Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You guys remind me to take a look at it at Q. No way will I remember that long! I also am going to go read Pbahlin's writeup. What I want is push one button and it's auto leveled in both planes and is rock solid. And cheap.

Pbahlin - great read! I was laughing out loud while reading your writeup! Very funny but very informative. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Now I have to go see what kind of wallet damage the system causes. Then go buy some lottery tickets.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #22
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
To all I'm having the Lippert lever up system installed on 10/11 at Trailair for $2,400. Could not pass it up. Also before that having MorRide IS axel added to my trailer, because both my axels were bent and springs were damage and MorRide rubber supension needed replaced.

I have weighted my rig and not over weight, wore out G614 in 13,000 miles.
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #23
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have an appointment to have the Level-Up System installed on the 19th of Oct at Trailair, not because of any problems, I'm just sick and tired of carting around and assortment of boards and blocks to level the unit on uneven ground. I like the idea of 6 jacks vs those with 4. Should be earier on the frame. I also understand it makes the unit feel like it's on cement blocks. Glad I didn't just put on the JTs.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #24
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I have the Lippert System on my 3400.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I guess my $2400 question is, what is the cost difference between Lippert and Big Foot. They both sound like they work great and Louise just said, "it's only money so get it if you want. Yea baby.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

I guess my $2400 question is, what is the cost difference between Lippert and Big Foot. They both sound like they work great and Louise just said, "it's only money so get it if you want. Yea baby.
I can only give you what I paid for my BigFoot installation. It was done in California where the labor rates are high and it cost me $5100. I believe you can get it done cheaper if you went to the Quadra Mfg. factory in White Pigeon, MI.

Regardless, your money will be well spent. You get what you pay for. Compare all the attributes of the systems before you decide. Check out BigFoot. Note that the website says the system has ONE pump for the entire system. This is not true; the system has one pump for each leg (four pumps). I have e-mailed Quadra Mfg. and asked them to correct their website.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Ron,

Can you provide more into?
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #28
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
My understanding is the Big Foot system use 4 jacks, while the Lippert uses 6. 2 replace the landing gear, one pair in from of the axles and the third pair behind the axles. I don't think you can beat the rally price.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

My understanding is the Big Foot system use 4 jacks, while the Lippert uses 6. 2 replace the landing gear, one pair in from of the axles and the third pair behind the axles. I don't think you can beat the rally price.
You're absolutely correct about BigFoot. However, the four jacks prove sufficient for me. I think we might be comparing apples to oranges. Though both systems may be good, you have to compare their various characteristics. I've had motorhome owners tell me they wish they had the BigFoot system rather than what they have. The normal motorhome has jacks that are extended hydraulically but are retracted with springs that rust and corrode and eventually have to be replaced. The BigFoot system has individual pumps on each leg that are extended and retracted hydraulically. Each pump on the Bigfoot system has its own hydraulic reservoir. There are no long hoses running to each leg.

Orv
Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #30
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I sent Jarod, not Subway, an email to schedule installing of the Lippert system. For half the price I can put that towards other upgrades.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Ron,

Can you provide more into?
We are at the Fall Rally, we had it put on on Tue. When we got to the rally we turned it on, raised the weight off the hitch , pulled forward and went back and pressed Autolevel. It does have 6 legs, they all work both ways on the hydraulic system, no springs to raise them. We have no other stablizers and to us it feels like we are on solid ground. I can`t tell you what we will think after having it a year, but sofar we like it. The rally price is about 40% of what they have been charging.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #32
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ron,
How well will that work in the mud?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #33
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Geez Charlie, who camps in the mud??? Kidding, of course......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #34
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Charlie
I hope I never find out.
Ron
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #35
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

I wrote about the real story of my installation on my blog. If you want to learn more about what it takes to get these things on, have a read.
Love your write up, do you have any pictures where they installed the control panel and the mounting of the front jacks? Did you get a Rally discount? I couldn't make the Rally this year, but hope to make it next year.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #36
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
7.3Ford:

With Big Foot your front jacks get replaced. The new hydraulic ones go in the exact same spot as the originals. There is a 'box' about 6dx8wx12h that contains pump, reservoir, and electronics for each hydraulic cylinder. For my fronts, I had the boxes mounted in the front storage compartment and I had them put them high and to the front, one on each side. You've got a bit of flexibility on where these go because your only limited by the length of a wiring harness and hydraulic lines.

The rear jacks are mounted to the frame just behind the rearmost wheel and the boxes for these are mounted immediately behind that.

The control unit is a little box 8x4x2 that is on the end of an 8' cable. I had them mount this by going through the wall where the old jack switch was mounted but I assume they could put this anywhere you want.

I left my rear stabilizers on and have found that they are still useful to eliminate side to side shake from wind. They don't add to vertical stability at all but I've been in some wind where the rig was doing considerable moving (pre-big foot) and the stabilizers stop that dead.

I was told (by Big Foot folks) that Lippert went with a six cylinder system because some Lippert frames are designed with more flex and can't tolerate a four cylinder lift (not Montanas). Having seen 'my' frame on the factory tour I would have to agree with these guys. Six cylinders are not needed on my rig. Having said that, If the Lippert system provides six, especially at the rally price, what's the harm? The only thing I'd be concerned about is the challenge of providing equal lift on all six cylinders. That has to be harder than doing it for just four.

Big foot cylinders are each capable of lifting my entire gross weight. The Lippert cylinders are about half the big foot diameter so (I'm guessing here) possibly they are rated lower but if they can collectively lift it, no big deal right?

Whatever system you get, be sure to get one that uses hydraulics up and down (no spring returns). Then your only maintenance is an occasional spray of silicon on the exposed cylinders and limit switches. I've talked to motor home folks who carry pry bars and wooden blocks to get the cylinders up.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #37
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Here's a question for all who have auto leveling or for that matter, manual leveling. Do you think it's worthwhile to check and re-level if necessary after a significant rain/mud event?.

I'm sure we've all seen the relic seasonal unit that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree with a corner sunk into the ground with jacks under the slide outs that have pushed the slide skyward.

Does anybody do this?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Paul,

In your great blog you said, " The controller comes on a long pendant so you can walk around to get a better view of what’s happening than I ever had with the old system"

Where is the panel mounted?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #39
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Paul,

In your great blog you said, " The controller comes on a long pendant so you can walk around to get a better view of what’s happening than I ever had with the old system"

Where is the panel mounted?
On our unit the original switch was inside the basement on the driver's side. I had them mount the panel in the same place right behind the driver's side propane bottle. I opted for mounting the panel solid rather than having it on a long cable so I could walk around. I saw no reason for having it so I could walk around with the panel in my hand. Why? Because you push a button and it levels!

Orv
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #40
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Here's a question for all who have auto leveling or for that matter, manual leveling. Do you think it's worthwhile to check and re-level if necessary after a significant rain/mud event?.

I'm sure we've all seen the relic seasonal unit that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree with a corner sunk into the ground with jacks under the slide outs that have pushed the slide skyward.

Does anybody do this?
I've never had any problem. If there appears to be an "unleveling," all you have to do is put the system in program mode and adjust properly. Just remember to adjust the levelers two at a time.

Orv