Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Bed Modification?

I thought I previously read a post about somebody replacing the plywood under the bed so they could use an actual king size bed (I believe it was an airbed which would squish when the slide was closed, but I'm not sure, now). But, now, of course, Mr. Search can't find anything. If someone did indeed make this or a similar modification, could you please let us know how you did it and if the extra weight is a problem for the lifts on the bed storage area? Thanks, Sue C

Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I moved the bed plywood toward the foot of the bed and filled the gap at the head with a 1x4 board or something close to that. Then we threw away the Keystone supplied mattress and put in a standard Queen size. If you don't move the plywood the new mattress hangs over by 8" or more and you can"t sit on the end very well. I think a new standard Queen is about 8" longer but the same width as what comes with the trailer. We still close up the slides with the bed in place, it just squishes it a little. The lifts on the bed storage still work fine but I may have had to move those with the plywood sheet.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Our unit came with the queen bed, added plywood over the frame and put a sleep by number king on it.(RV model) Cut it at the hinge and left space for the cover to lift. Left the plastic corner off where it goes against the lav cabinet.
Works great and still can use the under storage.
Robb

2007 3400RL
99 610 Volvo pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Our 07 Mountaineer came with a full length queen, we added a 4" visco foam topper and its plenty comfy, Id bet a King would fit in the slide opening but would cut our walkaround room significantly. The length is just about right, with the slide in it does close tight against our dresser, but at least I know the drawers wont slide open
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Our new unit has queen size plyboard and king size mattress. No room to walk around bed. Wonder who's missing their king size mattress??
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Sue2,
I posted awhile back that we did this.
E-mail me and I can send you pictures and explain a bit.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote