Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Mini-Winterizing?

A buddy mentioned this to me today. In the Seattle area I use my Monty in the winter but occasionally a storm like last week (20 degree's) will blow thru for a couple days-- scaring the you know what out of me. I drained all lines the best I could but water or air probably is in play. I set up my portable heater but my covered storage facility RV place occasionally looses power. He said pour a tad bit of anti-freeze in the sink lines and in the towel-bowl. I'm trying to figure out why this is a bad idea? Any thoughts??

jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Make sure you use the pink R V antifreez. I use it it all the water lines and traps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
What quantity in each place works? A Cup?-or 2, or more??
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Enough to fill the traps in each sink and the shower, also about a cup or two in the stool so the seal will not dry out! I'd blow the lines out if I were you between each outing just incase you get one of those three or four day freezes. You don't want the lines to freeze and break! If you have a washer/dryer prep that needs to be drained of blown out also. If you have an outside shower, that needs blowing out too. I'd drain the fresh water tank totally and also go to your low point drains and open them to drain any water in them also. This will help in clearing the lines of water also!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
If you blow out your lines than you can get by with just doing the traps and bowl with antifreeze. If you are just going to use AntiFreeze, you will need 3-4 Gallons. use the winterize connection in the convience center to suck the antifreeze from the container using the onboard pump. open the taps one at a time until you get pink antifreeze out of the line and then move to the next line. Remember to include washer lines and outside shower. If you installed a water filter you may need to remove the casing (like changing the filter element) and drain the water out of it.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wow Bill, I never use more than a gallon and a half or at least less than two gallons of the pink stuff to do our rig for a Nebraska winter and we've got a 2980RL with no washer/dryer set up, and I do the outside shower and put plenty into the traps and stool also. Maybe your pipes are bigger than ours or you have more of them!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Go here and watch the video on winterizing. It will answer any question you should have.

http://www.keystonerv.com/?page=video_library
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote