Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
Apollo , Oliveo / Sylvania

On the first set of 10th Anniversary Editions at our dealer in Houston, Keystone incorporated the Oliveo 32" TV and the Apollo Half Time oven. New models came in this week and in place of these appliances were a 32" Sylvania TV, and a Sylvania convection microwave.

Anyone know if this is a permanent change, and what the success rate are with the Sylvania items compared to Oliveo and Apollo? Also, is the convection microwave the same thing as the half time oven.

Our 3400 should be arriving in 3 weeks and I am wondering what Keystone will be using by then

4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Don't know about the other questions, but half time cooking is when you use the convection and microwave together. We are learning to use the convection part. Dianna cooked a great spinach egg casserole, and baked some blueberry bread. All turned out great. The kitchen remains much cooler than when baking with the conventional oven.

In our 2008 Big Sky, the MW/Conv oven is Dometic and the TV is Olevia. I think Keystone changes suppliers for reasons only known to them and at their discretion.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The convection and the halftime should be the same.

Good to see they found an alternative to the 23" Apollo oven.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What you will find in your new camper is whatever Keystone was able to get a good bulk buy on and they will continue to install them till they run out of the product or the contract runs out and another "cost effective" product can not be found.... That is just the way it is..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Hmmm. Maybe Keystone listened to some of the feedback about the Apollo Microwaves and tried to change to one that will not break as often!!!!????
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Just picked up our 10th anniversary 3000RK 2 weeks ago. It had the Sylvania 32" TV but had the Apollo convection microwave. So it would appear they are buying whatever is available at the best price.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Druryg -

It's more like your rig fell inbetween the transition from Apollo to the Sylvania oven on the production line.

Each change requires some engineering adjustments on the production line, so I don't think they bounce around on products too much once they make a decision. They probably buy these appliances in bulks of thousands.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Convection ovens use heated air and force it around the food by a fan. (basically)
A Microwave item is as the term implies. It uses microwaves, usualy from a magnetron,(or Traveling Wave Tube,TWT))

It is my understanding that the "Half Time Oven," is a combination of the two. When employing Half Time Oven cooking you use the Convection half of the cook time and the microwave the other half of the cook time.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If I'm not mistaken Wayne, I think half time is just the Apollo trade name - I believe most all ovens termed "convection" today works on the same microwave/convection principle.

I don't think I've seen a convection only oven for over a decade.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Brad,
Apollo is a trade name, but convection and microwave are two separate technologies. In write-ups on the Apollo, it describes the oven as being able to brown and cook like a gas or electric oven. Microwaves do not brown without special plates. It also states that the Apollo can be used as a regular microwave with 10 settings.

Convection

Microwave

Do y'all remember the term "Radar Range?"
Only Amana could put that tital on their equipment. Everything else became Microwave oven. It was the early 70's or maybe late 60's when Aman came out with the first one. I had one, used, in 1979. But I digress! Sorry.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne, you misunderstand what I'm saying. I realize the technologies are seperate, but the technology of combining them into one oven is certainly not unique to Apollo, even thought the "1/2 time" term may be. Almost all of the convection ovens under 2 cf at Sears use microwave and convection in combination.

By the way - Amana RadarRange replaced Apollo 1/2 Time in my rig
Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 4 beader

....Also, is the convection microwave the same thing as the half time oven...
Brad,
Apollo Half Time Oven is a trademark of Apollo. Any search on "half time oven," will render Apollo after Apollo. Based on my research, the combined simultaneous cooking with microwave and convection is a design of Apollo.

I was trying to answer the original post and explain the differences between convection and microwave and the Apollo combining the two. I have a Sharp Convection/Microwave sitting in the closet to give to my son when he returns from Iraq. I bought it 8 years ago at Sears for 600+ bucks. (I just have to buy everything when it first comes out) The sharp is not a half time oven. It cooks convection or microwave but not simultaneously like the Apollo does.

The Apollo coined the phrase "half time oven," because it uses convection and microwave simultaneously and reduces the cooking time to achieve the half time formula. A regular convection oven will reduce the cooking time of a gas/electric oven by 25-30%. And of course, microwave cooks in minutes but it does not automatically "brown," items nor use convection simultaneously unless it is a "half time oven."

Maybe I'm still confused - it's getting late and the Oscars are over.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The only thing unique about Apollo is they make the only 23" suitable for built in installations (ducted ventilation). The use of microwave simultaneous with convection is quite common. Here is the first of 34 at Sears:

White Kenmore Elite 1.7 cu. ft. Microhood Combination w/Sensor and Convection Cooking System
Sears item# 02280822000 Mfr. model# 80822

Combines linear microwave power & convection heating
Microwave only, convection only, or MWO/convection combination

Here is a countertop model that fits in the Monty hole and under $250 - but no built in ventilation fan

Black Kenmore 1.0 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave
Sears item# 02064289000 Mfr. model# 64289

This 1.0 cu. ft. convection oven provides true convection baking and browning. It produces much more even results than a standard electric oven or a microwave with heat lamps.

Microwave only, convection only, or microwave/convection combination
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The trade mark phrase, "half-time oven" may be owned by Appolo, but the technology is not. My Dometic works the same. I can either run it as a microwave, a convection, or use both microwave and convection in combination, the latter of which is equivalent to an Apollo halftime oven functionally. By-the-way, the picture in the above post for Amana is strangely similar to the appearance of my Dometic.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Convection Microwave is not the same thing as "half time oven" as the words imply only that it is convection or microwave. I guess it's all a play on words.

Random House:
"convection oven
–noun
a gas, electric, or microwave oven equipped with a fan that circulates and intensifies the heat, thereby decreasing the normal cooking time."

American Heritage Dictionary:
"convection oven
n. An oven having a fan that shortens cooking time by circulating hot air uniformly around the food. "

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 4 beader

... Also, is the convection microwave the same thing as the half time oven.....
Convection microwave, as in the original post above, is not the same as what the "Half Time Oven," or the "Convection/Microwave Combined,' meaning symbolizes.

That was my only point.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #16
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Hey Brad, are there any issues with the no ventilation fan? We're kicking around replacing ours. I've had the Apolo replaced 3 times now and it just died on me again. Now it's not under warrenty and I'm getting tired of it.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rick....How did it die... Is it like..no power at all remember there is the Phantom 20 amp in line fuse that will blow and turn everything off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Rich, I wasn't aware of the 20 amp fuse, where is it and how hard is it to replace? That is probally what happened as I have no power to it at all. Was using the convection oven and went out for a walk and when we came back in, nothing. Checked the circuit which didn't trip.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

The convection generates quite a bit of heat, and the Apollo was the only oven I could find that small that had the auxiliary fan and duct that pushed the heat out through the front grill. There are quite a few ovens that will fit the hole, even the trim, but they call for 2" clearance on either side and I couldn't get that much. I figured a standard microwave would do us fine, like we had in our 2003 Monty. We actually never cooked anything in the Apollo before it broke, so I don't miss it at all.

Brad
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I don't understand all the electric stuff (I leave that to Bernie), but I do know this - I do not like the Apollo. For many reasons, but one of them is the darn thing sweats and the condensation runs out under the door, down the stove top hood and drips onto the stove top OR into a pot if you are cooking. It stinks. I mean, really, stinks. Not just in that it is a sorry piece of equipment, it stinks when you use it.

I am happy about one thing though, it can and will be replaced in Elly Mae! Oh yes, I will be taking that Apollo out and installing something else.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote