Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
Leaving Slide out question

We just got our Montana TT and this is our first RV with a slide. Reading the manual it says it is not a good idea to leave the slide out for an extended period of time without supporting it. What do you all do to support your slides? We are planning to winter in AZ this coming winter and are trying to figure all this out ahead of time. I have a feeling we are in for quite a ride after doing some reading on this forum!

luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There are so many unanswered questions from your post.

What year is the Montana? Being a TT, it's probably an older model and I wonder if slides being relatively new, that it was weaker than the ones in the newer Montanas that don't have this caution. On my '06 there is just mention that the slides be retracted and extracted to ensure lubrication. It only cautions not to leave the slides extended while in storage. If you are living in it and almost the same as storage, the difference that is you'd be present to operate the slides for lubrication and would notice if any other slideout problem was going to occur.

How long is an extended period of time? A season, a month, a couple of weeks? What kind of support is called for? There are vertical supports sold after-market but some of us don't like the looks of these because of the potential damage to the slide or rig if a tire goes flat. Living in it as a full-timer and many owners don't operate their slides while living in them and haven't reported problems. In your model year maybe there was more to worry about.

Like everything else in a trailer, there's always something to worry about, but care, maintenance and checking should keep things working and safe.

If you are interested in supports, these are what I've seen, but have gone no further since I am not a full-timer and have never kept my slides out any longer than a couple of weeks:

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...l.cfm/pid/1599 (by Ultra Fab)
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...set-of-2/11253 (by Stromberg-Carlson)
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/RV_Part...stabilizer.htm (and several offerings from SideWinder)

As for the forum, you'll find a wealth of information and even some different options. But you should get enough info to satisfy your need from actual users and members to create an option that works for you . Welcome!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
You might want to add your TT model to the signature line for your posts. My neighbor just recently purchased a 2005 Mountaineer TT, and the slides are supported just like the ones on our fifth wheel. I'm thinking I read in our manual that Keystone advised against using supports under the fifth wheel slides, due to possible damage.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
OK, thank you. I asked DH to look up what he told me a few days ago and will report back. As soon as we take a photo and I earn how to put the signature info in I will do that to help out. We are learning a little bit everyday. I think I mistakenly called it a Montana TT, when what it says is Mountaineer Edition by Montana on the front of it. It is a 31RLD and is a 2008. Thank you all so much for the replies and help. Our last TT was a 23' Tahoe we went weekending and vacationing with, so we are stepping up in size and learning so much from this site and RV.net. I think it was TrailerTrash2 that sent me here and it sure is a wealth of knowledge!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No slide supports on our unit, if you sadly would happen to have a flat tire when those supports are in, think of the stresses and damage that might be done.

I believe your Mountaineer is at least as well made as our 2004 Montana was, and we have never, nor will we ever use those things. Slides were out for 5 months straight in Gulf Shores last year, just before we packed up, hubby did some cleaning and lubricating, no problems. NONE.

I am surprised (a LOT) that your manual says that?? Really?? Oh, geesh, the phrase, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING comes to mind.

Ya, snicker, I do have an opinion on this one! LOL Don't use em!

Enjoy that unit, and a westie too?? Well, welcome!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
Never used slide supports, never had a problem. Recreational use I leave it parked between use with slides out. On mine it seems to help keep the mice out of the interior. You do need to run the slides in occasionally to keep them lubed and the hydraulic rods from rusting.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to add my two cents: Carol is exactly right [as she usually is!]

Don't even think of using supports under your extended slide-outs.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
One would need some really tall supports for the bedroom slide
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I just got done with work camping for 13 months in Anacortes Wa. with all the rain and snow. I did not use any slide supports for that time period. When I was done with the job and heading home I just ran the slides in and did not have any problems. I do not plan on using anything like them in the future.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Luvmywestie,
It would appear that you have received an answer to your question about using supports under the slides. We have never used slide supports and as indicated in our signature block we have a 2002 model.

As to putting a signature in your posts.... just go to the upper right of any page and click on the PROFILE. Then just find the signature block toward the lower right hand section of that window. Put in your info and then make sure you save or update. If you have any trouble just post a request for help and you'll find more help than you can handle! Welcome to the MOC.
Happy and safe travels, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
We do not use any supports on our slides. We use ours anywhere from 6 to 18 months at a time without any issues.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
Thank you all SO much for answering our question and I REALLY appreciate that you have saved us a some $$$!!! There are so many things we NEED (?) that this is one thing we can skip! We moved everything from our little 23' TT and I have SO many places to put more STUFF!!

BTW, DH found the wording in the owner's manual and this is what is says exactly: "In extended use situations it is advisable to add support blocks under the side room. Do not raise the room just touch the bottom."