Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A great report. no issues for three weeks

It has been three weeks since we have had any kind of issues with the Montana. Our record has been four months and we hope to repeat that over the course of the winter. I am posting this merely to present an alternative viewing to the never-ending posting of problems, trials and tribulations that our rigs seem to present us with. Ohhh, almost forgot to put a disclaimer in the post........the rig is in mini-storage and I haven't been there at all!!! The four month record was likewise during the winter layup last year!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself .
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not haver a single problem with our 06 for 6 months then at 8 months all H*** broke loose. We are really apprehensive about the purchase of a new one.We do not want to go through all that crap again and it seems worse with the newer ones.. We did not buy at the rally because we did not want the new rig to sit in Florida for 6 months using up the one year warranty without moving.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We have to be one of the luckiest MOC members here. We have had ours since July '08. The only problems we have had were usually created by us; for instance...not checking all the slides inside for anything that may have shifted during the tow and then opening the slide. We had a couple of "oops" with that one. Also, some of my "improvements" turned out to be less than expected.

Overall, the only real warranty work that I remember is the replacement of the circuit breaker on the hydraulic pump. I don't count the problems with the China Bombs. That's part of buying a Keystone product.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Our 09 was near flawless, but when we saw the 3625RE we loved it. So we dug deep and decided to get it. So far really unhappy with our unit, it appears Keystone got rid of all the QC people.
There are so many small things that just make you shake your head in disbelief. Also many things seem to be of cheaper quality compared to our 09. We have been in contact with Keystone and CW almost daily, so will see how this all turns out. I'll keep you all posted.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That Swanny is what bothers me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My '06 3400 has had several minor problems that were satisfied by Keystone and the black tank being replaced by our warranty company. Whatever else was wrong, I fixed myself. It is too bad that these things are not QC'd as autos are, but anyone expecting a perfect product off the floor should not be buying. Once you work out the kinks you will have a good unit, not great, but really good. If you want great you should be looking for a custom builder and start from scratch.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We did not haver a single problem with our 06 for 6 months then at 8 months all H*** broke loose. We are really apprehensive about the purchase of a new one.We do not want to go through all that crap again and it seems worse with the newer ones.. We did not buy at the rally because we did not want the new rig to sit in Florida for 6 months using up the one year warranty without moving.
Color me confused. If you buy next year won't you still have 6 months in the Winter to set?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Two cosmetic items repaired on warranty, graphics a disappointment . Four and half months on the road this year no problems. It will be four years old next month. It will be back on the road mid Jan.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Just got back from a couple days camping, few more things to report. Entry door will not stay closed while traveling and refrigerator and freeze doors open enough to allow cold air to escape. By no means do I expect perfect, but I do want a product that is constructed like somebody give a damn. This is the problem, the rv industry has everybody right were they want them, not expecting good workmanship and materials. Case in point, our mattress is a POS so I post I don't like our mattress. Most of the posts commenting on this issue said we went out and bought a better one or memory foam topper. Well not me I didn't spend 60G to go out and buy a mattress because they installed a piece of crap. How about tires, a lot of the same thing. I know more people will say the unit will cost more, the so be it. I for one would like it correct the first time. Maybe it's just me, rant over.

kevin
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, we've had our Monty for two years now, 20,000 miles and 202 nights. No major problems and has not been back to the Dealer for anything. Yes we replaced the mattress, thought at first it was really comfortable, but after 3 months this pass Spring decided we wanted something better. Yes we changed tires, our choice, didn't want to worry going down the road, but if you look at the industry seems Marathons are the mainstays for almost everybody out there, TTs and 5ers alike. The Monty is so far ahead or our previous TT, even if we had, had problems it would still be way better than the TT (which advertized Amish Craftmenship). We're made changes to make our Montana ours, and to add to our comfort. Especially since we'll be winterizing the stick house next week and heading for warmer climate til next May. We're very pleased and have no plans for changing, at least til something better with a reasonable price comes along.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

OK, we've had our Monty for two years now, 20,000 miles and 202 nights. No major problems and has not been back to the Dealer for anything. Yes we replaced the mattress, thought at first it was really comfortable, but after 3 months this pass Spring decided we wanted something better. Yes we changed tires, our choice, didn't want to worry going down the road, but if you look at the industry seems Marathons are the mainstays for almost everybody out there, TTs and 5ers alike. The Monty is so far ahead or our previous TT, even if we had, had problems it would still be way better than the TT (which advertized Amish Craftmenship). We're made changes to make our Montana ours, and to add to our comfort. Especially since we'll be winterizing the stick house next week and heading for warmer climate til next May. We're very pleased and have no plans for changing, at least til something better with a reasonable price comes along.

Ditto on our 2009, as I said it was near flawless and this is our second Montana. Funny you mentioned the Amish, I was told this week by a higher up that about 75% of the workers are Amish in the RV factory.

kevin
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For two years now I have had absolutely no problem with the Monty 3400RL.

However, the SOB is another long discussion!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
No problems in last 5 1/2 years, except the converter died and John Kohl put 1 in for me. All my issues were in the first 15 months. Since then it's been a great trailer. We're so pleased with it that we put in a new mattress, fireplace, BFG Comm T/A tires, wet bolt shackles, EZ flex equalizer, lazyboy recliners, LED TV, Jack digital antenna, a built in hamper cabinet,a dometic 310 toilet, and a big drawer under the Range/oven. We took out the sleeper sofa, put 1 of the old recliners in its place plus built a storeage cabinet next to that recliner. When people ask how many it sleeps, the official answer is TWO. Its a keeper. We feel blessed. Thanks to the MOC for all the ideas and help.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
Had ours for 1 year and 1 month and the 8 days and the only thing we have done to it is the gray propane valve replaced. We have pulled it almost 5000 miles and stayed in it for for close to 6 months Jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't leave any of the original parts in it longe enough to wear out...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote