Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Furnace problem--PROBLEM SOLVED...

Furnace was operating properly when the campground had a power outage. The outage should not have effected the furnace as it runs on 12V. Now the furnace seems to fire up but the fan doesn't kick on and the furnace shuts down. Fan will run in the Fan only position on the thermostat.
Checked all circuit breakers and fusses. Everything checks OK.

ON EDIT....
FEEL LIKE A REAL DUMMY. This morning I went out to check what I KNOW to be 2 full tanks and found the indicator to be red. That didn't make any sense and when I switched over to the second tank the indicator didn't switch to green. Gotta a BIG feeling I gots a bad regulator. Monday I'll be getting a new reg. Under warranty of course.

Moral of the story, "DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED"

AND just what is a Sail Switch? Saw sail swich in the owners manual but couldn't figure out what they and JimF were refering to.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
sounds like a stuck sail switch..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
So what's a Sail Switch and where would one find it?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I found this among my book marks. It might help

http://www.ducktec.com/furnace-trouble-shooting.htm

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
John - that link's a keeper. Thanks!

Glenn opted to edit his original post, rather than add a new one. Someone smarter than me still needs to explain the sail switch. All I know is there's a switch in the flow system shaped like a sail that turns on/off depending on the airflow across it moving it.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Glen-
This something you might want to look for. When my rig was brand new and I used the first tank of propane and the regulator that was supposed to switch to the other tank failed because of another reason other than a faulty regulator.

My problem was the cross over pipe from the driver side tank was left with oil inside when the pipe threads were cut. I don't know whose responsibility to clean the inside of the pipe was, the supplier or Keystone at the assembly point. Regardless the oil was there and it caused quite a headache. Even after cleaning the pipe I still do not trust the system to perform as designed and physically switch tanks after the one on the door side in service goes empty. Hope this is not your problem.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
when they fill my tanks, the air wasn't purged on of my tanks and my furnace would not run. the fan would come on but no heat. hope this might help
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A sail switch is a switch inside the furnace that has a blade (or sail) attached to an arm that catches the air created by the running of the fan. This turns the switch on and allows the propane to be sent to the burner. This may not be the manufacturer's description but that's what it is. If the switch is bad (or stuck) it will not allow propane to flow. In our case, a technician told me to rap the side of the furnace with a rubber mallet and most times the switch will work. It did, it still does.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
The sail switch is a safety switch to prove that the combustion power blower is running.This switch must prove before power is sent to the gas valve.On commercial boilers they call it a air proving switch but it does the same thing however works different.The sail switch is probably just a metal tail on a microswitch that is located in the air stream of the combustion air fan.If the fan runs the little tail will catch the air and move,thus closing the contacts on the microswitch.If the switch is defective or the sail part breaks off;or worse muddoppers or wasps build a nest in the airtube the switch will not close and thus no power to the gas valve.If you feel air on the exhaust blower side of the furnace and no heat you probably first would check the airswitch.Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, you need to go farther south, where you don't need that furnace!!! (that's a gotcha, in case you didn't notice, Glenn! )
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks guys for teaching me yet one more thing! And now I will know what a sail switch is.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Heck, I thought it was a switch that you turn on and go sailing in your Montana. NOT
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote