Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Marc Morgan
Established Member

M.O.C. #8717
Tire Chocking

I apologize if this has been addressed before. The tandem tire chocks that work like a scissor -jack. Are they as good as they say? Can they damage your tires? Do you have to buy a pair or does one side secure rig( 38') even on a hill?

Thanks
Marc Morgan

Marc Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We use the deluxe tire locking chock by BAL from camping world. We have always used them on both sides. I guess our thought is if one side is good both sides will be better. We have been pleased with their performance. I guess if you got crazy on tightening them they could damage the tires or knock the axles out of alighnment. A little common sense should prevent any problems.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Marc,

This topic has been discussed many times. You might try doing a "search" to see what pops up.

I do not use that type of chock so I have no real world info to pass on to you.

However when you chock you should ALWAYS chock both sides of the trailer! If you chock only one side you stand the chance of the rig pivoting. Not something you want to happen. Chocking is the first thing we do when we set up the rig. And it is the last thing we remove when breaking down. I encourage you to chock anytime you remove the trailer from the tow vehicle.

Someone will come along to give some first hand info about the type of chocks you're inquiring about.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Marc, We have been using those type of chocks on our SOB for years with no problems. Ours are the cast aluminum, leverage type. We always chock the tires first thing when we set up and remove them just after we reconnect to the trailer. Never any problems.
Good luck,
Montyman
Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
Marc Morgan
Established Member

M.O.C. #8717
Thanks for the info and sorry about the repeat. I tried searching first, but nothing came up.

Marc
Marc Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we first started full timing those were the chocks we used. After living through a couple years and experiencing rocking forward and aft, we tried the Roto-Choks. For us, they were a great improvement. Forward and aft rocking is minimal, almost unnoticeable.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We also use the Deluxe Tire Locking Chock . Using them on both sides has totally removed all fore and aft movement.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
I use the large plastic CHOCKS from CW. They work good and are considerably cheaper than the roto-Chocks.

YMMV

Gary
deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote