Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Check valve / anti syphon valve?

We are at Mel and Joy's most excellent Yuma RV Resort! We dumped the black tank when we arrived and ran the flusher circuit until the water flowed clear. Next morning I opened the basement and saw a great deal of water! That is not a sight one wants to see when you open the door.

So we traced the water leak to its source. It appeared to be coming from the anti siphon valve located under the bathroom sink. So we replaced the valve. Today I dumped the black tank again and ran the flusher again. While flushing I monitored the leak area closely. No leak. But as soon as I stopped flushing once again there was water coming from the valve area.

We are a loss here as to what to do next! Anyone else ever had this kind of problem? I know many of you have replaced the valve in question. What has us stumped is why there would be water leaking from this circuit when there is NO pressure on the line! The only water that could be in the line is simply what is left in the line from the flushing but there is no pressure on the line.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a problem that I purchased a replacement anti-siphon in another application and after installation it did not fix the problem. I couldn't believe it but took it back and swapped it out and the problem got fixed. Other than the replacement was bad, that's all I can think of, but what are the odds? Maybe that's not where the problem was or maybe you have another problem area. Good luck with this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
HamRad,
I had the same problem. The valve needs a certain amout of pressure to actuate. If the water pressure is to low it will leak. If you do not disconnecct the hose and leave residual in the hose it will leak. Be sure that you are disconnecting the hose after using the flush. Hope that helps.
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,
Thanks for the info.

Dustin,
I appreciate your sharing. As a matter of fact I am leaving the hose hooked up to the flusher. This is not the first time I've done it this way but it is the first time it has leaked. I'll unhook the hose and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dennis, I removed my valve and pulled the plumbing down into the basement and put a open/close valve in line and eliminated all problems with that valve.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dustin,
Thanks. Your "fix" seems to have worked. I emptied the black tank and ran the flusher for a number of additional dumps. I then disconnected the hose and checked the leak. Thankfully there was no leak! I hope it was that simple. I appreciate your suggestion.

And Doug,
I appreciate your suggestion. And if the disconnection of the hose does not work for the long term I'll try your "fix".
Thanks,
Dennis
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's a new one on me but one I'm going to remember.

Doug, maybe at the rally, if either of us can remember, you can explain to me what you did. One of us remembering is probably the most difficult part...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We're getting ready to move tomorrow and I was just out checking the basement for a leak. It has been about 4 days now and NO leak. I'm therefore assuming it was indeed the hose that was hooked up to the flusher that was causing the problem. The end of the hose had a cutoff valve on it and I think it was leaking ever so slightly! Must have been just enough to trigger the valve but not enough for it to open or close completely.

Whatever was the cause it is not leaking now!

Later,
Dennis