Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Kodiak Disc Brakes & Oil Bath Hubs

I have all my parts here and on order to convert our 3585SA to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I also have Kodiak Oil Bath Kits on the way to convert the hubs to oil bath from standard grease. Of course I will be installing all new Timken bearings too.

Has any member done this oil bath conversion and how has it panned out for you?

As a retired trucker I logged 3.5 million miles on oil bath hubs on tractors & trailers with no failures and have high hopes for the same with the Kodiak system.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
51 views and 0 replys! Any comments even if you haven't done oil bath?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
Had oil bath on my boat trailer worked great am very interested in what your doing.
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I posted this a few weeks ago http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70311 as I think you were one of the replies. The seal that comes with the Kodiac kit is a bit of a challenge to install compared to regular wheel seals. A press comes in very handy to get it seated squarely in the wheel hub. It also takes more persuasion than a normal lip seal to get it on the spindle seal land. A press also comes in handy to get the aluminum body that replaces your existing dust cap on as it is a very snug fit to have to tap in on with a board and hammer. The downside is, once the aluminum body is in place on your hub ... it has to be removed to get the outer bearing out of the hub if need be. The outer bearing will not pass thru the aluminum body. The guy's fiver I put the kits on is satisfied so far. You can easily see the oil level in the plastic caps as they fit inside your existing center caps on your "not so EZ" lube axles. Not having to pack wheel bearings every year or two would be priceless to me, and as you say ... tens of thousands of OTR trucks use the oil bath every day. I fear you'll not get too much acceptance of them on the MOC as oil bath strays from the time tested standard of greasing up wheel bearings ... and people resist change. I'll await a bit more feedback from the guy and probably will go with them myself as I was never a fan of repacking wheel bearings.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
I thought that also until I had that boat trailer, I was impressed!
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Question? Can this be done on a new rig without voiding warranty? I want to do the disk brake and oil bath on our new 5er after I get it in April. Having over 40+ years experience with heavy hauling construction equipment with little to no trouble with oil bath hubs.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Sorry I can't answer question about warranty but I do appreciate your input. I am going ahead as planned with the oil bath.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I find the EZlub system very useful. I am now approaching 100,000 miles on our trailer and have never had to replace a bearing and have never removed them to grease them.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

I find the EZlub system very useful. I am now approaching 100,000 miles on our trailer and have never had to replace a bearing and have never removed them to grease them.

Phil P
So you're still operating on original brakes?

Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
So you're still operating on original brakes?
Hi

The statement I made was “never removed them to grease them”.

I did the brakes at about 45,000 miles this doesn’t require removing the inner bearing and I did not clean and grease the outer bearing.

Here is something for you to think about, the front wheel bearings on your TV are not serviceable you can’t even open the bearing pack to inspect the bearings and they go 200,000 plus miles.

Now for a little background, I worked with my father moving heavy loads (100,000 lbs plus) starting at about 14. We did not use the oil filed hubs however I have used the oil filed hubs on the 18 wheelers and they are very effective. We also did not have any scheduled wheel bearing maintenance.

The practice of removing, cleaning and repacking is desirable on the trailer that sits without use for extended periods of time like when the trailer is used once a year for a 2 week vacation.

Trailers and powered vehicles that are in constant use heat the bearing assemblies and allow the grease to “flow” often. Units that sit allow the oil in the grease to separate and cause the material that normally holds the oil in suspension to harden. This results in poor lubrication.

I am not recommending not doing a yearly wheel bearing inspection and repack the lubricant for the unit that sits 11 months out of the year.

At the same time our trailer has 98,000 miles in 7 years 14,000 miles a year. Doing the annual inspection and repack would raise the risk of inadvertent contamination of the grease during this process. Instead I check wheel bearing temperature periodically during every trip and do the EZlub once a year.

Something that needs to be performed on every new trailer before you pull it more than a few 100 miles is to do the EZlub procedure because the axles come from the manufacturer with little or no lubricant in them.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
BrokenWallet
Established Member

M.O.C. #17981
Quote:
I have all my parts here and on order to convert our 3585SA to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I also have Kodiak Oil Bath Kits on the way to convert the hubs to oil bath from standard grease. Of course I will be installing all new Timken bearings too.

Has any member done this oil bath conversion and how has it panned out for you?

As a retired trucker I logged 3.5 million miles on oil bath hubs on tractors & trailers with no failures and have high hopes for the same with the Kodiak system.
Which brake set did you get
BrokenWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I decided on the Kodiak e-coated and the Hydrastar HBA-16 actuator. I also will be using the Kodiak oil bath kit, Timken bearings, and a Kodiak line kit.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #13
BrokenWallet
Established Member

M.O.C. #17981
Quote:
I decided on the Kodiak e-coated and the Hydrastar HBA-16 actuator. I also will be using the Kodiak oil bath kit, Timken bearings, and a Kodiak line kit.
Did you use the kit with or without 1 piece rotor hub assembly
BrokenWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
One piece rotor/hub. I am still waiting on "kit" for 1 axle. etrailer.com only had my parts for 1 axle when I ordered. Other axle parts supposed to ship in about a week from now. I already have the actuator installed along with the brake lines and electrical wiring.