Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Cracked wheel.

Last August we had a sidewall blowout on one of the Montana's Marathons. It gave the rim edge a slight flat spot. We bought 5 new G614's, and THAT rim mounted ok, held air, and showed no cracks. Thought we were good to go. After we got home this spring from a winter in Florida I found a crack in that wheel while giving the Monty a wax job. A SERIOUS crack (well, any crack is serious)that just looked like a hair, but, it went through the entire spoke! After moments of blank staring and trying to get color back in my face, I realized how lucky we were it didn't implode. I think we were being watched over on our trip home. I called Tredit and had a new wheel, lug nuts and metal air valve (about $120)in less than a week. Soooo, anyone who's had a blowout, inspect your wheels CLOSELY and often. Mine may have been cracked since the blowout but it wasn't visible and wasn't felt until months later. I waxed this Monty (always including the wheels) last Oct. and Jan. and didn't notice any crack. I realize I should have replaced that rim when the tire blew, but you know, hindsight.........

mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good information, thanks. Glad you caught it in time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Did you put 110 psi in the G614's or leave the pressure at 80? And if you did put 110 psi, were the wheels rated to hold that much pressure?
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Back of the wheels are stamped 110 or 115, don't remember which. I've been keeping 100psi in them, they run around 120-125 degrees on the highway when the air temp is in the 90's. They were running around 115 degrees coming home in April. The pass side runs about 3 degrees warmer than the drivers side (I use a handheld infrared temp gun from HF). Probably due to a slight difference in brake adjustment. Bearings were repacked last fall.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
A few months ago I was in contact with Tredit about some marks on my wheels that I thought might be cracks. It turned out to be defects in the clear coat however Cyndi Huxhold of Tredit told me the wheels have a lifetime warranty for structural defects so I don't understand why you had to pay for a replacement?

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Mike, I didn't consider it a structural defect. I attributed it to the sidewall blowout at 65 mph. Like I said, this resulted in a small flat spot on the rim edge from scraping the pavement but didn't affect it's ability to hold air. These are cast aluminum rims so they don't have the strength of forged wheels(or the expense). I never expected them to credit me a new wheel. Didn't mind paying for peace of mind, especially since we shelled out for 5 new g614's that should have been put on the Monty in the first place. I thought the price was very fair. As far as the crack goes, I found it when waxing the wheels. I could barely feel it with my bare fingers. At first I thought it was just a hairline bit of road tar, that's what it looked like, but it didn't rub off. I jacked the trailer and removed the wheel. From the backside, it was obvious it was a crack, completely thru the spoke. Tredit was plenty helpful, asking if I thought it was a defect. I said I didn't think so and explained why. I was being honest with them and liked dealing with them. I'm sure if you ever have a problem with any of their wheels, it would be easy to come to a resolution with them.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mobil,
A few years ago I had a slow leak in one of my tires. When I took it in to have it repaired or replaced they found that the wheel had a very small crack in it. I didn't even think about the wheel having a warranty on it. At the time my rig was about 8 years old. Limped home and got a replacement wheel. Travel safely, HamRad.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote