Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Parking my Dually is not a problem!

In one or more of the recent threads, people have complained about parking a Dually. In three years, I never had a single problem parking either of my F450's. Costco, Wallmart, on the street, never an issue. Even found Parking on Wall St when I visited my son in NYC. (He nearly had a fit when he saw I brought the Dually, lol ). For 30 years I drove new Cadillac Fleetwood's Broughams. Lots of clients to pick up, wine and dine, needed the room, plus they were comfortable. Those cars were big sedans and I could park them anywhere. I guess that's where I learned to park and gained confidence. Now I realize the F450 has nearly half the Turing radius of other trucks, but as far as fitting in parking, I always do. Usually I fold in my mirrors, and take care not to block someone's door from opening. I guess I never give it a thought. Many times I back into spaced because that's even easier. I also take advantage of commercial plates where law allows. I also cone the rig! I try not to peeve anyone but rally ladies and gents I never sweat parking! Opinions? Lol

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Not a problem for me my man as I was a truck driver and like you said I back into a lot of spots or park in the back 40.. BUT the little woman(all 5ft 2in) will NEVER and I mean NEVER take that BIG Butted rig anywhere near a shopping mall parking lot,she cannot even see over the hood without sitting on a telephone book,I am sure there are ladies out there that have no problem doing that but not mine,when we get off the road for the Winter and park our rig in our home Resort the Lexus comes out of storage and I mean QUICK
Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Parking garages, drive throughs and car washes. That's all i've had an issue with after 10 years in the Dodge dually as a daily driver. It'll be the same thing with the new dually. Now, I have used the excuse "I'm in the dually, i'm not going in there" to get out of a couple places I really didn't want to go like the mall LOL. Try that with a SRW.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes! No carwash, few drive in's lol. But I do love Starbuck drive up, never touch the curbs! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We spend winters close to the beaches in SW Florida. Some of the restaurants and places we go have pretty tight parking. Last year we found it even unpleasant parking and using the SRW as a daily driver. This year we purchased another vehicle (Wrangler) and will store it in Florida when we are not down there.

When I look back on our travels the past 2 years there was probably only been a few times I can think of where having a dually would have been a problem.

I was never willing to trade off the convenience of having a SRW verses a DRW. However, now that we have gone to another Montana model I am maxed out on my weight limits. I have shifted some things around in both the truck and Montana and will be going over the scales again.

When, or if, I ever trade for a newer TV it will be a F350 or F450 dually. I am thrilled with how my current F350 SRW handles towing but I am tired of constantly monitoring my weights and trying to keep it "lean" as possible.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can always find a parking spot for our duallies . We may have to take two spots lengthwise and many spots are narrow for the big butt. Parking is just inconvenient not impossible.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You can just shove those little cars out of the way to make room for the big dogs. You know little stuff like Porches Lambos and Hellcats.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

You can just shove those little cars out of the way to make room for the big dogs. You know little stuff like Porches Lambos and Hellcats.
Lynwood
Lambos aren't tall enough to push. You have to drive over them instead.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It just depends on what you're doing with them. I seldom see a rancher with a dually who doesn't have some damage to the fender. Seems like sooner or later they or their hands try to fit it somewhere it doesn't belong.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I would hate to portray to a possible newbie dually owner that our dually/long box is a breeze to drive around much like the 2500 short box they currently are using. Most certainly it's doable, for myself just a bit inconvenient, but when it comes to the DW the dually is mine to drive most all the time. As Rich mentioned the length can be as much of a consideration as the width with strip malls and drive through places becoming a bit a challenge.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I don't have any problems. I just make my own room.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My dually is my daily driver around town as the wife usually drives the CTS....but here in Texas there are lots of dually daily drivers. Those rancher busted hips are usually caused by cattle or them loading stuff over the side or off roading out in their pasture areas ... My biggest problem is the length...I usually park out so I can take 2 places so I don't stick out....good exercise. If it wasn't for the fuel mileage I would drive it and my CTS would sit and rust away..lol....my truck is way more comfortable then the Caddy....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Generally not a problem. In a couple of rare instances, we have parked at the far end of the lot and cradle two spaces. Minor point for us anyway, we have a dually to have the best tow vehicle, not for ease of parking.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Of course we do not use the dually as a daily driver 95% of the time it has the Montana hooked to it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Although I had driven them for years at work, I bought my first Dodge dually in 2001, it was a daily driver and a TV for our trailer, first 5er and the current Montana before I traded it in on the 2012. 350,000 miles on the '01 and no damaged rear fenders or other parts, could not take either through a car wash but I can live with that. If I want to get a treat at DQ I just go inside although I have been through some of their drive through locations.
The benefits of a DRW when towing far outweigh the "few" places I am not able to park and since I am not a fast food fan their drive through locations are no loss to me.

As long as I am towing I will own a DRW but my wife does not drive it and that is fine with me, actually preferred by me. If it were not for the cost of operating it I would "never" sit my butt in the Nissan. Everyone has a different perspective and lifestyle and a DRW is not for everyone, if you are not comfortable then stick to the SRW as long as it meets the weight requirements of the unit you are towing.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
I "like" the challenge!!!

Love it when i can be up front and "fit" in and the put the mirrors "in" to walk by so people getting into theirs do not bump heads!!!

It is our only vehicle for last 3 years. Supermarkets, hair salons & a couple drive-thrus! Not Starbucks though. . Have only seen the "older" single lane ones.

Car washes .... Use the truck washes with the name Blue in it.

PS. I used to drive city buses also. Had a full-size 1976 GMC 3/4 Ton window van that was the family vehicle. Drove it for over 300,000 miles per the hubby. Back to Illinois (family) every other year. 4,000 mile round-trip there.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Let's remember it's not just about parking. Our truck is our off road exploring vehicle, just look at it's desert pin striping. Doing a jeep trail with a SRW is challenging enough without the extra width. You need the vehicle for the way you drive. Do I wish I had a dually when the line squall hits while towing the Monty down the road, sure. Am I glad I don't have one when I'm going thru a wash and have to pull my mirrors in to get between the two ironwood trees, you bet.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #18
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We haven't had a problem parking our dually either, however we have had two instances where people who have gotten their drivers licenses out of a box of Cracker Jacks have not been able to figure how to park next to us. We now tend to park in the far reaches of the lot in hopes that those types find somewhere else to park.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Dick I think that's why they sell snow plow packages in the desert rat states.

Disclaimer I do Tread Lightly

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Let's remember it's not just about parking. Our truck is our off road exploring vehicle, just look at it's desert pin striping. Doing a jeep trail with a SRW is challenging enough without the extra width. You need the vehicle for the way you drive. Do I wish I had a dually when the line squall hits while towing the Monty down the road, sure. Am I glad I don't have one when I'm going thru a wash and have to pull my mirrors in to get between the two ironwood trees, you bet.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I can park my dually with no problems, I will usually back it into a spot, which is much easier than driving into it, so when I leave I have clear vision of the road or street I am entering into. almost like driving a fork lift that way.