Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ice Fishing Up Close and Personal

If you happen to be traveling I-15 south of the Dillon, Montana, area on Saturday, January 24th, and you've never had an "up close and personal" experience with ice fishing,it would be worth your time to pull off at Exit 44 and see what's going on at the annual ice fishing derby on Clark Canyon Reservoir. It's a very easy off, easy on exit that will take you immediately into the camping area where you will find plenty of room to park your rig and walk out on the ice (or not). If you don't want to test your "ice legs," you can wander over to the Beaverhead Search & Rescue building and look at the fish being brought in by young and old fishermen . . . oops . . . fisherpeople . . . in hopes of winning some of the many cash prizes. I've fished the reservoir for years, but I've never brought in any fish as big and varied as I've seen caught during ice fishing season.

If you do stroll out on the ice, you'll get to see how thick it is (2+ feet as of today) and how beautiful it and the water below are. Want to try your hand at ice fishing, assuming you have a valid Montana fishing license? The Search & Rescue teams will drill you a hole for a buck--what a deal!

As I said, you'll find plenty of room to park and several easy loops to bring you in and out of the area without having to back up or wiggle your RV around in tight places. I believe the Search & Rescue folks have a food booth, too, so you can pick up something for lunch while you're there.

OH--I almost forgot. If you do get into the area, give us a heads-up because we live on the west side of the reservoir. We'll come over and introduce ourselves if we're around!

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Sounds like a ton of fun but we will be in Palm Springs @ the Laquinta resort for a meeting that weekend, anyway that would be a long haul from Montgomery Alabama(kinda tuff to do that in a 4 day weekend). Have fun and catch one for us. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Hmmmm . . . let me think about that. Palm Springs . . . ice, snow, mush . . . Palm Springs . . . ice, snow, slush. It's a no-brainer, probably.

Enjoy Palm Springs. You guys eat a fish without having to sit on a bucket on a frozen reservoir to catch it first. Still, ice fishing is highly addictive!

Carolyn
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My young bride and I went Ice Fishing with my father. He was fishing for perch and using a rig with two jigs on it. The rig was a short 18" pole and two jig hooks, very simple. Two guys close to us were fishing for pike and not getting a bite. My wife was not experienced at ice fishing so naturally she was pulling them up two at a time. After the third landing the pike fishermen packed up in disgust and move far a way grumbling about all their equipment with no fish and this lady getting them two at a time. We had to help my wife walk on the ice because this "Southern Bell" had never been on hard water before.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And don't forget the bucket does double duty, makes ice and seat!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Last year, my "Southern Belle" asked me dead seriously, "Why would anyone want to shovel snow?". She has sooooo much to learn.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Fish Stories we all have. Here's a true one as best recalled:

At age 10, born in Vermont, I went ice fishing with my Dad, Uncle and two cousins. We drove out on the lake in northern Vermont, hand poked the hole with a large bar. My uncle had his own shanty he dragged out earlier. Never ice fishing before, my Uncle gave me bait and my two cousins and I remained outside to fish. They were pulling in the perch...me nothing! Alot of laughing going on in the shanty. They come outside to look and my Uncle says, ...Dennis, maybe they just don't like vienna sausage!! end of story.
Carolyn, I'd love to ice fish just to remember that story over and over and of course, catch some fish, especially in Montana. Maybe some day. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
The fish I've seen brought in to the photo/weigh/measure station range from "thigh size" to "I'm never going in the water again if THAT'S what's in it" size," seriously. Some of the fish are gorgeous with iridescent copper/coral/red/gold coloring, and some are downright ugly. Perch-size? Rarely!

Carolyn
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I used to get to go fishing with my Daddy and the neighbor when I was a little girl. I remember driving on the ice and hearing it crack. For some reason I don't remember getting cold but I do remember the fish we caught. Didn't have to worry about them getting too warm--Oh Memories..
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Sven was out on a MN lake ice fishing. Ole pulled up on his snowmobile. "How's fishing, Sven?" Sven replies, "Not so good." Ole says "Hop on, Sven. We'll troll for awhile!"
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote