Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Storage solutions

Thanks to Sailer John, I wanted to create more storage space. Unfortunately, I don't have John's talent or tools, so my wife and I went the pre-fab route and went shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot. With Kathy's help, we got it completed in no time!

Television on swing-out arm. Notice the wire shelving near the ceiling of the basement. The BBQ rests on the sterilite lids when traveling (catches any residual grease).

The wire shelving resting on double J brackets that are screwed into the plywood ceiling.

Attached some plastic drawers to the wire shelving.

My humble, outside, trash bag.

Got these shelves in the "kitchen storage area".

Guess what's in the blue chair storage bag resting near the dust pan? Extra hoses and extension cords.

Spice racks in the bedroom (attached to side of closet by bed).

Used those special rounded nuts and washers to avoid scratched fingers and also to provide strength.

Used toggle bolts for this one on the bedroom sink wall. I know these work because we had them in our old 5er and didn't remove the stuffs when moving down the road.

Gotta have something to read in the library.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Michael, Thanks for sharing, some good mod's there that I may have to copy.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Looks good Michael, I wish I had all that storage room in the basement. I use the "stuff/stuff" method. You know, just stuff all that stuff in there somewhere......Knowing where you stuffed certain stuff is important stuff!!!! Merry Christmas to you folks!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very, very, nice and neat. Goes along with two neat people....and a neat pooch....
Congrats on the new home.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
DolphinLover

M.O.C. #8983
Ozz, You are such a sweetheart! The basement actually looks better in person than it does in the photos. We were really at a loss as to what to do, but clutter makes us both tense and luckily we work well together. We spent an afternoon just staring at the space in the basement. Finally, I said we need to get these chairs off the floor. We had been looking for shelving, but hadn't been successful. It wasn't until we knew there was no other option and we wanted it done right now that it all came together. We ended up at Lowes and Home Depot just wandering the isles and staring (AGAIN!). Finally, we found something we thought would work and BINGO!

Once that stuff was off the basement floor, I asked Michael to pull out every container of stuff he had and put it in piles as to what it was or where he used it. I love it when a plan comes together! Merry Christmas to you and my BFF!
DolphinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK you two

WE NEED A NEW PHOTO OF THE NEW RIG!!!

In your sig line!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey guys , i think you did a great job and maybe after looking at mine you came up with better solutions , but whats importament , it works for you sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
To darn neat for me! I'd never find anything!!!

Nice job.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Michael and Kathy, Great job, Good looking and very functional.
to
You and All our MOC Friends
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Geez Michael, my garage at home isn't that well organized.

It really looks great!!

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks so much for sharing the storeage ideas. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. We are gonna copy some of your ideas. Thanks again.
gene and judi
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Michael and Kathy now thats a very professional job. We are kinda the same as for clutter. Delaine has a full time job keeping me in line.

I do have a question but I think I know but, what is the timer for in the docking station. Thats a good idea if its what I think it is. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Nice job. Very creative, I hope I can find something to do with my basement equally as efficient!
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Lindy,

The timer is on when I am using the black tank rinser and have the valve closed. I don't want to get distracted, and the chirp helps to remind me to open the valve.

Thanks to everyone else for the fine posts. We are very happy with the outcome, although after thinking on it for the night (with a cocktail to help the focus), I am going to reinforce the J brackets' attachment to the aluminum rafters by using some bolts. May not need them, but couldn't hurt.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
How long do you leave the valve shut when cleaning the black tank???
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
About 5 minutes, depending on the water volume out of the spigot. You can hear when the sprayer gets submerged. That's too much for me. Realistically, you could probably go 10 minutes, but again, that is too much for me.

Carol (Mrs. CountryGuy) can shed more light on the subject as I trust Al and her.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We go about 5 minutes as well.

BUT, here is a heads up on that submersion comment.

Last winter when we arrived in the RGV, we had trouble with that sprayer. I believe Al replaced that check valve, but something just was not right. Mostly the SOUND was not right. It used to sorta roar down there, you know, you could really hear that thing spraying the inside of the tank, and then, yes, if it got to the point that the sprayer was submerged, the sound changes pitch. Ours was not loud enough, when the tank was empty and we were just starting to run the sprayer, which meant to us, that the water output the sprayer was giving was poor to middlin.

WELL, after a lot of fuss and thinking and contemplating, Al got the tank full, and left it that way. I believe he filled with clean water, added a bit of soap, calgon, etc. and let it set with most clean water in there for a long while. I don't remember exactly HOW long, but, I am gonna say, it was over 4 hours, and may have been overnight.

Short result of my long story: We believe that there was gunk, paper or just minerals, not sure, dried on that sprayer hose that had the sprayer clogged and that by soaking, we softened it up, and it floated away.

From then on, we could hear that sprayer again.

BUT, when that sprayer is working as intended, about 5 minutes is our max as well.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
lfw, I think everyone flushes a little differently; for example, I empty tank, then run water for 2 minutes, completely empty, then close valve and run 2 minutes, while running, empty for 1 minute, repeat the two/one minute process. I also have the clear 6 inch extension and check for clear water before shutting down. Then the galley gets emptied, then finally the gray tank, which is mostly soapy water from the shower. Want to leave that hose smelling good. I then run about 1 minutes worth of water back into the black.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #19
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Thanks to everyone for all the information. I was not sure how long to run it..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
lfw,

Like exav8tr says, we run 2 minutes worth of water back into the tank, then we add (flush) calgon or some type of soap into the tank so that while we are driving the agitation will help soften whatever is left in the tank. You will be surprised at how well it cleans that tank!

Michael and Katy....real nice job. Gives me lots of needed ideas!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote