Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Cats!!

Did I ever tell you how much I love cats. Well let me tell you once again, this cat of mine is definitely on my you know what list!! While down state this weekend we left our cat at the trailer with the neighbor to watch out for her. All went well till the cat gets on the kitchen counter (where she has been taught not to be) and either walks by the handle or rubs up against the handle of the sink faucet. Yup you got it, she turned the water on and it was on for the better part of 3 hrs. This filled the gray tank and then the sink and yup you guessed it the trailer. Water coming out the front door, out the slides etc. Not good to say the least. Damage is yet to be determined, but its not pretty!!!!

Sad part of all this is I always turn the water off going to the trailer when I go away for any length of time. But because the neighbor was watching the cat I knew she would need to give her water so I left it on. Just before I walked out the door I said to Linda, that I had better shut it off, then I second guessed myself and said it will be alright!! NOT!!!!

What a fluke thing to happen but it did.

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing. We have three cats and leave them while shopping etc (40-60 miles each way so we're gone a long time). I keep telling Joyce we need to shut the water off, but I've been too lazy to do it. Now I'm going to try and start.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our cat and dog are always crated when we leave the rig for any amount of time. It may sound cruel to some, but at least we know the rig is secure. In addition, the fantastic fans are always set at about 80 degrees just in case of a power outage.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow too bad!
Dont look like the trailer was checked on very much while you were gone either.
I guess that a lesson I'll have to remember "TURN OFF THE WATER". and leave the galley and gray tank drain valves open, but the one good thing is that it was all clean water. I would have rented a good wet dry vacume and sucked out a lot of water opened a lot of windows and prayed a lot for no worpage of wood products, and called my insurance company.
I wish you good luck on your new venture.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Probably a good idea to make sure the water pump is OFF, too. And I have to agree that the cat watcher must not have been watching too closely! Too bad. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote"this cat of mind". Who are you trying to make believe that? G We have a cat that decided to travel with us until he got a better offer. He has the run of the trailer including an outside cage when we are gone. He has a bowl full of water and a backup bowl just in case.

As for the water, we run off the water tank for this reason. The pump switch is the last thing we check as we go out the door.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't have a cat, but try to turn off the water when we go away for a long time. This is a great story to make sure I turn off the water supply for those "just in case moments" (many times I forget).

Water damage is not a thing I'd wanna risk. After all for us, it's just a 1/4 turn of a ball valve even with all the connectors, hoses, & filters. It's easy to do and just one less thing to worry about when we go off to have some fun?

Now we need to go find us a cat. Doh! Never mind, DW is allergic! But she sure is hankering for a little dog.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dave, you must have missed my post of a couple of years ago, Our one boy liked to rub up against things and turned our water on while we were and Mickey's House and came back like at 11 PM to water running out the door (we had the covers on the sink so it couldn't fill the Gray tank). What a mess to clean up when you're tired and just want to get to bed. Lesson learned.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Maybe I didn't make it clear that the cat watchers were just suppose to feed and water the kitty and put her in her cage outside a couple times. They were just next door but left to go get something to eat and when they got back they seen what happened. It appears from what we can tell that this happened somewhere between 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM. Not that long really as far as being away from the cat. She's mainly an inside cat anyway. It was just an unfortunate thing that happened and I in no way blame the cat watchers. If there is any blame it goes on me for doing what I know better and that was leaving that water on in the first place. Trying to make it easier on the sitter is all. Oh well, thats why we have ins. for accidents that happen.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote