Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
Atlanta Blowout

I've joined the club. A Goodyear Marathon blowout damaged the side of my 2009 3400 while traveling on the Atlanta Bypass. I had planned on replacing the tires and rims when I returned to Indiana. I waited too long. I have a couple of questions for you experienced Montana owners. Did I read somewhere that Goodyear will help with damage caused by their Marathon blowouts? Also, where do you go to get bodywork done on a fifth-wheel?
I also have a warning for people who have or are thinking about getting Good Sams Road Service. After pulling over three lanes and getting my Monty off the road , we called Good Sams, explained our situation,gave the operator all our vital statistics, and waited for help. Good Sam sent out a young man in a car with a four-way tire wrench and a car jack to change the tire on my RV. Luckily a Georgia Road Hero (paid by the state ) showed up and did most of the work changing my tire. There was no way the Good Sams man could have changed my tire with the tools he brought. Needless to say, I'm not real thrilled with Good Sams. If you break down in Georgia call 511 and they'll come to your rescue for free and they have the correct equipment.

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Good Year Customer Service reimbursed me for the tire and the trailer repair. I brought the Monty to my dealer for the repairs.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
The "Marabomb" strikes again! Fair warning to all who currently have them on their rig.
I'm glad you weren't hurt and thanks for the heads up on dialing 511 when in Georgia!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry it happened, glad no one was hurt! Goodyear customer service for the damage - take the tire to a Goodyear Dealer you may be able to get some money back - change to Coach-Net when you are able. They understand what kind of rig we have and what equipment to send.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sorry to hear about the Good Sam service. I have heard very few complaints about them. Not a great place to have a blowout! If you call Keystone they can direct you to the nearest facility based on zip code.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
GOodyear treated me very well.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Did Good Sam call you back to see how satisfied you were? If not call them and give the the details. I agree about the Coach-Net rather than Good Sam. Coach-Net will always call you back to see how things went. I have had multiple opportunities to use their road service.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
GoodYear in most cases will replace the blown tire. You can trade in the other Marabombs for credit on the purchase of better tires. GoodYear does that. As far as the damage it is a case by case basis from what I have read, but most have been helped.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have to say, I am not liking hearing this about Good Sam. We have had some great experiences with them, and one that was marginal.

Let's face it, there are only so many businesses in any certain locality that can deal with towing, or flat tires, or whatever our emergency may be.

Are those businesses all created equal?? In my opinion, NO THEY ARE NOT!

Sadly, it may be the luck of the draw on where you are stranded on the quality of the business and their personal.

Sure the lists that Good Sam and Coachnet are supposed to be filled with qualified businesses that know us, the RVer. Obviously this kid got past the qualifying somehow, or rather his boss did.

I have no way of knowing, but, I am gonna guess that many businesses on those lists are on both sets of lists, both will work for Good Sam or Coachnet. Just because a business is listed for Coachnet does not mean they are not listed for Good Sam.

You might be a Coachnet member, blow a tire in the same place in Atlanta and get the same kid??

Maybe - - ??????

Ohhh, and I would be on the phone with Good Sam NOW complaining loud and strong, nicely, but LOUD and STRONG.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Based on comments on the Good Sam forums, this isn't normal but it's not unheard of. Basically it seems to stem from Good Sam farming the contract out every year instead of handling it in house. With Coach - Net your dealing with the company, with Good Sam your dealing with a sub contractor. I had a similar experience with road service coverage from Honda motorcycles. Since I had road service from three places (Honda, AAA and my insurance company) I picked Honda because I figured they'd know who and what to send. They sent someone who couldn't fix it and couldn't tow it. Luckily I had AAA at the time and dismissed the guy the Honda sub had sent and got a guy from AAA who not only solved the problem on the spot but said he was listed with the Honda folks sub as being able to fix that particular problem and should have been called first by the other company. The guy AAA sent also came with the sling to tow it if he couldn't fix it. Go figure.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote