Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
PDI / Delivery of RV

Okay guys......Has anyone bought an RV sight unseen, had them deliver (over 1000 miles) and then did PDI etc. How did you deal with things that were wrong on delivery. andnservice issues. We are full-timers and have gotten a heck of a quote on a 2011 Montana big sky package, but time really won't allow going to get it. Helpful hints appreciated. Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We used the COSTCO RV Buying program and the nearest dealer was in WA and we live in OR. We ordered our Montana through them from the factory exactly as we wanted it. Delivery to us, in OR was included in the deal. They did a full checkout of the unit before it was delivered and the driver delivering it was to do the PDI with us. Well I knew more then he did so that was pretty much a waste of time. We have found a couple of things that needed to be fixed under warranty and our local dealer has been very good about fixing them and honoring all warranty items. They have also answered a few questions for us that have come up.

Bottom line we saved some money and it can work if you have a good local dealer to service your unit because some things will come up as you use your Monty.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Anyone not going through the right procedures to get a suitable unit - visual inspection, negotiation, functional inspection, warranty, etc.- are called "litigants". You'll get whatever you put forth in effort. As Clint Eastwood asked in Dirty Harry, "Do I feel lucky?".

If you can do this with safeguards in place, then do what you're comfortable with - no deal until it passes your inspection. It's the chance you decide to take.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
As I mentioned in another thread, the selling dealer is paid an amount to do asjustments and small repairs, such as cabinet doors, drawer latches, trim moldings, etc. Any other dealer may do the work for you and he may or may not get paid for it, depending if KS approves or denies the claim. Some dealers will do the work and ask you to collect from KS yourself. We do the work at our store and send the claim; some are paid, some are not. We feel that it is a good thing for us to do to raise the standards of our business and have good customer word of mouth advertising. We want our customers to return, again and again. Newer RVs are more complicated than some before. The person who does your PDI and shows you the training class are very important to your success as a satisfied customer. Good luck Larry PS We are just off I95 and try very hard to give people in transit very quick service. Just sayin all dealers are not the same.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Dave,

Last winter when we were looking at several makes of trailers we looked into the cost of having a trailer delivered to us and the cost of going to the factory in Indiana to pick it up. I live in California and it was right at $3,000 to have it delivered to me in Sacramento. I ended up buying from a dealer in Sacramento and we got our 3580RL Big Sky for a total price, tax, lic. delivery, everything out the door for $66,000. We did not order the 2nd AC on the unit but added it after we had it for $1,000.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
When we last traded our RV for our then new Montana we ordered it as we wanted it through RV America Dealer near Loveland, Colorado. It was delivered three weeks after we ordered it. Upon delivery I, and the dealer Service manager, inspected the Montana, checked everything since I have owned RV for over 50 years, and I only wrote the check for final payment after we agreed that everything was checked out. (There were a few little items that needed to be adjusted or fixed before I accepted the unit but they were fixed within an hour or so.)
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I see all kinds of trip check lists on here, but this got me to wondering if there is such a creature as a list of things to check during inspection at delivery?
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
There are several PDI Checklists on the home page of this forum!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

I see all kinds of trip check lists on here, but this got me to wondering if there is such a creature as a list of things to check during inspection at delevery?
Did you look at this one

PDI Check List
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

There are several PDI Checklists on the home page of this forum!
oops...

Thanks Phil and Cathy!! Appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Quote:

I see all kinds of trip check lists on here, but this got me to wondering if there is such a creature as a list of things to check during inspection at delevery?
Did you look at this one

PDI Check List
Thanks William & C.J.!! Appreciate the link.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Quote:

Did you look at this one

PDI Check List
Thanks William & C.J.!! Appreciate the link.

Very good!! Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote