Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Wow...that was close!!

Took the Monty in for state inspection, check to roof, seals, brakes, suspension, etc. Apparently the rear passenger side lost the bolt to the rear hanger of the suspension. The axle was floating and the spring was free. No damage thankfully but it could have been a catastrophe.

I think this is one way to tip me to getting the independent suspension along with disk brakes at the rally next year.

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thanx for the heads up and I am glad nothing bad happened I will check mine right now
Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you caught it in time!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
This is the exact same thing that happened to me earlier last year. I was under the rv torquing the suspension and noticed the rear wet bolt was missing. I also noticed the inside of my rear tire was almost slick. Further inspection i noticed the rear wheel had shifted forward. This was because when i backed the rv in the driveway the rear axle shifted forward and when going forward the axle would shift backward and twist so as to wear inside the tire. I inserted a 5/8 grade 8 bolt in the shackle with lock nut and made a trip. I then decided to go ahead and have the IS and brakes installed at Mor-ryde. Having this incident was probably a good thing because it convinced my wife to have it done. She always thinks i want to just spend money carelessly on the rv but changed her mind after this. You will be glad you had this done. No telling how long my shackle was broke but it was long enough to wear out the inside of my tire. Good-Luck.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Lucky the tech caught this for you. I seem to have the same problem with my wife too when I want/try to upgrade items on the Montana or my truck!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good catch
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
The back bracket on my leaf spring broke.
Had to have a new bracket welded on.
Already have an appointment for mid May 2017
at MorRyde in Goshen to have the IS and disk brake installed.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
What is the advantage of IS?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
The is allows each wheel to work separately from the other. When you hit a pothole with one wheel the opposite side reacts because of the rigidness of the straight axle.You don't have that problem with the IS. With IS you have the same technology that you have on most cars today which is independent suspension which means each wheel is independent of the other which provides a much smoother ride .You also have shocks on each wheel which you don't have on most rv's. The shocks on the montana's with INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION is almost straight up and down which helps much better with the bounce. Most rv's that have shocks have them at an angle that does not help with the bounce much. You also have more wheel travel with the IS than with the standard mor-ryde suspension. More the travel the better the ride. You also don't have to worry about any broke axles with the IS on account there is no axle, just square tubing running from one side to the other to separate the wheels.IS gives you the best ride possible on your rv.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Can you purchase a new fifth wheel with the IS installed at time of building the unit?
My thought is, it would be cost efficient to the buyer not having to purchase axles, springs, hangers etc.

This may be a dumb question, but inquiring minds want to know.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
That's a great question. I upgraded to the Morning Ryde 4100 suspension as a result of the Legacy pkg but don't know if the Keystone factory has ability to do IS as part of the build.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
I had the mor-ryde 4100 from the factory also. I don't think you would save anything on account Keystone does not install IS systems. Mor-Ryde is the only manufacture to install them. I noticed several DRV's on the Mor-Ryde lot there for the IS system and asked the service manager if it was cheaper to have them installed before buying them and he said no. The reason was the manufacturer has to send them to Mor-Ryde with the springs,axles etc already installed. Mor-Ryde then cuts everything out from under the rv so as to install the IS.The manufacture can not reuse the suspension and axles on another unit after they have been used.This is a perfectly wasted suspension and i thought about taking my axles and springs home with me but there was just no room to haul them. The only thing i brought home was the wet bolts and that is what failed and caused me to have the IS done in the first place. So when DRV says there units come with the IS as factory equipment, you still paid for the previous suspension that it took to get the unit to Mor-Ryde. I don't know if Mor-Ryde has some buyer for the suspensions or sells the metal for scrap.Probably scrap.