Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
AMERICANA REFRIGERATOR

We have a 2002 Montana Keystone 34' 5th wheel. The refrigerator doesn't have any controls on it for settings. We were told it was automatic. However, I continue to have moldy food after 2 or 3 days. Does anyone know how to make it colder? Sure would appreciate it.

ajjoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I think I have a good deal of knowledge of RVs but have not seen an Americana ref. Could it be a Norcold or Dometic with Americana style or model?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Just a suggestion as I too do not know the details of your fridge. Our older model had a small plastic clip that clipped on the coil fins in the rear at the top inside of the fridge. This clip slides up and down and controls the cooling in the fridge. Sliding the clip farther up the fin (remember by north) means colder, where farther down (south as in warmer climates) means less cold. If this doesn't work, then there is a problem that could be the thermistor (which is the clip) or the fridge may need a new charge of gas (I believe it is ammonia). Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Does it work better on propane or electric?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The Americana ref is a Dometic. Have put placed a temp guage in the refer to see how cold it is getting? Also check the cooling unit outside in the refer comparment. There is a large black pipe. It should feel warm or hot to the touch. If it is cold the cooling unit is not working right.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

I think I have a good deal of knowledge of RVs but have not seen an Americana ref. Could it be a Norcold or Dometic with Americana style or model?
It says Americana on the front of the door.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Just a suggestion as I too do not know the details of your fridge. Our older model had a small plastic clip that clipped on the coil fins in the rear at the top inside of the fridge. This clip slides up and down and controls the cooling in the fridge. Sliding the clip farther up the fin (remember by north) means colder, where farther down (south as in warmer climates) means less cold. If this doesn't work, then there is a problem that could be the thermistor (which is the clip) or the fridge may need a new charge of gas (I believe it is ammonia). Hope this helps.
Bingo
Thanks, I'll sure try that. It does have the sliding clip.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

Does it work better on propane or electric?
I can't tell much difference. I keep it on propane in the summer to keep our electric bill down.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

The Americana ref is a Dometic. Have put placed a temp guage in the refer to see how cold it is getting? Also check the cooling unit outside in the refer comparment. There is a large black pipe. It should feel warm or hot to the touch. If it is cold the cooling unit is not working right.
will do; thanks much
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
cooling unit guy told me when I replaced mine to run on elect as much as pos the gas flame is hard on the bottom of the tube. the pilot just sets and burns on the tube all the time. when I pulled mine around the botton of the tube was burned white and flakey and thats where it was leaking. now I only run it on gas when on the road and when I have to. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

cooling unit guy told me when I replaced mine to run on elect as much as pos the gas flame is hard on the bottom of the tube. the pilot just sets and burns on the tube all the time. when I pulled mine around the botton of the tube was burned white and flakey and thats where it was leaking. now I only run it on gas when on the road and when I have to. JMHO
Bobby
Great advice; I'll sure keep it on electric. I don't believe it takes much to run it on electric anyway. Thanks much.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ajjoez

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Bingo
Thanks, I'll sure try that. It does have the sliding clip.
I slid the clip nearly all the way up and the temp on the fridge is now 42*.... someone had told me to slide it down and that's what I'd done...duh. Sure do thank you very much. That will save us a lot of food that won't spoil so quickly.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keep an eye on the temperature, all the way up and you may end up with frozen milk, etc. It can take a few hours for the temperature to reach equilibrium, and especially so if you open the door a lot. Glad to be of help!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #14
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
The first thing I would do is buy one of these off EBAY. http://cgi.ebay.com/CHANEY-985-WIREL...item45f8409cf3
When you can watch what is going on as you make changes it is easier to trouble shoot. Recently we had a spring failure on the freezer door allowing the cold to escape the freezer compartment and everything in the box was freezing. Using propane means the flue must be clean (Not sooted up) It's not uncommon to discover leaves or even bird or mouse nests clogging the works. Good luck. Let us know what you find. John.... WorkerB
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote