Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Furnace

Last night, with the outside temps in the low 40s, I set the thermostat for 60...came on a few times but only ran for a minute or so. Got up, increased the thermostat to 75...did not come on at all for an hour, then ran for a minute (I timed it), shut off and never came back on...temps inside lower 60s.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Got gas?
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When you run the furnace for the first time in awhile or right after refilling the gas bottles you may have acquired some air in the lines. You should here two distinct sounds when the furnace comes on, one is the sound of the fan coming on and the other the burner kicking on. If the burner does not fire up then the fan will shut down after awhile. I suspect that there is still some air in the lines. Try turning the furnace on and letting it cycle several times. It needs to draw gas to the burner. Also go out and check the burner for cobwebs or wasp nests which will also prevent the burner from starting up... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree with Dave sounds like air in the lines. I have also heard if you run you burner on the Stove it will help in getting the air out. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
If you turned on the gas at the tank quickly it can shut off the safety device. Another suggestion is to turn it off for a few minutes, than turn it on very very slowly. If you hear a little "pop" it may mean the safety device has activated again. good luck
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the same problem last week. Air in lines.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Sounds like the fan is coming on, but no ignition. If the furnace does not light after 3 attempts, it will "lock-out". There is a switch on the back of the furnace that you can toggle off and then back on to reset.

Try turning the furnace on and go outside to the exhaust vent and hear if there is a clicking noise - this is the ignitor (kinda like your bbq). If it clicks, then nothing, clicks, then nothing, clicks, then nothing; this means no ignition which could be a number of things which we can get into if the air in the lines was the culprit.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I had a problem with mine furnace on our 2002 3295rk with timing out often. It would take a two cycles to ignite and only heat for one cycle. I found the igniter was very corroded and was not working every time. When I took it out I could see the problem right away. The couple I bought it from had lived in it for 3 years while building a house. The furnace was their main heat source so it was well used. So if older unit might check that. Also could be sail switch not working because of low fan speed or air flow.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Had the same problem last night. I pulled out the fuse and it was good, when I put it back in it started.
I had no more problem last night and it started with no problems tonight.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Found out the auto propane change over system had changed over, creating air in the line. So I lit stove by match, getting the propane up to the heater, turned on the furnace and all is well.

Thanks for the help.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote