Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Underbelly covering problem

A section of the plastic sheet material that covers the underbelly of our 2006 3400RL detached recently. The self tapping screws that hold the material to the frame broke through the plastic material and allowed the sheet to hang down and almost drag on the ground. I'm not sure why or how it happened, but I refastened it. The holding surface area of the self tapping screw is pretty small and I can see that it might be easy for the plastic to fracture. I added 1-1/2 inch fender washers to each screw before I re-attached the material.The passenger side material was busted enough that the screws and fender washers did not make contact with the material so I used a 1-1/2 inch 4 foot angle iron brace along the length of the frame rail to provide adequate gripping surface. All of this was done in 28 degree wet weather just before we were starting on a trip, so when we get back to a nice clean surface and warmer weather I'll put fender washers on all of the fastening screws to be safe.

CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Our Montana has fender washers on all the self tapping screws holding the underbelly up except for the front dropped rail section that has a strip of aluminum on each side that the screws go through. Sounds like somebody on the assembly line forgot to use fender washers.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
nailbender, that must be a newer manufacturing process. My Monty and other Keystones from '06 that I've crawled under do not have fender washers. They use hex/washer heads but the washer part isn't much larger than the head. The worse problem I have is that the screws fall out. Fortunately, this happens at home when the trailer sits on the driveway.

I guess you've given me another project, but I'm gonna have to find a way to make sure these stay in better, too?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have an '02 model and the underbelly covering did not come with the fender washers. But we have, however, been adding them as we have worked on it. So now we have about 1/2 of the screws with fender washers on them. They make for a much more secure underbelly. I don't know if Keystone ever installed them on a routine basis. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
no fender washers on my 04 either ,there is now everytime i go under I'll remove the screws and put a fender washer on.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
No Fender Washers on our 02 and no problems
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I have a 2010 & have Fender Washers.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote