Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #41
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I usually wait to lube ours until they get a bit jumpy when moving. Lubing them smooths it out. Keystone Service Center said to lube them. But Lippert build them, so who knows. I don't know who is right. I just play it by ear and if they get jumpy they get lubed. Seems to me anything with metal to metal contact during movement ought to be lubed somehow.
are those guys fulltimers in the salt and nooks and crannies
Pugtracker, I'm not sure what you're asking. Sorry. If you mean are the Keystone people fulltimers, I doubt it but don't really know. They do know what works with their products and what doesn't, though, since they see the results. If you mean are we fulltimers, the answer is yes. If you meant something else, please clarify for me and I'll try to answer if I can.
sorry for confusion, As fulltimers we use our rigs everyday travel more often and see more salt, sand, rocks, mud etc..... so I am always cleaning under my slides. I had both shims on the shaft on my large slide wear through on the gears so i had a loser of an r/v repair guy replce them as the the slide went out of line. Of course he did a piss poor job lining it up. I have made my own adustments.

Anyway now im a little paranod to keep them nice and slick to slide in and out.

So my point is that they say do nothing is bad advice. over lube is better. That nylon piece inside that it slides on is a big dirt collector.It seems toe that the weight of the slide goes along this nylon strip so i always give it a cleaning amd a spray.

We have been doing this for three years now and a friend of mine turn me on to this site. This now my go to for advice.

Thanks

Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #42
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
[quote]quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
[i]
Steve, I actually lube the sides and top of the rack with silicone. The channel on ours has small pads that take the wear of the racks running in and out. I have found that lube helps smooth the operation of the slides. The inner end of the rack has a nylon roller. I sure wouldn't advise anyone to use grease or oil on the racks tho... too much chance of dirt and grit collecting. I really think Lippert saying not to lube the racks is probably another CYA statement....better dry than tons of grease or oil!
That makes sense to me. Thanks Will.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #43
Hal

M.O.C. #26196
Case for wheel bearing grease on the racks?

So I just slathered my slide out racks with wheel bearing grease. My logic is that attracting dirt and grit should not be issue because when closed, the racks are tucked in nicely underneath the belly coverings, which should isolate them from road grit, etc. Unless a sandstorm blows through while the slides are out, I don't think this will be an issue. What say you? Regards, Hal
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #44
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
You don'y put any lube on the gears as they are
A) not load bearing and
B) if you lube them it allows the rack to easily jump a tooth or more and make the slideout our of alignment.

Its your trailer so do what you want. No lube on the gears is what the mfg. says.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #45
Hal

M.O.C. #26196
I would humbly submit that the gear teeth on the the slides (and the pinions they mesh with) are loaded during transition of the slide. The ram side rack turns it's pinion, converting linear force into torque, which turns the non-ram side pinion via the torque shaft, which drives the non ram side rack in synchronous motion with the ram side rack. Those teeth slide into and out of engagement, and it makes me cringe to think of that happening with no lubrication. As for jumping a tooth because of the lube...you mean to tell me that the Lippert engineers are relying on gravity alone to maintain pinion/rack engagement, with no mechanical retention? That would be some seriously flawed engineering. Best regards, Hal
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #46
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm a bit confused about the reasoning of points A and B in reply #44?? Many of us with gear racks have been using dry moly lube spray for years as it doesn't attract dirt which does find its way to the greased gear racks with slides out. There are many manufacturers of the stuff and about any auto parts store or farm related store carries it. I also spray it on top and sides of the rack arms as there are wear pads in the extension tube that act as guides for the arms.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote