Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Battery Help

I have to admit, I am completely in the dark about batteries. So far, I have boondocked one time at Quartzsite this winter. I know that when plugged in to CG power, my AC line charges my battery (1 OEM) and when I pull my trailer the battery is being charged by the truck battery (correct?). IF I don't boondock WHY would I want to upgrade my batteries? I know if I boondock it is important to have a good battery bank and maybe someday I will get brave enough to do that AND add solar chargers, (the, I want to be like Robbie and Dave syndrome). In the meantime, any advantage to upgrading batteries???

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil and Cathy,

I could try? to explain it, but this website should make it very clear.

Go here: http://www.amsolar.com/

Then, EDUCATION / BATTERIES.

BTW, We have 6 Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries in the 6-volt model. They are expensive, but we love the way they work.

Hope this helps.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Because we dry camp whenever we can, we bit the bullet in 2003 and went with two 12-Volt AGM batteries that give us 510 amperes of storage. Sure has helped us a lot over the smaller batteries. As simonsrf says, AGM batteries are quite a bit more expensive than the normal battery. It really boils down to "what do you want or really need?".

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil, If you NEVER Dry camp/Boondock, then there is no reason to upgrade the batteries, or add a second one. If you seldom dry camp/boondock, then you probably want to add a second battery to get you by for a couple 2 or 3 nights. If you plan on dry camp/boondock for a week or so, then you need to really get educated on batteries, solar, generators, inverters etc.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks folks, I guess I will wait it out until we get more experience with dry camping, (or not)!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
As we posted in another thread, it's nice to have reserve power in case you need it. I should have stated that we need power for medical equpment (cpap). Just like last year at the fall rally we had a fire at the fairgrounds and the power was out all night and into the next day. In Texas last winter the power went out for a long period. Our experience with the lead acid batteries was they were never consistent. Hoping these AGM batteries will perform better.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote