Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
ramrod861

M.O.C. #11356
MOR/RYDE SUSPENTION

need some help .
I have a 2008 Montana 5vrn 38 foot model 3600
i traveled from northern new Hampshire out to elephant butte n.m. checked the suspension after we got there because of bad tire ware and found out the shear springs were failing.
the service man here called your co. and they warranty'd them.
so we were sent two new shear springs and also the wet bolt kit that i had to pay for and installed every thing . to the tune of $500.00 dollars with parts and labor.
we went home 2,500 miles that spring and came back out the following fall 2500 miles and when I got ready to go back home again I got under the trailer to grease the suspension and saw a problem with the shear springs again , but worse this time they were completely ripped apart and my tires on the back axel were wearing bad. you must have a fix to this , I cant keep paying for repairs every year on this .
this is really upsetting me I don't feel safe on the road with this trailer the white elephant.
now I am still in n.m. trying to get ready to go back home but need to be fixed first
the part number of the shear springs I received from you the first time was .pt108-020 .
now are you sure this is the right part for carrying the 38 foot Montana .
I see in the book you have different spring codes .12,16,20,,24 now dose the higher number mean heavier load and dose the higher number fit in the same box.
I am really upset over this . Roger Tremblay

ramrod861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Is this a copy of the e-mail you sent to Montana? If you believe we here at MOC are Keystone we are not. We are just fellow Montana owners.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
From the tone of your post, it reads like you may think you are writing to Keystone when you post here. You are not. This is the Montana Owners Club. We are all owners like yourself. We have no parts or service here. It is a forum to discuss Montana whether good or bad.

Sorry you are having difficulties. When you say the "shear spring", are you talking about the rubber spring in the Mor/ryde? If so, you need to make contact with Mor/ryde support. They sent me new rubber springs when mine de-laminated. I installed it myself, but admit it is a bit of a hassle, especially the top 2 bolts on each side.

My concern for you is that your problem with tire wear may be the result of something other than the Mor/ryde equalizer. When I had my spring rubber spring problem, there was not an accompanying tire wear issue. I would also check for an alignment issue or axle problem.

You are very right when you say that you should not be continually having this kind of problem and expense. After I installed the new rubber spring and the wet bolt kit I haven't had another problem in over three years of extensive travel crisscrossing much of the USA on all kinds of roads.

If you have been visiting the forum much lately, there has been discussion about the "X-factor" cross bracing for the Mor/ryde RE suspension. I have just installed the middle brace on my 2008. I would recommend it for your rig since it also is a 2008 model.

Hope you can get the problem resolved in short order. These Montana units can be the source of a lot of fun and pleasure unless you become plagued with issues that will certainly sour it for you.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Just for information, I just had the rear spring support break on my 2006 2955RL. I didn't catch it until I had put several thousand miles on the unit, and the damage was pretty severe. The springs were BENT, and it damaged the front attach points as well as increased tire wear on the rear axle tires to the point that I had to replace them.
Hope this isn't a trend developing.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote