Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yikes! No more Apollo!

I just called Midwest, they lost their supplier, they have 0 parts, 0 scratch and dent, 0 used, and 0 new.
She said she does have the Sharp R-820 with a kit. $25.00 for the kit, and $300 for the convection oven.
Will it fit? How will it look? She did not know if it fit, she said at least 2 different people said it didn't fit well in their 'Coach'
What ever that means..They are currently looking for someone to supply them.
I need a control board it takes too long for my Biscuits to turn golden brown...
Any ideas? About the Convection oven, not the Biscuits..
Thanks!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
try the Dometic unit. Ours came with one however we are on our 3rd at the moment. The micro function worked fine but after only two power drops at various CGs the convection function crapped out. Since we got the Progressive Industries surge protector we have not had a problem. Not sure what took out your control board but if you dont already have one I would invest in a surge protector because after replacing 3 micro/conv units it is worth the price just to alleviate the hassle of replacement stress.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Buy a new Montana. It will come with a new one. We love the Frigidaire that came with ours.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Buy a new Montana. It will come with a new one. We love the Frigidaire that came with ours.
Cheaper to go to Hardee's if not too far away.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Ozz,

Bontrager's RV Surplus in White Pigeon, Mi. had some of the units. The ones they had were designed to mount over the stove top without the vent hood/cabinet like ours have. I bought one thinking it was the same as ours but took it back and bought one from Midwest that exactly matched ours.
Now with all that said, the oven portion was exactly the same oven just the casing surrounding it and the vent was different. Might give them a call and see if they have any left and just use it for parts to fix yours. 1-866-483-7017

Not sure what they would want for shipping but the Fall Rally is really close to White Pigeon and this would be a good excuse to be in the area.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Ha ha...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wingerphil

Ozz,

Bontrager's RV Surplus in White Pigeon, Mi. had some of the units. The ones they had were designed to mount over the stove top without the vent hood/cabinet like ours have. I bought one thinking it was the same as ours but took it back and bought one from Midwest that exactly matched ours.
Now with all that said, the oven portion was exactly the same oven just the casing surrounding it and the vent was different. Might give them a call and see if they have any left and just use it for parts to fix yours. 1-866-483-7017

Not sure what they would want for shipping but the Fall Rally is really close to White Pigeon and this would be a good excuse to be in the area.

Phil
Thank you my friend, I went to Ebay and bought a counter model for $90.00....white. Sue said, well tanke the innards out in put it in the cabinet.. We will see.. We may do just fine with a white unit. OR, I may take the control board out and put it in mine.
I really like the Apollo, so we will tinker..
We need to continue to install and service A/C units until the 1st of October, then head for the Desert.
Poo people has po ways...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
sounds like you are on the right track! Rudee loves our Apollo too. I felt really bad when I threw in 2 aluminum foil wrapped potatoes to bake and set it for 60 minutes on microwave instead of convection and headed back outside. Came back an hour later and the taters were really, really done and so was the oven
This all happened this spring and Midwest still had some in stock.

Good luck from one "po boy" to another

Phil
Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
I just purchased a "Half Time 4X" convection oven from Walmart.com that is same as what came in our Montana 3400RL. It delivered site to store in 4 days. It is made by Apollo like the original oven (AC24 BI B). 1800W of convection power and 1000W of microwave.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by guru1961

I just purchased a "Half Time 4X" convection oven from Walmart.com that is same as what came in our Montana 3400RL. It delivered site to store in 4 days. It is made by Apollo like the original oven (AC24 BI B). 1800W of convection power and 1000W of microwave.
Good buy! I see they are reduced to $199.00 and free shipping to store. It looks the same, but you might have to put the fan off the old one on this new one if it is not a built-in.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Our old one had the push button door while the new ones have a regular handle. When I replaced ours (through Midwest) they told me I had to buy a new plastic bezel as well due to the design change.
The Wal Mart one looks like a great deal and is almost 1/2 of what we paid for the one at Midwest.

Phil
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
Just finished the "re-install" of the purchased oven. I did have to put the blower fan on the new oven. The wiring was not the same inside :-( to connect the blower to make work as before, but added a light switch on the side compartment and wired to a cord end to plug into the receptacle behind the oven. The $199 oven is a little lower in wattage than the one that came with the Tana. I purchased the $299 model (Ultra 4X) which is identical in power output as before.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
On our third Apollo in seven years. We bought the last one at Wal-Mart. Don't forget to buy the Wal-Mart extended warranty- Just about guaranteed it will pay for itself.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I went for the Sharp model and it works fine, so far, one season or 5 months.
I did need to do some mods though as it made the cavity HOT, HOT.
Used a muffiun fan, 3", from Radio shack to vent the hot air through the cabinet above via some ABS 3" pipe through to the open air above.
Used a lighted switch to the front to control the fan. I have since bought a temp. sensitive switch, 120oF, to be automatic.
The Appolo front grill was reused with a bit of a trim to clear the Sharp door hinge and it looks like it belongs.
I did have to use a couple of pieces of 2 x 6 and plywood bits to hold the feet as the old base did not fit and to get the needed height to reuse the old grill. The plywood bits have a hole that the oven feet sit in and then are screwed to the 2 x6.

I will do some cleanup now that I am at home as it was a bit messy since all I had were hand tools,drill and a sabre saw.

I did ask at the available WalMarts and they didn't even know what I was talking about, Appolo, what's that??..
Several other mfgrs had what looked like good units but all were a hair too big and I didn't feel like butchering the cabinet.

Appolo seemed to be the only one that offered a vent fan kit as part of the installation package. All the others that I saw seemed to assume the unit was going to sit on a kitchen counter in open air so the convection heat would simply dissipate.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job Clark! Yep, good work on the Sharp fit, and the cooling fan. The Walmart unit is 1/2 time oven inc. 2x or 4x, I didn't know they had the 4x, but Jeff got one. The only thing I don't like about the 1/2 time inc. oven is that my fat fingers have a hard time pushing the buttons. they have small contact points you have to hit.