Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
AC Question

Hi Everyone:

We have a 2015 Big Sky 379RL. The Air Conditioner in the bedroom seems to be cycling too much. When it is on it seems to stop and start too much. It will run for a few minutes and then shut down and show the hourglass on the controller. Very cold air is coming out but it seems to be shutting off too much and not getting to the set point. Anyone else see this with their AC? Trying to learn here.

Thanks,

Steve

Sundown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have not.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
There should be a small temperature sensor that is for zone 2 mounted somewhere on the bedroom ceiling. If one of the ac ducts is blowing directly on this sensor that will make the ac shut off too early.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:55 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
When we have our zone 2 (bedroom) main dump register all the way open it will let too much cold air blast around the temperature sensor, and that will make the compressor shut down. When it is really hot out the sensor heats up within 2 or 3 minutes and calls for air again.

What we do is keep that main dump register only part way open during the day and it seems to help regulate it better. At night we take the fan off "automatic" and put it on "low" and close that main register.

Where they located those little sensors was not the best place.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Agreed. We keep our dump half open and the registers pointed totally away from the sensor.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi JandC:

I am not familiar with the main dump register. Can you describe where I would find it? I have two air intakes in the bedroom and two outlets from the Air Conditioner. I pulled the filters on the intakes vents and cleaned them. When the air is on it is nice and cold but keeps shutting down. Tonight I am going to pull the cover off of the sensor on the ceiling and see if all looks OK.

Thank you so much for the help!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

When we have our zone 2 (bedroom) main dump register all the way open it will let too much cold air blast around the temperature sensor, and that will make the compressor shut down. When it is really hot out the sensor heats up within 2 or 3 minutes and calls for air again.

What we do is keep that main dump register only part way open during the day and it seems to help regulate it better. At night we take the fan off "automatic" and put it on "low" and close that main register.

Where they located those little sensors was not the best place.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi WebeFulltime:

Thanks for the reply. I am going to pull the cover on the sensor tonight and check it. I am also going to re-direct the air from the AC Duct away from the sensor.

Again thanks so much for the help!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

There should be a small temperature sensor that is for zone 2 mounted somewhere on the bedroom ceiling. If one of the ac ducts is blowing directly on this sensor that will make the ac shut off too early.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
On our bedroom air, the panel in the ceiling that has the filter also has opening vents behind that..."quick dump vent". John
Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi John:

Thanks so much for the reply. On my intake vents there is no other vents or adjustments that I can see on the outside. Do I need to take the vent cover off to see the quick dump vent?

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

On our bedroom air, the panel in the ceiling that has the filter also has opening vents behind that..."quick dump vent". John
Old 05-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I assume you have the whisper quiet A/C package with 2 return ducts (square) and 2 supply ducts (round) in your bedroom. The returns are fixed with a filter sandwiched between the grill and the ceiling ... the supply can be rotated 360 degrees. What others are talking about is the previous style of A/C where the return duct was a single panel right in the middle of the bedroom directly under the A/C on the roof. You have no dump if you have the new whisper quiet design. Still make sure the vents are not pointing to the sensor in the ceiling.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi Dieselguy:

Yes our AC is the Quiet Cool air conditioning system with heat pump. The heat pump is in the main AC not the Bedroom.. Thank you so much for the reply. I plan on changing the direction of the AC vents. That very well could be causing the problem.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I assume you have the whisper quiet A/C package with 2 return ducts (square) and 2 supply ducts (round) in your bedroom. The returns are fixed with a filter sandwiched between the grill and the ceiling ... the supply can be rotated 360 degrees. What others are talking about is the previous style of A/C where the return duct was a single panel right in the middle of the bedroom directly under the A/C on the roof. You have no dump if you have the new whisper quiet design. Still make sure the vents are not pointing to the sensor in the ceiling.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Ours did this for awhile, then it completely shut off with an error code on the thermostat. I can't remember the code, but it was a communication error . . ? We took it to a Keystone dealer and there was a bad connection on the communication wire between the front and rear a/c. (This wire looks like a phone line.) Once that connection was done properly, there was never another problem. Hope yours is this simple.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

No error code or shut down as of yet. Thank you so much for the reply it is good information in case I do get an error code or a shut down.

Thank you,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virginia Young

Ours did this for awhile, then it completely shut off with an error code on the thermostat. I can't remember the code, but it was a communication error . . ? We took it to a Keystone dealer and there was a bad connection on the communication wire between the front and rear a/c. (This wire looks like a phone line.) Once that connection was done properly, there was never another problem. Hope yours is this simple.