Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Wingard GM 1518 carryout satellite dish issues

I just purchased the GM 1518 and have the Eastern Arc satellites (77, 72 and 61.5) using a fixed Dish Network dish, 500 I think, on a VIP 222 receiver for home viewing because of physical obstructions preventing me from using the Western Arc sats. Currently at home on the installation summary in the switch box, following "check switch" action, I get Dpp 1k.4w/separater. I believe that is because I have the separator hooked up on the back of the receiver allowing me to watch 2 tvs using #1 and #2 Dish Network remotes at once on different channels. My question is if I leave the receiver on the eastern satellites when using the Gm 1518 away from home in my RV, do I need to get the SW64 switch or is that only needed with Western Arc sats since I would not be toggling between the primary 119 and alternate sats in the Western Arc as the GM 1518 manual indicates? The manual is silent when discussing the Eastern Arc sats regarding SW64 switch. I have not had a chance to try the GM 1518 yet and wanted to get some input from Winegard on these questions first. I set the GM 1518 switches to # 2 and # 5 down with all others up for eastern Arc.

Question # 2. - Would I be better of using the Western Arc for programing and reception when using the GM 1518 and resetting the receiver each time I went from Home to RV set-up and vice versa? My current zip code is 44004.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the satellite and cable wiring diagram for the 2012 Big Sky 3665RE Montana. Depending on how it is wired, I am told by Winegard, the 1518 manufacture, that I may need to run a direct line from the dish to the receiver. I have 3 cable inputs; cable in, satellite #1 in and satellite #2 in. So I am thinking one of the satellite lines, probably #1, is a direct run from the outside to the living room large TV area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rick B

Bonaventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Keystone doesn’t adhere to any wiring schemes. Each assembler wires each trailer he works on the way he thinks best. Just “Ring” out the Satellite inputs to see where they go.

When I tried to put the satellite system in our trailer I couldn’t find the wall plate with the jumper loop that is supposed to be in each trailer. I called Keystone customer disservice and they told me the wall plate with the jumper loop was an option and my trailer didn’t have it.

I use what I call a “fox & Hound” tool to trace the cable connection that is located in the convince center with the water valves and hookups to the bedroom closet. The Fox & Hound will only read a signal at the end of a coaxial cable because of the way the cable shielded.

Then the big TV in the entertainment center failed. Keystone wasn’t interested and told me to call Toshiba. When we remove the TV at the Toshiba designate service facility in Ft. Smith Arkansas there below it and in the very back wall of the trailer where you couldn’t use it without removing the TV or the Fire Place is the wall plate with the jumper loop.

I checked it with the Fox & Hound. The cable feed goes from the convenience center to the very back of the trailer thru the jumper loop and all the way back to the very front of the trailer. Then the entertainment center in the rear of the trailer is fed with a third wire that goes all the way back to the back of the trailer.

We use the Winegard Carryout portable. We started out with Dish Network and then changed to Direct TV. By setting the dipswitches in accordance with the instructions in the manual the unit works good with either system. I also see 2 more systems in the book that it will work with.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Thanks Phil. You have been helpful. It is kind of interesting Montana doesn't have std procedures for wiring specific units cable.

Rick B
Bonaventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
While Montana does not publish electrical wiring diagrams for their RVs, contrary to what others believe, they do publish the TV and Satellite wiring diagrams. AFAIK every Montana has the identical TV and Satellite wiring configuration. The diagrams have been posted numerous times. Prior to 2010 they used one setup, and subsequent to 1/18/2010 they used a better one (isolated satellite cables). There has been so many requests for the diagrams that John Kohl had them stored as a "sticky" in the Topic "Sticky: "Did You Know" and How to INDEX"

A direct link to the diagrams is here:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324

I can't help answer any of your Winegard questions but I can tell you the Satellite cables in the current Montanas are devoid of splitters or other interfering devices. Each run goes directly from the convenience center to the connection plate in either the entertainment center or the bedroom closet. There is no need to run a new dedicated circuit. Use the ones provided.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

There’s the proof. Our trailer isn’t wired like either one of those drawings!!!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I have a Winegard Carryout. After a couple of hours of trying to get this to work in my 2010 3400RL and numerous posts I gave up trying to figure out how the wiring worked. I went to an RV parts stare and bought a new coax inlet box, drilled a hole from outside right through the back of my entertainment center and installed it. 5 minutes later my satellite worked great. Now I can watch satellite on my main TV and can still run off the antenna for both the main TV and bedroom.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
did same as Trlboy and works great.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote