Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
DIY Slide Out Covers

Our slides only get pulled in for the winter storage. I recently cleaned them off and thought what a rough life they have being basically flat. They were covered with wet leaves and twigs. The summer sun has to be brutal. Slide Out Awnings (Toppers) would be an option but expensive and unnecessarily complicated. I did some online research and on another forum I found

"What I did was have a canvas man custom make me toppers that slide into a track and snap tite over the leading edge of the slide. They do not hold any water and are not noisy in the wind. I love them and work great,much cheaper too."

Anybody ever see such a thing. Sounds like it would work. I'd only put them on in the spring and remove in the fall.

Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sounds like a great idea to me as well. Easy to put snap posts on the top outside of the slide/s. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
Igoo65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25159
That is a great idea. Do you have any pictures of the installation and who made them for you.

Thanks,
Igoo65
Igoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
That's just it, I haven't done it yet ,I copied the idea from another forum. I had hoped somebody here would come up with some pictures that I could show a canvas guy. It seems like some company would offer this type of a cover in a kit form with a made to order size. Awning rail, keder rail, I've been researching the idea. (Amazon)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
My slide toppers end at the edge of the slide. I wish they were 2" longer at each end so they covered the slide. When it rains they collect water then eventually it runs off.
When you make your covers, make them longer than the slide. Maybe use a couple of pool noodles under them to prevent rain water buildup.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Sounds like a lot of effort to crawl up a ladder with slides in then again with slides out. Maybe you could snap them on before putting slides out?
My experience with canvas is it shrinks and deteriorates much faster than awning materials. Canvas is cotton and had to be treated periodically to maintain water resistance.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Good Point, Awning material probably would be the way to go. It looks to me that if it was made with Keder rails the fabric would slide in pretty easy and could be installed easily with the slides out. I just replaced our awning that uses a metal awning rail and it wasn't all that easy but came out nice.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Interesting. If you are putting away for storage, maybe a second set of snaps could be installed half way down the slide so you could keep the canvas in the tray and snap further down during storage. You wouldn’t lose them and they could provide a bit more protection.
Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote