It really sucked when I was trying to sleep when most others were playing, or mowing,or performing household maintenance. As long as the "stay outside and play music" type of crowd are operating within normal guidelines,music at a level that is not offensive to the neighbors with traditional schedules,and observing park quiet hours I don't think you have much of a beef. My solution was better ear plugs. Jim
Old 11-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #5
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Moving tends to be the best option. IMHO outside stereo's are an invention RV's would be better off without.
Places around here are still in pretty high demand. The newest place was filled up within a few days of opening. They even charge on a 28 day cycle so they're getting 13 months of rent per year. That and they're the highest place around and are still full up!

It's their car stereos they have playing. It's not that they're playing it very loud but it's the bass (all about the bass..song now stuck in my head). This place is pretty much all working people that have all kinds of work hours. Most are very respectful of their neighbors.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I would get like minded neighbors together and inform the manager to fix it or we are moving.
I spoke with the mgr. last night and again this morning. She had already told these people to turn it down due to a few complaints. I know there must be others they were fed up with them last night. But like I mentioned above there's really no place to move to close by and the owner knows he could fill the spot tomorrow. I have to park my big truck at the truck stop nearby so I have a bit of a limitation. I know one of the neighbors that complained (numerous times to the mgr said) and maybe we should pass along our concerns to the owner. The owner is really a pretty nice guy and he's spending a ton of money not only expanding the RV park but putting in cabins/apartments up front. He's pretty stressed about now haha.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

I've worked off shifts before but never while living in an RV where you can hear everything. Part of working such shifts is realizing the rest of the world seems to conform to more traditional hours. It really sucked when I was trying to sleep when most others were playing, or mowing,or performing household maintenance. As long as the "stay outside and play music" type of crowd are operating within normal guidelines,music at a level that is not offensive to the neighbors with traditional schedules,and observing park quiet hours I don't think you have much of a beef. My solution was better ear plugs. Jim
I hear ya (pun intended). My schedule is not as bad as some so it's not as bad for me as others here. The "park rules" state no loud outside music at any time and no noise after 10PM. Now loud is subjective and I know I have turned into my father when it comes to loud music. What was not an offensive level when I was a teenager is now "You darn kids turn that crap down!"
Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
talked to owner and it continues. move.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
x2
Inconsiderate neighbors are not unique to RV parks. Uncontrolled barking dogs can also be a problem at your stick house as well.
Low class rude people are not limited by geography.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Ever consider using a small tornado fan in the BR? My wife uses it as a cover for my snoring, but honestly, when it is running, it is difficult to hear much of anything outside.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
It's a reflection of people's attitudes nowadays, no consideration for anyone around you. When school is out at our seasonal site we find quiet time doesn't seem to apply to children, after all they are just having fun. Yep running around all the campers playing tag/hide & seek at midnight while mom and dad continue to sip on theirs beers. Usually look forward to the return of the school year and camp lots before school gets out in June.

We find a fan of some type certainly helps to dull the outside noise.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Had the same problem in a park last Feb. After coming up with every idea from playing a complete different music just as loud aimed at them to waking them up in the morning with music or noise, I went over to them and asked them to please keep it down and explained why. The said sorry, they didn't know their music would carry so far and they turned it down. It was still being played at night, just not as loud. The face to face positive contact made a much better impression than complaining to the management which I knew would't work.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #11
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
A fan! A simple fix that I never thought of, thanks.

mazboy,
It's a different site this time but I understand a move will fix this place but it's a fifty fifty chance I will run into a new set of noisy neighbors.

I have also found, when renting apartments, the more rent you pay the classier environment you surround yourself with.

BTW, darmar, there are kids here and they're better behaved than some of the adults..haha
Old 11-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ranch560

Had the same problem in a park last Feb. After coming up with every idea from playing a complete different music just as loud aimed at them to waking them up in the morning with music or noise, I went over to them and asked them to please keep it down and explained why. The said sorry, they didn't know their music would carry so far and they turned it down. It was still being played at night, just not as loud. The face to face positive contact made a much better impression than complaining to the management which I knew would't work.
Although he didn't tell me not to go to the offenders, the owner asked that I contact the office should there be any further "events".
Old 11-07-2015, 05:28 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stungjoe

A fan! A simple fix that I never thought of, thanks.

mazboy,
It's a different site this time but I understand a move will fix this place but it's a fifty fifty chance I will run into a new set of noisy neighbors.

I have also found, when renting apartments, the more rent you pay the classier environment you surround yourself with.

BTW, darmar, there are kids here and they're better behaved than some of the adults..haha
Of course many are just great kids. When we identify the children that don't have respect for anyone else all we have to do is look toward the parents and their behavior. If they are not taught right and wrong at home how should they know???
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #14
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Of course many are just great kids. When we identify the children that don't have respect for anyone else all we have to do is look toward the parents and their behavior. If they are not taught right and wrong at home how should they know???
I see it all of the time. As a kid all my mother had to do was say "wait till your father gets home" It worked 95% of the time. The other 5% involved a belt and a hug afterwards...haha Now days I think some parents are too scared to discipline their younglings and have just given up.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:55 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That is why I bought a Membership only Resort System with thousands of parks across the US,you get Zero of that B.S.,You pay a chunk of change to belong to one but it has been well worth it to me and my wife as fulltimers,I realize not everybody can afford it but if you can it is worth every cent
Old 11-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
If you can't resolve grab some of those little earplugs and shut the world out. I just spent a month in a park right along the freeway. Box fan would normally drown the noise out pretty well but once the temps dropped I'd freeze. Opted for the squeezy earplugs and the freeway was gone.

I'm not the fan of outdoor music at all or load anything but we are sharing our worlds with the weekenders that are there to have a good time. Hard to argue the point if they aren't being obnoxious and simply playing some background music during non quiet time hours.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sounds like a schedule that is not really compatible with the main group of people there at the campground or most of the world in general.
I think the earplugs are the best way to go so long as the neighbors are not overdoing it. RV's are not great at keeping sound out but dual pane windows help along with possibly running the circulation fan on continuous mode.

Tom Marty
Old 11-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #18
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Seems to me that many CGs are catering to people that live there year round. Many, at least at one where we go, are unemployed thus have no incentive to go to bed at a normal hour. Not only that, but their RVs are old FEMA trailers or similar and their sites get filled up with misc 'stuff' (junk) causing an eyesore. Several of us have gone to the owner and expressed our dissatisfaction. He's stated he'll take action...we'll see.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #19
stungjoe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14623
Thanks for all of the responses! I will try the ear plugs since I have access to an unlimited supply from work.

Most of the campgrounds around here have some form of permanent residents. They are usually the ones with the green moss growing on them or the sever black streaks running down their sides. Houston after all is VERY humid thus propagating this unsightly growth. The place I am at only has one like this and it's the manager's motorhome..haha. I wash my trailer every other month. The sights are kept pretty much clutter free which attracted me to this place. But as Tom said many other places catering to the resident dweller have haphazard dog pens, blue tarp awnings and various degrees of accumulated "stuff" around their trailer. All signs of a neglected CG. I am keeping an eye open for the rare home owner that has that one or two spots "out back" and runs a tight ship.

But again, thanks for the help and personal insights.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Joe, if the earplugs don't work, and the fan isn't loud enough, then go to your local Walmart and get a little sound machine. I just picked one up for less than $15.00. It can run on batteries or you can plug it in. I use mine turned up all the way with "white noise" and it blocks out everything. I could have a neighbor playing his stereo in my back yard and I wouldn't hear it!