Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Satellite Internet Service

This year while caretaking a ranch in Sedona Arizona I had Hughes satellite internet service installed on the ranch. I was very pleased with it and now having another system installed for our use in the Monty for the return to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I have done alot of internet searchs and find very little info from RVers that use these systems so I'm looking for feedback from the Montana Forum.

Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I have seen a few rigs with the Hughes Net system. Most simply put up a WIFI amplifier and then used their phone system cards. We use the Verizon MIFI card and have been able to get a connection where ever we are provided that there is any cell phone service. We even tied our wireless printer through the MIFI card.

This system costs us about $50 a month for unlimited service. What does the Hughes Net system cost?
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
If Hughes Net is the only way to get online then you are stuck. I used a tripod system for 3 years before there there was enough cell service to get us by. We now have a MiFi system, a Wilson booster, Wilson Trucker antenna on a mast and a Yagi antenna. There are still times I wish I had the Hughes system, however it could be a PITA. In Mexico there may be no other way.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tonycamacho

This year while caretaking a ranch in Sedona Arizona I had Hughes satellite internet service installed on the ranch. I was very pleased with it and now having another system installed for our use in the Monty for the return to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I have done alot of internet searchs and find very little info from RVers that use these systems so I'm looking for feedback from the Montana Forum.

Tony
Tony,
The Hughes system is good. However they don't give technical support to their systems when mobile. I have a friend who had Hughes and though it worked well, when he needed help they wouldn't give him any.

We use the Starband system for which we were authorized to move whenever we want to. If you'd like some information on the system, I'd recommend you contact Barb Nolley
She's an expert in satellite internet systems and at one time handled both Starband and Hughes. She will give you all the information you want concerning the systems. Tell her Orv Schinke recommended that you call her.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
AaronAnita
Established Member

M.O.C. #10922
Send a message via MSN to AaronAnita
I got online to ask ya'll about satellite dishes. We have Direct TV at home and take a reciever with us. Some use tripods, some sit on the ground, some mount on the ladder and some on the roof. Any recommendations?
AaronAnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We used HughesNet back in 2008-2009 when we traveled for 10 months. We used the tripod system, s setting up was a pain, as well as finding the satellite. We not are FTing with Verizon unlimited data and an antenna booster and I much prefer the latter.

1. Had to take down HughesNet in strong winds. Maybe not pain for an automatic roof system, but we can still be online with a Verizon data plan.

2. Sometimes we could not connect to their satellite, not more a thing, then a few hours later, magically everything worked. Frustrating.

3. Speed was slow.

4. Customer service wasn't great.

So these are our thoughts. I"m sure others will write that they think HughesNet is the best, but not us and we don't miss it at all.

Safe travels~
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Thanks for inputs. I choose Hughes because like said we had it installed at the ranch and it has worked well. We also have the Verizon 4G Hotspot when we are on the road but it will not work in Mexico. We thought about just signing up for another Telmex DSL line and have it installed at my "Casita" RV yard/storage, but that gets expensive to install and 70 bucks monthly for a service I can't suspend when we go north of the border again in the spring; I already have Telemex DSL in the Puerto Vallarta condo that we rented out while we fulltime in the Monty. The Hughes installer that installed the system at the ranch is selling me the equipment and tripod dish for $250. Service will cost $49.99 monthly and I have the option to suspend and restart this service as I need it.

I guess my next question is setup, do I need any type of meter to find and identify the proper Satellite?

Tony

Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you have and android phone, there is a satellite finder app. you can see the satellites and obstructions through you phone camera. Usually you are given an azimuth and an elevation for the zip code you are in. That will give you a starting place for tweeking your setup.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have the MotoSAT G74 dish mounted on the top of the Monty. When we setup we just turn it on. Once it has acquired our GPS location I just press the search button. It takes from 2 to 10 minutes to lock on the satellite, on average 5 minutes. It is that easy. No dish to point. I simply walk off and do other tasks while the dish does it thing. For shutdown I just press the Stow button and walk away.

Only problem I have had was it had bad firmware when we first got it. Once the firmware was updated no problem since then then except when I shut it down too quickly once before it finished it shutdown sequence. Just had to click the re-calibrate button and all has been fine since.

I purchased thru Bill Adams of www.internetanywhere.us. Bill supports the products he sells so I call him when I have a technical issue and not Hughes.net. Other than the original problems in the firmware I have been very pleased with the system. We installed the dish when we bought the trailer in the spring of 2009.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
RICKW:

My wife was blown away when she seen the picure of your rig. I would just love to drive that down the streets in Mexico right on the bumper of some of the local taxis. "Paybacks are hell".

Tony