Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We both drive the rig so distance is whatever we feel comfortable with. We most usually are on the road by 9am and off the road by 4 or 5 not all of it driving.. We take a lot of breaks. We may run 100 miles..we may run 300 miles.. We have not been in a hurry to get anywhere since Oct of 2006.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #22
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Our average is 5-6 hours a day with stops, 250-300 miles, starting around 9am and stopping around 3pm. This gives us time to set up and have a happy hour before making dinner and relaxing for the rest of the evening, unless we have other plans.
If we have some major shopping to do, we stay over a day to do it rather than on a travel day.

If it's a one night stop and I don't need fuel, I don't bother unhitching and just level the fiver and put the front landing gear down. With a double pivot hitch, it can get pretty wobbly inside if you don't!
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 AM   #23
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Consider that you start the day working - breaking camp and that night you have to set up. Therefore, we have found that the 200-250 mile range works really well for us. One time several years ago we drove 500 miles in one day and could hardly walk for days. Also being on the Interstates does not always mean a relaxing drive. Lots of passing by the big rigs, etc. put you on edge not to mention the road repairs. Relax and enjoy your trip.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 AM   #24
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
350 miles a day is a pretty good day for us. We stop every 2 hrs for 20 minutes or so. Made the New Orleans to Mansfield, Tx in one day but it made for a long day. We were going to stop in Shreveport but it was raining so decided to drive home. I don't really care to set up in the dark. We enjoy getting off the road between 3-4p, sit back and relax and watch everyone else come in.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #25
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
A lot of great advice. We Harley riders always said the gas tanks were small because you WANT to get off the thing every 100 miles or so! I imagine the same with pulling the 'rig". In my business I had a 40 float to transport sign structures. Pulling the trailer ( which is a whole lot lighter ) is different because it looks so big and heavy. I'll get used to it.
One respondent mentioned the hassle of getting thru Ft. Worth and Dallas, which was my first concern. I'm south of Ft. Worth and have decided to go south toward Houston then cut over toward cleveland then thru country to Beaumont.
My initial concern was where we might "boondock" if there were no campgrounds to overnite, but having spent some time on the internet, I feel we can stay at a Walmart or Flying J etc somewhere around the 250 - 300 mileage and call it a day.

I love this forum ! After discussing this with the wife, told her I'd ask the Monty group and she's be amazed at the response we'd get quickly after posting last night. Well, she was ! so was I ! Thanks for all the opinions, they're all appreciated .
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
we run around 60--65 mph and we go about 400 miles aday but most of the time thats only the first day after that we scale down to about 250 to 300 a day but still travel the 60--65 mph
i placed this on another topic also.....we run with around 120 gal of fuel so we only fill up when were at or campground so we dont stop to much....also.....we run with around 120 gal of fuel so we only fill up when were at or campground so we dont stop to much
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We drive around 250 miles in a day. On days when we are forced to stretch, it will be no more than 50 extra miles. We don't travel more than two days in a row. Then we have at least one day of non travel rest, more if there is something worth doing in the area. We run at 60 mph +/- a mile or two. That is where I get the best fuel economy. On the Interstate, we stop at almost every rest stop.

By-the-way, there are a whole herd of campgrounds along and east of I-45 a bit north of Houston, near Willis, Conroe, and New Caney. Use your computer to look up Texas RV parks and Campgrounds. We always call ahead to make sure there is space for our 38' rig.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #28
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Now that we are retired 250-300 miles tops. We used to do more hitting 600+ on one trip, but we were both working. By the time we make our obligatory pit stops for both us and the dogs, plus one Walmart stop, the day is shot.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We used to travel sometimes three days in a row. But since back surgery in 2008, I've found that I MUST have at least two nights rest before going again. I'd prefer to stay at least three nights in one location but sometimes that's very hard.

I have traveled 375-400 miles on this trip west but that's very abnormal. That means that I have to rest three nights.

I believe one should listen to the body and when it speaks to you, obey!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As you've noticed a lot depends on where you are in your life -- if still working and time is at a premium (as it still is for the wife and I ) then we are known to do 700 miles a day (we have arrived at our destinations in the 0-dark early hours and had to wait to actually find our site, park and set up so as not to disturb our fellow campers. I look forward to the day when we can join the 2 2 2 (or even 4 4 4 crowd) (two hours, 2 hundred miles, or 2 PM, which ever comes first )... What ever you do, be sure to take the necessary rest stops to keep yourself fresh -- even though the trailer pulls like a charm, it is still more stressing than driving solo!! Most of all, enjoy yourselves....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #31
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
8x4 (8 hours or 400 miles whichever comes first). This includes a stop for lunch. If either of us see something we would like to stop and spend some time checking out, we stop no questions asked. It might not have any interest to me, but who knows...tomorrow we might see something that does.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I guess it's kinda like sailing - if you're in a hurry , you need to find another hobby ! Great advice from all, thank you so much for your input.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #33
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
We live 553 miles from Disney, Orlando. We drive it in one day with ease.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #34
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

We live 553 miles from Disney, Orlando. We drive it in one day with ease.
That is 10 hrs of driving and is duable if you don't have to get up the next day and drive another 10 hours. Also, it helps if it's that time of year when the days are longer. We drove that far when we were in vacation mode, but now we are retired and prefer to go no more than 250 miles in one day. My big concern is getting to RV park during daylight. We are in no hurry!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #35
sunrisetosunset
Established Member

M.O.C. #8026
ok....i know this thread is now a bit dated and well answered for anyone but i just figured some might like a little laugh.....the wife and i travel with two dogs and usually one cat (or so) and i make every effort to NOT arrive at a new never been to before campground in dark lest i be attacked while getting my rear end of the anna in the site by whatever boogers there may be there.........add to that the fact that my wife has neck spurs that are HIGHLY aggravated by most hiway bumpa bumpas, we travel the back roads so we won't be seen??.....wasn't that a song??.....anyway......with the stops for food, fuel, critter breaks, pitstops and just being lazy since we work hard and want to relax..........y'all will love this.........we figure an average speed of about 35 miles an hour ......now that's not actual ground speed....i usually set the cruise at 60 and chill when i can, but we DO travel the roads with way more stop and go than a hiway.........we just stop and go with the flow and figure....again....on 35mph......that for an 8 hour day is ....math.........ugh........this is why i grow flowers for a living......something less than 300 miles in a day...how's that......laffs....like so many others have indicated....it jsut depends on what your needs are...where you are going that day AND the next........are you on a mission or chilling??...going somewhere or just going??....enjoy.....be well all..gary
sunrisetosunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #36
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Well, there you have it, sunrisetosunset. In your case, you have an RV, are very casual when you can and since you grow flowers you can, "smell the roses" way more often than most of us. Sounds like a good plan.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #37
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Yes it makes a big difference on how far the overall haul is when deciding how far to drive a day.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Why are so many in a hurry to get there? What will you do different than you would if you arrived two hours later, or heaven forbid, the next day? Enjoy the travel. Don't wear yourself out. I know, I know, it sounds like an older guy talking. Well, you're right. I've been through all that hurry, hurry, hurry. Now I just try to enjoy myself. My wife is happier too! And that says a lot. What does Dr. Phil always say, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Ok, I'm gonna plan on this trip taking between a day to a week . I think that's a good way to plan - I'm gonna use a statistical coefficient of error of 1. 1 being one week in my case. Ha ! what a great range of attitudes and latitudes huh? We'll all get there when we get there. My best ever trips where the ones that 1- weren't planned and 2- didn't have a destination ! So I think a little of those ingredients should go into each trip from now on.Hope to see all of you out there and if so inclined, lets all go to Lafayette for Mardi Gras yall !