Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
What else do you really need?

So many questions....

As newbies, what else should we be considering as a must have after buying the basic unit itself? We noted some had two ac units and some had only one. What about a generator? What else do you think is a must have above and beyond the Montana itself? We are looking at fulltiming for at least a year.

We include a truck with an appropriate hitch as included in the basics.

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by osgoor

So many questions....

As newbies, what else should we be considering as a must have after buying the basic unit itself? We noted some had two ac units and some had only one. What about a generator? What else do you think is a must have above and beyond the Montana itself? We are looking at fulltiming for at least a year.

We include a truck with an appropriate hitch as included in the basics.
A lot will depend on what type of traveling you intend to do, and where you will be going. If you will be in a hot climate, the bigger rigs need two AC units and you will never hear someone say gee, I wish I only had one AC unit LOL If you will be dry camping you probably will want some alternate source of power other than the batteries - like solar or generator. We wanted to be fully self-contained so went with the onboard Onan LP generator.

The list is really extensive and depends on your needs and how much you want to spend. Most feel a good electrical management system (EMS) is a must have. This is not just a surge protector, but monitors other aspects as well such as low voltage.

TPMS - tire pressure monitoring system is a great safety item.

Upgraded tires as I'm sure you have read about the factory tires being questionable.

Fireplace is good to have for using electric heat at a campground rather than using up your propane.

The Level-Up system is a very popular upgrade which I think everyone who gets it is glad they did.

We went with Fantastic Fans in all three areas we could - living room, bathroom, and bedroom to make the coach as cool as possible without having to run the AC all the time. Vent covers are then a good idea.

We went with dual pane windows. A lot will say they are not worth it. I figured it has to help at least a little with decreasing condensation, and also I feel it does help cut down on the outside noise.

We upgraded the propane tanks to 40# due to the generator.

We had two six-volt batteries installed for dry camping as they have more amp hours than the twelve-volts.

A lot of people are installing LED bulbs to conserve battery power and cut down on heat.

I'm sure others will be along to add some good ones I have overlooked.

As for truck, depends on size of the trailer. However, if you think you might get a different trailer down the road, get the capable truck to begin with and save a lot of money in the long run. My opinion is a one ton is necessary, and preferably a dual rear wheel for the most payload for pin weight and added stability.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
First, describe your truck Make, model, engine type, Frame type (3/4, 1 ton, dual or single rear wheels), differential rating - actually, if you just provide the GVWR, FAWR, RAWR, and CGVWR (check the pillar and the book), and the fifth wheel tow rating (not the bumper tow rating) these would help describe the unit you can own. Do you have a crew cab, super crew, short bed or long bed?

Much of this affects the hitch and its cost, too. Fancy hitches (no rails), or sliding hitches (manual or automatic) weigh even more. Do you want fixed or removable? Do you want a flat bed or you don't mind the rails, (I have the rail kind and hate them because I use my truck bed for other things all the time and they affect the flat bed)?

How newbie are you? New to Camping, RVing, Fifth Wheels?

The options available for a trailer and what you plan to do with it will matter a lot. It is highly recommended a full timer get two A/Cs, but this might not be necessary for a part-timer who avoids RVing in hot weather (no sense towing the extra weight, incurring the cost or expense if you won't be needing it very often).

Older trailers will generally be lighter so you don't need as much truck. Newer trailers will have more stuff to improve your daily conveniences and will have higher capacities and thereby weight concerns, but not necessarily when towing. For example, being able to empty all your tanks before getting on the road saves hundreds of pounds - and there are ways to empty a tank besides being connected to a sewer drain.

A generator is popular for when you are not on the grid but do you need 30 amp worth or 50 amp worth? There are also other ways to power your rig off the grid, for example, solar panels and inverters which has a high initial investment but are easier, more reliable and less expensive over time.

Besides options there are many pieces of equipment you would need for any trailer and must be accounted for after the purchase. A comprehensive tool set (torque wrench, proper sockets, bottle jack(s), fuses, and the list is long). Electrical connections and adapters and safety equipment. Sewer hoses, fitting, supports or a macerator system. Water filters, supports, hoses, connectors. Then bins or boxes to store everything.

If you are not a full timer it is a great idea to stock the trailer with everything you need to duplicate everything you have in the stickhouse. This minimizes gathering things from the house when you want to RV. We stuffed our trailer with plates, silverware, pots, pans, toaster, griddles, coffee make and just about every equipment we would need in the RV and the only thing we take from the house is our clothing and some food (and many times we just buy food when we get there). The better the RV is prepared the easier it is to get up and go.

What you'll find about RVing is that with better planning and knowledge beforehand you'll prevent problems and make for better experiences if they occur. Many of us learned from mistakes and you're asking questions reminds me how I should have done the same. But I have no regrets today and the good times FAR outweigh any bad times. The good times provide great memories and the bad times taught me even better ones. Now we pass on what we've learned!

I have just touched on the tip of this iceberg but I hope I'm getting the learning juices going. There will be many others to add other things. Good luck to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
A good checklist with hooking and unhooking operations. With a big red tag on the hitch handle that says "ARE THE JACKS DOWN?". Dropping your 5er will be an educational experince at best.

If your going to be in hot areas, Two A/C's is a must. Get the low profile unit up front, my full size one up front looks like a black, tree limb snagging monster of death!

An upgraded sewer hose, Rhino Flex comes to mind, A complete kit with all kinds of fittings is available.

A TPMS system so if you run something over and you spring a leak on the freeway you dont find out by blowing a tire, or the next morning after you pull in.

A good GPS unit.

Replace tires with good American made tires.

Wet Bolt - Doesnt have to be done right away, but the heavier duty shackles are nice!

I would also add an 50amp extension cable to this list. Moving your camper afer your all set up and realize your six feet short is a pain.

The good news is, your not in a sailboat getting ready to sail to the Carribean where nothing is available. If you guys are on the road and forget something...guess what!!! A Walmart is on dang near every corner with big huge parking lots so you can run in and grab something. The same *almost goes for a camping world. So the most important thing to bring is yourselves, any meds you need, lots of food, an open mind, and lots of pateince.

After you get out there a few times, you'll figure out the Needs and Wants pretty quickly!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing no one has mentioned yet is chocks. Whether you use X chocks or just the old fashioned ones, you do need something to keep the wheels from rolling when parked.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
For the time you are outside, a good BBQ, several good folding chairs, folding tabel, tabel cloth, we have a 8 ft x 12 ft rug, folding trash holder, propane lantern, flash light.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
what is your budget!! Seriously though, a lot of items you should consider, some must have, some should have should have, some nice to have. Example: surge protector. I am sure you will get lots of responses to your question.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks to all for the feedback. It is appreciated. If you think of more items please let us know.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Blue Ox Bed Saver for your truck bed.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Good quality electrical hookup adapters, and extensions. We have the standard "anaconda" 50 amp cord, then a 25 foot extension cord that changes (adapts) the 50 amp to a 30 amp, then a short adapter cord that further changes the 30 amp to a 20 amp outlet. I got rid of that worthless 30 to 20 amp small round adapter they give you (usually) with the new trailer. That way, you are covered for most any electrical situation you might come across. We've run into a few campgrounds that only have 30 amp, and one place we volunteer at only has 20 amp available. Bear in mind, as you reduce down, so does your appliance usability in the 5'er.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
All good suggestions. To me, comments such as the ones previously stated really boil down to items on a list and/or procedures. As such, one necessity that has proven useful to me is the clipboard, because this simple device not only allows me to easily follow steps in a process but more importantly, it enables one to add new items or emphasize some unique aspect that makes the quality of the RV experience just a little better or easier. I suppose I could also use my Iphone, but we've tried to convert our food shopping lists to digital (Grocery Gadget app), but haven't been too successful on that account.

For example, I am new to the Level Up process and that heart stopping dip that goes along with setting up. So, on my arrival list, I would want to high lite moving my TV out of the way, especially after pounding out four hundred road miles and getting in at dusk. Some can remember all those arcane things that go hand in hand with safety and efficiency. Me, not so much. Good luck, have fun, camp on.

Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks again to all for the great info!