Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Dexter Torflex vs MorRyde IS

Anyone looked at the Dexter Torflex System as an upgrade vs. the MorRyde IS? Dexter advertises it as being close to or equivalent to IS and it is less expensive. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the one thing that comes to mind is that the IS are 4 completely independent wheels. the Dexter Torflex System still have an axle.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd let someone else be the test pilot. IS has work well for many years and many miles.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
Go with what's proven.Mor-Ryde IS has been out a long time and is probably the best ride on 4 wheels out there.They have 4 grease fittings to grease every 6,000 miles and do it your self inspection and that is about it.With 4 wheel disc brakes also that is about the best undercarriage you can have under your RV.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
We just had MORryde 8K IS and Disc Brakes installed. Price is not that bad concerning what you get. IS system is a lot more heavy duty vs stock system. I don't know anything about Dexter Torflex, but as others have said, MORryde IS has been around for some time.

Check out photos at

https://goo.gl/photos/v71Hyh2eCSuLnVV86

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am going to give you an education about both suspension systems. They are both a good system the Dexter system has been around for many years.

The Dexter Torflex axels have been around a long time. There is nothing wrong with them however the Moryde system uses a trailing link type suspension system and the Torflex uses a rubber torsion suspension. The trailing link suspension system is far more efficient in smoothing out the road than the rubber torsion suspension. They are comparable and the advantage with the Torflex is the less weight and fewer wear points.

There is a misconception is this business of the Moryde not having an axel this totally incorrect in fact the Moryde system has twice as many axels as the Torflex system. The Moryde has the stub axel with a hub that has the wheel bearings in it and then has the larger swing axel at the top of the arm this is the large tube you see in 7.3 Ford’s pictures 7 and 8.

I had a closed cargo trailer with the Dexter Torflex axles and it road smoother than the standard spring setup. The trailing link suspension system by nature would be much smoother.

Now all we have to do is see what comes up for maintenance on the Moryde suspension system. There has been one post here about abnormal tire wear with the Moryde suspension system. Even though I requested the poster to advise us about what work was performed to correct this I have not seen any updates.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Need to hear from IS experience.....

We are scchedule to have the IS and brakes put on our 2011 montana in May. Have tried 3 years to get them install around the Fall MOC rally and never could do it. So in May 2017 we are going to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for 6 weeks, But we are going east from Texas to Mor-ryde in Goshen Indina first then across the north to Yellowstone . This way we will get our IS......

My question: has anyone experience problems with their IS, soon after install which would require returning to Mor-ryde.

Thanks
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I had mine installed in September last year. I've pulled over 2500 miles with no problems
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We did need to have the alignment redone on our I/S about 3 months after the installation in Indiana. I knew the installer was having trouble with the alignment after installation so I kept a close eye on tire wear on the trip back to California. I could see that one of my G-614s was wearing more that the others,so I called a alignment shop in Tucson to get an appointment to have it checked. After getting it in the shop it was determined that 3 of the 4 were out of Mor/rude specs. It was also determined that 3-4 wheel bearings were not installed correctly. The shop is a approved Mor/ryde facility, so they called Mor/ryde on my behalf to describe the problem and Mor/ryde payed the $700 bill. Note: Rob at Mor/ryde is great to work with and I would not hesitate to go through the installation process again. Great Company.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty1 View Post
The shop is a approved Mor/ryde facility, so they called Mor/ryde on my behalf to describe the problem and Mor/ryde payed the $700 bill. Note: Rob at Mor/ryde is great to work with and I would not hesitate to go through the installation process again. Great Company.
Hi

This is the sign of a quality manufacturer that produced one unit out of tolerance and then stepped up to the plate and corrected the problem without abusing the new owner.

Unlike Keystone.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote