Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
paulandrita

M.O.C. #8266
Battery Disconnect Switch

When preparing the 2008 2955RL for temorary storage, moved the battery disconnect switch in the utility compartment to "OFF". Noticed all 12V lights and equipment still working!!! 1) How can I tell if the switch is OK and 2) how is it supposed to be wired?

paulandrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
On my 3400RL, the battery disconnect switch does not affect the landing gears and stabilizers per my dealer. He said it keeps things like the CO2 detector from drawing down the battery. Never checked to see if my lights worked. I am wondering if it affects only non swithced components.
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That switch always confuses me. I simply turn the 12V light on in the convenience center where the battery disconnect switch is and set the switch in the position where the light goes off. If neither position works, then I would assume the switch would be bad, but I have not heard of that switch going bad in any forum posts that I have read.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A disconnect switch that does not turn off the 12v lights is not a very good disconnect switch. The point is that the battery doesn't get drained if you accidently leave a light on. The landing gear uses a switch that only draws power when you hold it down so it makes sense that a disconnect switch might be wired around this. I think Bingo has a very good point that the switch might be bad even though it's rare, except..... May I suggest to check the manual and hopefully there is something on what the disconnect switch is disconnecting, or contact Keystone - at the dealer I have been told too many things that were incorrect. I have had great success with the Keystone manual or Keytone Tech support.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
If the unit is plugged into 120 volt power you may still be supplying the unit with 12 volts through the converter even if the battery is off. JMHO - John
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
paulandrita

M.O.C. #8266
Thanks all. The landing gear and stablizers work w/wo the switch. I still get lights when disconnected from 120v and the switch at either OFF or ON. I can't get to the back of the switch by removing the face plate, so I've got to try another access. If I find the switch is OK, then it must be how it's wired.... any help on how it should be set up?
paulandrita is offline   Reply With Quote